Give Us A Rise - lyrics have images I don't grok

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Give Us A Rise - lyrics have images I don't grok

Postby MarkM333 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 am

A little history of why I am inquiring about a 30+ year old song: I have a hearing disability that makes it very difficult to understand lyrics. Primarily, if lyric sheets were not provided I misunderstood much (if not all) of any given song. Recently I found the lyrics to "Give Us A Rise" from Two Lane Highway. Since the summer of '75 I have put "Give Us A Rise" &/or "Harvest" on many homebrew mixes (8-track tapes until '82 or so!). Yeh, I know some artists are real touchy about homebrew mixes, but the point I want to get across is that I've listened to each of those songs literally like a thousand times or more in the past 32 years coz I was able to listen while driving.

The first two lines in both verses seem to be based in the traditions of the Judeo-Christian belief systems. (Are they really?) But the last three lines of either verse have images that don't fit readily into those same concepts (for me at any rate).

He doesn't want to know just what? (both verses)

What do 'wild hogs' need with land anyway? (2nd verse)

What is all that about being 'free to blow'? (both verses)
MarkM333

Postby LIDog » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:02 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure I understand you. Did you say that you do have the lyrics for "Give Us A Rise?" If so, please share them here.

Recently, I had made a truly hopeless attempt at figuring them out, when I posted chords for the "Two Lane Highway" album over in "Musician's Corner", but I was really stumped. It's ironic, really, because it's one of my favorite PPL songs. It has a great melody, and a very upbeat, inspiring feel to it.

I've often found George Powell's lyrics hard to pick up on. I just figured that it had a lot to do with my being from NY, and not being familiar with phrases and/or accents that might be common elsewhere. I'd certainly like to see the real lyrics, if you have them.

Sorry I couldn't help with the meaning, and this won't be much help either, but I do have an answer to one of your questions:

Wild hogs need land, because they don't live long under water!

All the best,
LI Dog
LIDog

'Give Us A Rise' lyrics

Postby MarkM333 » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:44 am

LIDog,

These two websites have many PPL lyrics: lyricsandsongs.com & oldielyrics.com

Mark
MarkM333

Postby JR » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:38 am

Here's a French site that seems to be a comprehensive collection of PPL lyrics. Hopefully, things don't get lost in translation.....hmmmmm good name for a movie....lol

http://www.parolesmania.com/paroles_pur ... 10586.html

Good luck!
JR

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:01 pm

Hi guys,

Well even The French are into PPL. I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that. I paid a French website a small fortune for the Lee Riders LP with Mike Reilly and Mike Connor on it in their pre-PPL days.

I think we have some Pure Prairie League Plagiarism going on.

I think a few site have taken the lyrics directly from here, specifically from the music section where the Honorable LIDOG posted them , a heroic effort indeed.

I spoke with Dog several times re: George Powell lyrics and amazingly he had trouble deciphering the very same ones I always had trouble with.

Now, the sites mentioned above and others all have the following phrase for Came Through: " like a ship with a gold screw". I never discussed this one with Dog, but in this particular case I know the words are " like a ship with a ghost crew" DOG had his stuff up before several sites I checked so it's pretty odd they all have the exact same phrase! They let Dog do the dirty work, then copy it. I smell lawsuit. And I'll start with Frenchie.

As for Give Us a Rise, wild hog cries, thirsty fields, Judeo-Christain beliefs, the word grok, well to me it's like an early Woody Allen movie: no one really knows what it's about or completely gets it, so let's just call it brilliant.

It's All On Me,
Tom
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:47 am

A ghost crew! Now that makes sense!

The hardest thing about "taking the bullet," so to speak, and being willing to guess at these things, is that there's a very high risk of embarrassment. It's like walking around in your underwear. Still, it's funny that everybody followed me off the cliff! Half way around the world, they're suffering from my incompetence!

Best wishes to all this holiday season, and as always, be sure to collect all your favorite LI Dog "Tribute to PPL" records, now not available at any fine store near you:

LI Dog
Hare of the LI Dog
Fuller Myself
George Ed On My Mind
Reilly-in' Up The Crowd
Goshorn't I Lousy
John Call the Cops
Prose and Connor
Hinds Sight
Not McGillty
Bolen For Dollars
Wilsonone End This Thing???
Fats Chance
The Wrong Wright
Schell Schocked
Lanhamated
More Coffe
Burrfect
In Vince Bull
Redefer Anything

Still awaiting non release:

Not Made In Zimbabwe
Donnie Clark Has My Dream Gig
Goshorn Leghorn: The Lesser Known Brother
Different Stokes For Different Folks
"Stick" This In Your Pipe!
Sheridan't Forget Anyone?

(I know I'm still missing people, but I'm sure you've had enough already!)
Last edited by LIDog on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LIDog

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 am

Hey Dog,

Boy, when you come out from your musical lab, you come out unleashed !

Great post, looking forward to the Christmas LP.

Have a great Thanksgiving,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby ojnab » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Tom wrote:Hi guys,

Well even The French are into PPL. I'm not so sure I'm comfortable with that. I paid a French website a small fortune for the Lee Riders LP with Mike Reilly and Mike Connor on it in their pre-PPL days.

I think we have some Pure Prairie League Plagiarism going on.

I think a few site have taken the lyrics directly from here, specifically from the music section where the Honorable LIDOG posted them , a heroic effort indeed.

I spoke with Dog several times re: George Powell lyrics and amazingly he had trouble deciphering the very same ones I always had trouble with.

Now, the sites mentioned above and others all have the following phrase for Came Through: " like a ship with a gold screw". I never discussed this one with Dog, but in this particular case I know the words are " like a ship with a ghost crew" DOG had his stuff up before several sites I checked so it's pretty odd they all have the exact same phrase! They let Dog do the dirty work, then copy it. I smell lawsuit. And I'll start with Frenchie.

As for Give Us a Rise, wild hog cries, thirsty fields, Judeo-Christain beliefs, the word grok, well to me it's like an early Woody Allen movie: no one really knows what it's about or completely gets it, so let's just call it brilliant.

It's All On Me,
Tom
ojnab

Give us a rise lyrics

Postby ojnab » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:04 pm

Howdy,
I spent a lot of time with George and his wife Brad (Susan) durring the late 70's while I was in college. I have quite a few of George's lyrics written out, some by his hand. Some I got from Brad. I'll try and go through the lyrics that have been posted a make some changes.
I apologize I just joined the site and still trying figure out how to submit and post, etc.
regards,
Bill
ojnab

Postby LIDog » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Bill,

Welcome aboard! That's really exciting news. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever lyrics you may have for us. Although you won't be able to edit my song charts, if you post corrected lyrics, I'll go back and fix things.

Any news on George is good news to us. I'd love to see him perform, and to hear his new songs that have been mentioned recently on the site.

All the Best,
"Dog"
LIDog

Return to Pure Prairie League