Is Craig F. is no longer touring with PPL ?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Is Craig F. is no longer touring with PPL ?

Postby davelefeber » Thu May 12, 2011 11:02 am

There is a PPL Show booked in Norfolk CT in November but the venue does not list Craig F? Will he return ? Did I miss something ? Thanks/
davelefeber

Re: Is Craig F. is no longer touring with PPL ?

Postby Doug » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 pm

Good question seeing as he's not in the pic at the top of the page. Hopefully temporary. Stuff happens like when Mike had to temporarily sit out for awhile. Hey Mike, what's up with Craig? Also, I see there is a show in Columbus in August, but doesn't say where. Need info, please! Hey, Mike - if Craig is not going to be at the Cols show, perhaps you could invite some of the Cincinnati contingent up to join in on the fun! I had the pleasure of seeing John David Call jam with Larry and Tim Goshorn last year at a bluesfest near Cinci, and they rocked! How amazing would it be to get you, J.D., Larry, Tim and George Ed Powell back on stage together after how many years? Add Rick and Donnie and you got the makings of one heck of a show! C'mooooon, ya know ya wanna - and we do, too. Good luck with the summer concert schedule! I'll be there in Columbus even if it's just Mike on a stool with a flattop. Har de har har. Hey waitaminnit, didn't that happen once in San Diego back in like 1980, except it was Vince with a guitar because the rest of the band got delayed due to issues at the airport and couldn't make the gig on time? I heard about that one from someone who was there and he said Vince was amazing. Again, good luck and need that Cols info!
Doug

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 am

HI guys,

The last I heard was that Craig would not be touring the entire year and the plan from the start was that he would play all shows through May. Of course that is always subject to change but that is what appears to be going on right now. Not to say he will never pop in on another show, but right now Mike Reilly, John David Call, Rick Schell and Donnie Lee Clark will be carrying the torch.I assure you the torch will burn bright ! The guys have gotten together numerous times in Nashville over the months, working on new songs to bring to us. I think a couple of them were a George Ed Powell song from Just Fly, Slim Pickens, a great tune which these guys will do justice. Another was a Vince Gill song from Something In The Night, Still Right Here In My Heart a song which hit top 40 and was a very popular concert number. There are others, we'll wait and see what they come up with. Last year I heard a few I hadn't heard in decades, Kentucky Moonshine, I'll Be Damned, Harmony Song and Woman. The guys work hard at keeping the shows fresh, and this year is no different. The Call-Clark connection has been getting rave reviews since JD returned and has been mentioned numerous times in concert reviews. They have it down pat, it certainly raises the excitement level at their shows, much like the Fuller-Call, Goshorn -Call days. John Call was quite enthusiastic re: the sessions they held in Nashville, loves the way the "newbies" Rick and Donnie bring it, loves injecting new tunes in the set. Donnies singing in the sessions on new material was extraordinary I'm told. No surprise, he's a major talent on vocals as is Rick. Mike has had Rick and Donnie go through the PPL catalogue, listening to suggestions on what tunes the guys would like to play, great teamwork with this bunch.

Hoefully I can catch them a few times as I did last year, I'll see how that shakes out. Maybe George will pop in at the Ohio show Doug, he's done so many times in the past, including a few Kentucky shows. I'll see what I can find out along those lines.

Don't get caught in South Central while drinking your juice in the hood,
Tom Sheridan
Last edited by Tom on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:06 am

Well, if Craig wants to take some time off for personal reasons, that's cool with me. Of course I would like to see Craig with them, but it is also a good thing to hear that they are going to play great songs from the catalogue that we haven't heard in a long time live, if ever. I always like it when they play close to home and any of the originals (meaning guys in the band up thru the Vince era) get to pop in and play some with them. Like when they played Chillicothe and George Ed Powell was on stage with them for the entire show. That was awesome. Heck, I would love it if Vince ever got the chance to sit in with them. Can you imagine Craig and Vince together in a PPL show? Wow. I would guess the door is always open, and who knows what the future holds. Hey Mike, what about seeing if Vince could sit in with you guys for a show or two. All this has the makings of a great live DVD, dontcha think? Looking forward to the Columbus show with the new setlist. Thanks for the heads up. Tom. Keep on rockin', guys!
Doug

Postby prairiedog » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Prairiedogs;
Watch out what you wish for...
PrairieDog
prairiedog

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:21 am

Hey prairiedog,

No need to watch out on the wish thing, we know what we want ! Make it happen, Cap'n.

Tom
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby musicman » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:30 pm

[color=#BF0000][b][/b][/color]Any time we can get George Ed to play along would be outstanding! He and JD Call produced such magic together. It seemed that JD had more involvement with Powell songs than others. Came Through, Heart of Her Own, San Antonio just to name a few. Mike did tell me at one show that the band planned on a cd based on a farewell concert series someday that would include as many as the former members as possible. Not wishing the end is near, but hope when the time comes, that's something we could all look forward to and cherish![color=#BF0000][/color]
musicman

Return to Pure Prairie League