PPL & Pablo Cruise

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL & Pablo Cruise

Postby fredg61 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:19 am

Can someone tell me if PPl & Pablo Cruise were on the same bill together in the summer of '78 at Belmont Racetrack in Elmont NY. I was there and could swear Pablo Cruise opened for them.
fredg61

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:12 pm

Whoa, fredg and the opening acts !

Another tough one and another I'm uncertain from me.

Pablo cruise was opening for PPL in '79, that I know and it was confirmed by Pat Bolin, another PPL guy who could play everything including some great steel. But that was at the Calderone in Hempstead. Also in '79 at Belmont park in August was a huge concert that PPL and many others played at, the Party In The Park as it was called. As for 78, well that's another I'll have to look into. Thanks for posting !

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Belmont Park

Postby Philly Dog » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:31 am

I was in Belmont Park the day you mention. I can't recall if Pablo Cruise was on the bill or not. I know for certain the Good Rats were. The band was forced to stop several times because the music was scaring the horses. The second time the music stopped, I was standing next to the piano talking to Conway when a beer bottle came crashing down on the lid. We left the stage... I'm sure we all climbed aboard the bus and headed to Sag Harbor after the show.
Philly Dog

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:44 am

Hi Philly,

Welcome , great to have you here.

That was a great show, others there were Charlie Daniels, Southside Johnny, David Bromberg.Those were the days alright ! Naturally Reilly had all his cues on target, In KC Southern he's yelling " let's get on that train " as the LIRR was right nearby, he misses nothing. great times.
He also liked to use "495" (the Long Island Expressway) in Flat Tire Merle.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Re: Belmont Park

Postby fredg61 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Philly Dog wrote:I was in Belmont Park the day you mention. I can't recall if Pablo Cruise was on the bill or not. I know for certain the Good Rats were. The band was forced to stop several times because the music was scaring the horses. The second time the music stopped, I was standing next to the piano talking to Conway when a beer bottle came crashing down on the lid. We left the stage... I'm sure we all climbed aboard the bus and headed to Sag Harbor after the show.

Hey, thanks Philly Dog. Didn't it rain that day as well? My memory may be a little foggy, but I do remember we were standing in the middle, front of the stage about 100 ft back and the crowd opened up and two guys were helping/carrying a gut who's face looked like it got smashed with a beer bottle. Very scary. And you mention a beer bottle being thrown as well. It was a crazy day. I was hoping that Pablo Cruises set would surface on day. Anyway, thanks again.
fredg61

Return to Pure Prairie League