Current PPL Line-up?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Current PPL Line-up?

Postby davelefeber » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:56 am

We have tickets for the POCO-PPL Rutland show next month. I was just wondering if FATS K. and Curtis are still in the Band? The photos from the PA show indicates the band's line-up has changed . Thanks
davelefeber

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:06 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry it took so long to respond. I wanted to confirm that Fats would be there and he will.

Yes, Fats is still in the band. He took time off to tour with Kevin Welch and Kieran Kane, guys who he's played with and recorded with for years. they have a new CD out, Kane, Welch, Kaplin and were promoting it. Check them out at this link:

http://www.deadreckoners.com/news.html

When Fats was not in the lineup this year, John David Call took over.

Curtis has not been in the line up all year. He was offered a full time job with Reba and obviously could not pass that up. He's played with her and recorded with her in prior years, but this year he was with her the entire tour. He's appeared on many TV specials with Reba and I'm happy to say he's doing quite well. Curtis made a post on here, the thread reads I Had Y'all On My Mind, it's under the name Blairsboy.

Last year Curtis also had to miss a few months as he toured with Reba. Last year, in his absence, Donnie Lee Clark took over, and played a few months with the band. Donnie accepted a full time gig this year and has really put on a show. Donnie also appeared on Rick Schell's hot solo debut, The Salt Of The Earth. You can catch Rick's CD here, it's outstanding:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/rickschell

There's also a thread called Welcome Donnie Clark on here. You can find more on Donnie at:

www.DonnieLeeClark.com

Jeff " Stick" Davis has been on bass all year. If you recall, last year the bass was handled by a few, including Jack Sundrud of Poco, who did double duty during PPL/ Poco gigs. Rick Plant handled the majority of tour dates. This year PPL was very forunate to land Jeff for the entire year. He's the co-founder of the Amazing Rhythm Aces, and has been a tremendous addition to the band. Check out more on Jeff at:

http://www.stickdavis.com/

So basically the band has been Craig Fuller, Rick Schell, Fats Kaplin, Donnie Lee Clark and Jeff Davis all year, with John Call ripping it up when Fats is away. We were all very fortunate to get Donnie and Jeff to commit to the entire year, it's really paid off as the band has been putting on some great shows.

Have a good one Dave,
Tom
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Sounded great in Rutland

Postby davelefeber » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:27 am

The new line-up was very tight in Rutland with Mike back. DL Clark was very good on licks and vocals. Man what a ride from Baltimore to Rutland ... WHEW ! PPL sounded good Sat. night, real good !
davelefeber

Where's George?

Postby Tornado » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:58 pm

I can't help think that George Ed Powell would be a great replacement in the line-up. He's not a lead guitarist, but his presence would make huge impact on the band in Curtis's absence. Does anyone know what he is up to?[/b]
Tornado

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi Tornado,

It's great to hear from you again, it's been awhile. I hope all is well with you.

Well, I can't say I forsee George coming back on a full time basis. However, I do expect he'll continue to pop in for a few shows now and then as he has the last few years. Anytime we can get George to pop in, it's a great time !

Donnie Lee Clark has already made a huge impact this past year. He's an immensely gifted musician who has garnered heaps of accolades and is a main reason the band has such an incredible tightness and had such a successful tour this year. He's also got a terrific voice. He appeared with PPL numerous times during the 2006 tour in adition to the entire '07 tour.

As for George, well Tornado, certainly anyone who has ever heard or seen him would love to see him again. After all, George's contirbutions to the PPL legacy are enormous ! I never heard a George Ed Powell tune I didn't like, not to mention the great ones he did which went unrecorded. George was one of the great singer/songwriters of the country rock genre.Back in PPL's early days George ,along with Craig of course, were considered visionaries for their style and songwriting abilities.Along with John Call, they spearheaded the whole thing.

George works a day job but continues to pursue his musical interests. We mentioned it here before but it's well worth mentioning again.He's been pursuing a record contract. He has not yet received one, but has opened a few doors with a few tunes he recorded on a 4 song CD that he completed awhile ago. He has heard from a few companies who are supportive of his efforts , so where it leads , we shall see. Craig did the arrangements on one of the songs which George told me he's most proud of.In addition, he's done another tune that has both John Call and Craig on it. John told me he'd like to get back and do some more things with George and Craig has echoed similar remarks. It takes time to get this all together as George is doing it all on his own, but he's made some real nice progress.More than likely John and Craig will participate to some extent in work George has planned.Hopefully we'll hear from George and get to see him too!

It was back around October or November 2004 when a few photos appeared somewhere on a link ( a photographer). It's gone now, but I think it's from when Geroge worked with John and Craig getting the 4 song CD together. Here's a few things from it:

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jpmagg3 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Man, I'd love to see/hear what comes of this....
jpmagg3

Postby billyJvoltare » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

I'm glad to hear that the new Powell material is still forthcoming. It was mentioned quite a while ago, and I was thinking that maybe it had fallen by the wayside.
Thanks for the update Tom; can't wait!
And it would be a dream for me to see a PPL date with George Ed. performing again with his old buddies Fuller and Reilly.
billyJvoltare

Postby Tornado » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:46 pm

I would certainly love to see that! Any tunes that may come from George would be welcome by me. Can't think of a single Powell song that i do not like. Since High School I have had two musical heroes, one George, the other Hughie Thomasson of the Outlaws who unfortunatly passed away this summer. Hope George comes up with something very soon. Also, just purchased the newly released Dance cd along with Just Fly. Both done nicely by Wounded Bird. They did an excellent job on the mix and the Dance cd is just a must have for any serious PPL fan.
Tornado

Dance/Just Fly

Postby oilman55 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:18 am

[Also, just purchased the newly released Dance cd along with Just Fly. Both done nicely by Wounded Bird. They did an excellent job on the mix and the Dance cd is just a must have for any serious PPL fan.]

Tornado,

Do you have link for "Wounded Bird"? I would very much love to acquire those CD's.

Thanks!
oilman55

link

Postby Tornado » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:54 pm

http:/woundedbird.com/ Here ya go. enjoy!
Tornado

Return to Pure Prairie League