NEW CD ALL IN GOOD TIME: MIGHTY FINE, MIGHTY FINE !

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

NEW CD ALL IN GOOD TIME: MIGHTY FINE, MIGHTY FINE !

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:17 am

Several years back when Pure Prairie League resurfaced we were teased with a few shows and the promise of new music .As I've mentioned before, the band always took the position it would happen when the time was right. True to their words, PPL waited until they had the time to do things their way, the right way.

Founder Craig Fuller and longtime bassist and leader Mike Reilly began to fulfill their vision of PPL’s return around 1999-2000. Joining forces with them were some of the top musicians available: Curtis Wright, a singer-songwriter-guitarist who has written and performed with many of today’s top country acts, Rick Schell , co-founder of country music upstarts Pinmonkey , on drums and Fats Kaplin on pedal steel, fiddle, mandolin, washboard and accordion. PPL performed on a limited basis for a few years, then took a more aggressive approach in 2005, touring nationally before some wildly enthusiastic crowds. Rejecting several contract offers, PPL opted for full artistic control. And now we all benefit from that decision, one which was motivated with enormous pride.

Rich harmonies, outstanding lead vocals, superior , creative writing , superb pedal steel, invigorating , expert musicianship, were all terms used to describe Pure Prairie League throughout the years.

All In Good Time delivers all of these and in grand style. In many ways, it exceeds our expectations. And let's face it, our expectations were very high. And why not ? Their self titled debut LP, Bustin’ Out, Two Lane Highway, Live ! Takin’ The Stage and Firin’ Up are among the most critically acclaimed releases of the genre. PPL has put together a release that carries on in the proudest of traditions, one that has seen some of the most talented and successful musicians of our time pass through it. Add this lineup and CD to the legacy of music that has both energized and thrilled us for decades.

All In Good Time, laced with catchy hooks and crafty lyrics, is dazzling display of tunes which capture you immediately. The return of Fuller and the presence of Reilly virtually guaranteed that , but the unique and immense talent of every member of this group truly brings this to a level of excitement similar to the height of country rock’s heyday. Kaplin’s work shines throughout this CD and Schell provides a driving background and superb harmonies. Wright's lead guitar is a thing of beauty and it carries on in the proud PPL tradition of gifted guitarists. He serves notice he is among the elite when it comes to singer/songwriters. Unlike many groups who reunite but have nothing significant to say, PPL’s All In Good Time roars out at you.

It’s all there. The lighthearted, upbeat songs dealing with relationships and life ( Gettin’ Over You, Don’t Go Confessing Your Love, Walking In My Sleep, That Changes Everything Again), to the more serious, soulful tunes which prey on your emotions ( I Sure Do Miss You Now, One Of Those Things, Nothing Like The Lonely) to the reflective, whimsical take on Meant To Be. Fuller is a master at delivering a song in a style that forces you to pay attention, his voice still a thing of beauty. The acoustical and electric guitars are crisp and inventive. The sparse arrangements work perfectly as PPL wisely relies on their own output, no need for any additional production enhancements.

Wright's lead vocals on two songs, Here Tomorrow, Gone Today and If You Say What I’m Thinking are smooth and powerful. If You Say What I’m Thinking ,a live cut from a Chillicothe OH PPL reunion show , features legendary co-founders John David Call on steel and George Ed Powell on guitar. The roar of the hometown crowd adds to the excitement. An enthusiastic performance, the recording is flawless.

Cajun Girl, from Craig‘s Little Feat days, is a rousing, spirited rendition with some sensational accordion. Fuller fans who thrive on his more hardened, serious state of mind will no doubt find themselves ensconced in The Cost Of Doing Business , a powerful tune written with Wright. A brutally honest commentary on the music scene in Nashville, the song gives you a snapshot look at the struggles of a singer-songwriter’s dilemma and serves as both a reality check for aspiring musicians as well as a soulful reflection from those who have been there.

You say you're sick and tired
of what you have to do
to just keep pace these days
all the hoops you have to jump through,
they make you crazy and drag you down
as you work to keep your good name in this town
Well it's time you said your goodbye
to the innocence of youth
and open up your heart
to the cold hard truth
That's just the cost of doing business
forget that stuff about a rags to riches
it's never black or white
only shades of gray
You better believe nobody needs you
be ready to bite the hand that feeds you
as you choke in all the words
you swore you'd never say
That's just the cost of doing business these days

Considering the enormous success and reputations Fuller and Wright have, what would they have come up with if no one ever gave then a listen ! Of course Craig delivers the passionate vocals as no one else could, his heart once again on his sleeve. What a terrific piece of work on all counts.

Fuller's vocals are still a powerful instrument which he continues to play with an intense passion. Even in a studio, he knows how to work a crowd.The various inflections and tones he delivers throughout the CD put across his feelings like few can. His uncanny ability to make you feel what he does, no matter what the emotion, has become his trademark. And it's a remarkably effective presence here. Close your eyes, listen, and try to convince yourself it is not 1972. It's country rock at it's best, delivered by a band who was cited for bringing it into the national music mainsteam over 30 years ago.

All In Good Time serves us a very generous portion of the band’s brand of country, done to a turn, seasoned with all the ingredients needed to leave your mouth watering. And asking for another serving, too.

The strong ties Craig developed during his years in Nashville make their presence felt here yet PPL steers clear of falling into what has become the dreary repetitious sound coming out of Nashville. It’s PPL doing what it’s always done: they remain true to themselves, creating a sound that does not compromise their vision, yet manages to capture the ears of their adoring faithful fans, the “prairiedogsâ€
Last edited by Tom on Thu May 24, 2012 7:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby MartinD28 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:09 pm

To me the cut that stands out is "The Cost Of Doing Business". This song is very very strong - good message / lyrics and nice chord structure. I really like everything about this song. Craig's vocals are superb - he hasn't lost a bit over the years!

I pulled out a guitar and have figured out the majority of the "The Cost Of Doing Business". I enjoy jamming along with the fellas and figuring out the chords to new songs by great musicians. And these guys certainly are!
MartinD28

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi Martin, yes I agree that's a great song. Each time I listen to this CD, I get something more from it, and I've heard it countless times already. It's classic PPL, great singing, songwriting and musicianship that most bands would kill for . My favorites change by the day, each cut is superb and has something long lasting to offer.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:42 am

On first listen, the new CD sounds as crisp, fresh, tightly-produced and energetic as the very first PPL album. But I'll reserve my review until I become more familiar. So far, I'm not disappointed...the classic Craig Fuller/PPL feel and sound is definitely still there.
Dan
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

All In Good Time... Means Good Time For All

Postby kdrapcho » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:44 am

This CD was well worth the wait. The production work gives you a sense of intimacy with the band. It's crisp and clean and not overdone. Close your eyes and the band is in the room with you. And Craig's voice is like a fine wine, better with age... Please just don't make me wait this long for the next one...
kdrapcho

Postby LJDJShow » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:17 am

Everytime i listen to this cd it gets better and better.
I told someone last week that the songs are great.
Curtis just sings his butt off on Here Tomorrow Gone Today.
Bout time to post some 2006 tour dates on here?
pollstar.com shows about 4 dates for 2006 for PPL.
Happy New Year

PS Tom You done a hell of a job on the details on the cd in this topic.
LJDJShow

LJDJShow

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:32 am

Thanks for that 2006 tour info...I hope there are many more dates.

So far it's...

CONCERT SCHEDULE
Pure Prairie League

Date City, ST Venue
Fri 03/17/06 Grover Beach, CA Mongo's

Sat 04/29/06 Stuart, FL Lyric Theatre

Fri 07/14/06 Steelville, MO Wildwood Springs Lodge

Sat 07/15/06 Steelville, MO Wildwood Springs Lodge
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby LIDog » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:42 am

What a great listen. It's especially nice to hear the studio renditions of songs that they played on tour this year. I won't bother repeating what has been said here already, but I'll say that I'm very happy with the result. They've created a great cd that will fit in well in both country and classic rock circles, which has always been the trademark of PPL's best records. Better yet, this cd sounds different from any other PPL record, another trademark of PPL!
I guess I'm going to be ordering more cds. I know some folks who are definitely going to enjoy it. Congratulations, guys. See you in 2006.
P.S. And yes, the Chillicothe show sounds terrific. I want to hear the rest!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all...
LI Dog
LIDog

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:12 pm

Ordering this today.

Also, making sure I'm still part of this forum. (THANKS TOM!!!)

Been looking forward to this since Oct, 04, when Mike first announced plans to record new music in '05...after an amazingly tight show by the 4 piece band (minus Fats...he hadn't been back yet).
billyJvoltare

Postby davelefeber » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Really like the new CD as well. great review. Fuller still has the vocals, not a weak song on the record. Really enjoy listening to the Fuller material. Track one is very strong and would seem a candidate for SAT RADIO and some AAA stations. Seems like A LIVE CD would be next.
davelefeber

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:00 pm

davelefeber wrote:Really like the new CD as well. great review. Fuller still has the vocals, not a weak song on the record. Really enjoy listening to the Fuller material. Track one is very strong and would seem a candidate for SAT RADIO and some AAA stations.

Seems like A LIVE CD would be next.

Dave, as Skynyrd says "You sure got that right"

I know the day and the place to start too.

Chillicothe, Ohio October 1, 2005.

Wow what a night!

Thanks again Craig and Mike and Curtis and Rick and JD and Andrea and Coffey and George Ed and Tommy Mc and Barry and Rick Barnes and all the myriad other people behind the scenes who made this night possible.

My birthday is September 29th and my wife gave me this night as my birthday present.

Please let me hear more than just "If You Could Say What I'm Thinking" that was a bonus on "All In Good Time"!

I would say it is great to have Pure Prairie League back but to those of us dogs who have followed them over the years we know they never really went anywhere and they were always here!! 8)

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby billyJvoltare » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:03 pm

Sure sounds to me like it's unanimous:

A full release of the Chillicothe, Ohio show (or shows), if indeed they were recorded.
Sounds like it would be a winner in every respect.
:idea:
billyJvoltare

Postby Proud1 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:25 am

Was gonna post saying how eager i was to get the cd, but it arrived this morning, So i,m a very happy chappy. Unbelievable stuff, a new PPL album after all these years, and an excellent one at that. As someone yet to see PPL live., you can imagine how much i appreciate the live track, sure hope they do release a live cd of the show in the future. And i'm still hoping and praying, they find time to tour the UK sometime in the future also.

Happy new year everyone.

Roger.
Proud1

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:57 am

billyJvoltare wrote:Sure sounds to me like it's unanimous:

A full release of the Chillicothe, Ohio show (or shows), if indeed they were recorded.
Sounds like it would be a winner in every respect.
:idea:

gator wrote: Actually, Mike Reilly recorded both shows. They set up a 24-track digital recorder. The Friday show didn't do well, but as I heard it from Mike, the Saturday show came out pretty good.
I'm not sure what he's going to do with the recording after it's mixed down, but I'll check with him and see if a live CD is in the works or not.

As Gator said Mike had it recorded on a "24-track digital recorder" so the quality we heard on "All In Good Time" should probably be just as good for the whole show.

I know "I'm Almost Ready" for my copy of the full Chillicothe show "live".

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Might Fine! Mighty Fine! Mighty Fine!

Postby Plum Rose » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:31 am

Tom, your review was wonderful and right on the money!! So rather than take each song and comment (which I could!) you have said it all! Your review should be published!
When you listen to a song and feel that it comes straight from your own heart... When you wonder, "How does Craig know exactly how I feel?" That is a very good song. The harmonies are truly beautiful, the instruments, tempo and key changes--wonderful! The artwork is also right up there! The crowd will be shouting for all of these NEW songs to be played on the upcoming tour! The best ever! JOB WELL DONE!!!!
Plum Rose
Plum Rose

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League