New Wolfgangsvault concert

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

New Wolfgangsvault concert

Postby steve204 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:18 pm

steve204

Postby JR » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 am

Great show, marginal recording. Worth a listen for sure. Hey Tom, I was at this show, were you? Make sure to pay attention to Conway's solo on Pickin' to Beat the Devil; man he was cooking!! Enjoy!!!!
JR

Postby LIDog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Thank you Steve and JR for pointing this out.

Wow!

Speaking as someone who was only 11 years old when they played this gig, it is absolute gold to me.
Talk about a band at the top of their game!

I don't even have the words to describe that Conway solo. I can't quite believe what I was hearing. The whole band is so smoking.
Billy Hinds is on fire. What chops!

Thanks again!

#
LIDog

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 am

It's good to be back here.

Also, nice to hear a PPL show :)
pool_of_tears76

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:00 pm

Hey gang,

This was a great night, PPL on fire and ruling the world of Country Rock !

Yes, the recording is far from perfect but it's got some great moments , it's a terrific timepiece and I agree, well worth checking out. Thanks for the mention Steve.

Once PPL got on top, they stayed there and it was concerts like this one that made it happen. They were doing 200-250 shows a year, headliners ,and at this point in time already had three of the most critically acclaimed LP's in country rock history. They were the saviors of Country Rock as they took it nationally while more and more venues were either folding ( as were some bands) or turning to the disgusting Disco creature.The NY Times said as much after the Bottom Line shows a few months before this one.

Rolling Stone had done a great article detailing their success as had many other magazines. The band was doing numerous TV shows and was heading into the studio about every 6 months, always throwing a few new tunes into their sets.

Unbelievable times, all was well with the world.

Hey Jeff, it's only taken me about 16 months to answer your question, yes, I was there and Jim Call had the "pleasure" of sitting next to me, the poor bastard. He certainly had a sense of humor.

Conway was the best, no question. What a lineup, loaded with talent, these were the guys who got PPL going and got Craig Fuller's incredible work from the first two LP's the exposure it so richly deserved. A remarkable turn of events, an incredible story how RCA had to come looking for the band and sign them up again !

Jeff, just 2 months before this show you were at another legendary NY venue, The Bottom Line for 3 straight nights, then you headed to your personal favorite, My Father's Place in Roslyn NY. That was the place where you had to do the sound in a cramped room, under the stage, relying on your knowledge of the tunes since you couldn't see them ! TUBORG GOLD ! My head hurts thinking about it.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League