Looking for a song...

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Looking for a song...

Postby shot8un » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:26 am

Hi all, hope you can help.

Years ago I heard a great song by PPL but I can't remember the name of it.

It should be trackable though as it featured Vince Gill on vocals, it was a fast country rock turnaround and featured a gospel choir.

Anyone know what the song is called

Thanks in advance

Shot8
shot8un

Postby Tom » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi shot8un,

Glad you stopped in.

I'm having a tough time with this one, mainly due to the gospel choir description. Do you have anything else you recall about it?

Gill sang a few upbeat country rockers-Misery Train, Goin' Away, I'll Be Damned, Lifetime of Nighttime , I Wanna Know Your Name(this had some fairly heavy harmonies in the chorus) among them, and several slower ones. But off hand I can't recall a gospel choir background. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:16 pm

My vote is for "I'll Be Damned". Although it doesn't really feature a gospel choir, the backing vocals are very... gospel-ly? That song is available on both "Firin' Up" and the "Best of Pure Prairie League" collection.

P.S. You can find the chords and lyrics to it in Musician's Corner" under "Firin' Up" through the courtesy of site administrator (and PPL photo forensics expert) Tom! Thank you Tom!

Dog
LIDog

Postby Tom » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:13 am

Hi Dog,

Yes, I think that tune is probably the best bet.The background vocals do have that feel to them.

As for gospel-ly type vocals , another concert tune along those lines was done around '79 .PPL was doing a version of "Drifting Too Far From The Shore" a slow , soulful tune sung incredibly well by Gill. A beautiful song, done extremely well by PPL.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby billyJvoltare » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:33 am

Tom wrote:Hi Dog,

Yes, I think that tune is probably the best bet.The background vocals do have that feel to them.

As for gospel-ly type vocals , another concert tune along those lines was done around '79 .PPL was doing a version of "Drifting Too Far From The Shore" a slow , soulful tune sung incredibly well by Gill. A beautiful song, done extremely well by PPL.

All the best,
Tom

I remember that song well, when i saw the Gill-fronted PPL in that Firin' Up era. I hadn't heard it before but the beautifully sung refrain has stayed in my head to this day.
billyJvoltare

Postby Tom » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:42 am

Hi Jim,

Isn't it something when that happens, the way a song stays with you for 25-30 years even when you haven't heard it again ?

The best example I personally have of that goes back to '77. I saw George do a song that from the moment I heard it, I loved it ! It started out with some great paino from Conway. George sang it so well, for me it was vintage George Ed. He came out that night with a rain hat on, an all weather type thing. Quite often George would have some cool looking hat, but those cowboy ones were really the best.

It never made it to a record and boy was I disappointed. I never forgot it. Last year, thanks to a prairiedog, I got my hands on a live show. You guessed it, it was on it ! The songs weren't listed, and I was playing it while driving around. All of a sudden as I pulled into a parking lot I heard Conway's piano and couldn't belive it. As George's vocals came on in, I was sooooo ecstactic, after almost 30 years the lost song was found. I can't say how many times I played it in a row, but let's just say it was a very long trip to the supermarket.

The song was Fast Company, a Powell /PPL classic.

Making the rounds
the same old friends
always kidding me
over where I've been
I've been lonely
Can't help myself
The trouble with sleeping alone
is I can't tell right from left

Find some fast company
she just walked in
she's walking kinda slow
she's the one with the silly grin
find some fast company
I did it again
Can't let well enough be
so I find fast company

Different towns
heartaches mend
the miles go rolling by
can't remember where I've been
I've been looking
for a true love
the trouble with traveling around
is I have to stop again

and find fast company
she just walked in
she's walking kinda slow
she's the one with the silly grin
find some fast company
I did it again
Can't let well enough be
so I find fast company

Different towns
heartaches mend
the miles still rolling by
can't remember where I've been
I've been looking
for a true love
the trouble with traveling around
is I always stop again

Chorus

You never know what's going to stick with you, much less turn up a few decades later.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League