1974 PPL Concert

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

1974 PPL Concert

Postby MartinD28 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:50 am

Every Sunday night KCUV.com (great radio station from Colorado) features Ebbets Field concerts from the '70's & 80's. Tonight's show is PPL from 07/03/1974. Colorado time is 8:00 P.M. for the show. Looking forward to hearing this from the early days.
MartinD28

Postby jpmagg3 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:53 pm

nuts! saw your notice too late and missed this by 45 min...would have loved to have heard it. Do you recall part or all of the setlist? Thanks!
JP
jpmagg3

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:39 am

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the heads up. It's great to see some stations do something like this, it's few and far between.

John, I'll post the setlist.

This is the show that just won't go away !

It's this show that ended up being sold as the CD "Songs Of Pure Harmony". That's the one where the band did not receive royalties and filed a cease and desist order on it. This happened to a few other bands also. Apparently old tapes of shows broadcast from Ebbets Fields were turned out as CD's w/out going through the proper legal channels. There was an article about all this in the Denver Post in 1999, I think.

I'll be back with a few more side notes but for now here's the list: Amie, I've Just Seen A Face, Brand New Tennessee Waltz, In and Out Of Town,
Harmony Song, Country Song, Early Morning Riser/Jazzman, Fool For You, Flat Tire Merle, It's Not Love, But It's Not Bad, Tears, Sugar Baby, It's All On Me, Wild About My Lovin', Leave My Heart Alone, Lose My Blues, You're Between Me.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jpmagg3 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:08 pm

Tom,
As always, thanks!
jpmagg3

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:44 am

A few other notes on the show:

The guy who ran the concert had some very nice comments prior to the radio broadcast. Calling PPL a great band , he fondly recalled PPL was the first band to ever present him with a gold record. He had a few minor details a bit wrong(where Craig was at this point, and when Tim Goshorn was in the band) but all in all a very nice touch from a guy who really was into PPL for many, many years.

The guys did a real nice bluegrass version of the Beatles' I've Just Seen A Face. John Call played the banjo on Amie, sounded great , much fun hearing it done this way.

It's been mentioned on here before, as you can see from the set list, It's Not Love But It's Not Bad, a Merle Haggard tune that the band will still do today sometimes as a segue with Flat Tire Merle, goes way back in PPL history ! I believe PPL did this while Craig was still touring with them , opening for Badfinger in '72-'73.

George Powell and Larry Goshorn had a real nice tune, In and Out of Town, which never made a studio LP. It certainly defined PPL's lifestyle at that time, as the band was playing upwards of 250 shows a year.

Powell had a lost treasure on this, a song I really enjoyed, Fool For You. It was pure George Ed, very crafty lyrics, and the band really did a great job with it from a musical standpoint, with what I thought was an inventive approach. Another that never saw a studio LP.

Mike managed to get off a great one liner. Mike was talking about Merle Haggard. Apparently Merle has quite a train collection. Merle's wife came up in the subject and Mike asked " Did you see his wife's caboose?" giving the crowd a nice laugh.

It's obvious that by this time Mike had asserted himself on stage in terms of personality,speaking with the crowd etc. Way back when, I asked John Call who was handling front man duties, who was the guy getting the crowd going, doing band intro's. "Reilly, he's become much more extroverted. It's a good thing too, because you weren't getting a word out of the rest of us."

Sugar Baby(George on lead vocals) and She Made Me Lose My Blues(Mike on lead vocals) are two more tunes tha band always loved doing.Very up tempo, great concert songs. I think Mike and Larry used to play She Made Me Lose My Blues in a band during their Woodstock days, prior to PPL. I also believe PPL played these during the earliest years when Craig was still with them.

The Lizard, Larry Goshorn, sang lead on Wild About My Lovin'. Over 30 years later he sang lead on it again, on The Shades Of Blue CD he produced. It's a CD filled with great tunes by musician's in the Cincy area, basically Larry's brainstorm , and it garnered huge critical acclaim. In fact, a second Shades Of Blue CD was also released. Both are availabvle on The Goshorn Bros website was well as their two terrific CD's.

This is another time period that's quite significant, historically speaking.This show I think was part of a 5 night run PPL had at Ebbet's Field and they certainly picked up momentum from it as PPL's recognition continued to rise.The " Obscure Country Band" was sending out notice that they were a musical force to be reckoned with. Still unsigned and working their butts off, it would be only 5 months that RCA would locate then, resign them and have them in a studio to begin recording what would be the Two Lane Highway LP.

Speaking of songs that come alive in concert, for me, George's It's All On Me did just that. I really loved it live, Powell's vocals were great and the band used a different intro to the song than the debut LP did. John David Call on steel-wow !

Call's steel throughout this show was magnificent. In some ways I felt his steel served as a musical backbone while the band played Craig's songs as well as worked out some new tunes. It does not get any better.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

another old song

Postby Rip Lee » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:21 am

Another closer PPL would use at New Dilly's in Cincinnati in their first years was Break My Mind by John D. Loudermilk. It would always bring the crowd to their feet! The only version even close to their was recorded by Linda Ronstadt in the earlier 70's but PPL's was much better. :lol:
Rip Lee

Return to Pure Prairie League