This Date In PPL History

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

This Date In PPL History

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Every now and then I'll throw in something on any given date, re: some PPL tidbit of information. Feel free to add to it.

April 30, 1978

PPL plays The Calderone Concert Hall, a venue on Long Island NY. In a place where every major country and southern rock bands played, PPL set the attendance record. Of couse they sold aisle "seats" and stuck people anywhere they could, and prayed no fire marshalls were PPL fans.

The line up: Mike Reilly, George Powell, Larry and Tim Goshorn, Mike Connor, Billy Hinds

The set list that night:

Kansas City Southern
Place In The Middle
Lucille Crawfield
Flat Tire Merle
Sun Shone Lightly
Love Will Grow
Working In A Coal Mine
Louise
Heart Of her Own
You Don't Have To Be Alone
Slim Pickin's
Amie
My Young Girl
Just Fly
Bad Dream
Two Lane Highway
Love Is Falling
Dance

Encore
Choo Choo Charlie

The show was broadcast live over a local station. The guitars were scorching, especially on Bad Dream, Place In The Middle and an unreleased tune by Tim , Choo Choo Charlie, where Tim had the slide burning. Larry came out with a huge "ten gallon " cowboy hat for the encore.

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:23 pm

Ooooh, I'd love to hear that show :) Great setlist. Thanks for that post Tom.
pool_of_tears76

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:34 pm

On June 3, 2000 , Mr. Curtis Wright, the pride of Huntingdon PA, peformed for the first time as a member of Pure Prairie League.

PPL appeared at The Charlie Daniels Volunteer Jam Festival in Nashville's Starwood Amphitheatre.

In addition to Curtis, the lineup that day was Mike Reilly, Craig Fuller, Rick Schell, Mike Connor, Fats Kaplin and Gary Burr.

The setlist:

Country Song
Hometown Boy Makes Good
Two Lane Highway
I'll Be Damned
Flat Tire Merle
Let Me Love You Tonight
She's Rocking The Rock
Amie
Cajun Girl
I'm Almost Ready

Curtis, a long time fan of PPL stated "I've been on many big shows of that sort but I felt like I was dreaming."

6 years later, we're very happy to have Curtis firmly entrenched in the PPL legacy, a major factor in the resurgence of the band. As anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing or hearing him perform, we know it's where he always belonged.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Re: This Date In PPL History

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:54 pm

Tom wrote:Every now and then I'll throw in something on any given date, re: some PPL tidbit of information. Feel free to add to it.

April 30, 1978

PPL plays The Calderone Concert Hall, a venue on Long Island NY. In a place where every major country and southern rock bands played, PPL set the attendance record. Of couse they sold aisle "seats" and stuck people anywhere they could, and prayed no fire marshalls were PPL fans.

The line up: Mike Reilly, George Powell, Larry and Tim Goshorn, Mike Connor, Billy Hinds

The set list that night:

Kansas City Southern
Place In The Middle
Lucille Crawfield
Flat Tire Merle
Sun Shone Lightly
Love Will Grow
Working In A Coal Mine
Louise
Heart Of her Own
Slim Pickin's
Amie
My Young Girl
Just Fly
Bad Dream
Two Lane Highway
Love Is Falling
Dance

Encore
Choo Choo Charlie

The show was broadcast live over a local station. The guitars were scorching, especially on Bad Dream, Place In The Middle and an unreleased tune by Tim , Choo Choo Charlie, where Tim had the slide burning. Larry came out with a huge "ten gallon " cowboy hat for the encore.

Take care,
Tom

This is indeed a great show...I wish I had been there!
pool_of_tears76

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:32 pm

On June 12, 1980, Pure Prairie League played at a venue called My Father's Place in Roslyn NY. They played there several times a year and were always received with tremendous enthusiasm. They were doing their tour following up on the release of Firin' Up. Let Me Love You Tonight was in the process of climbing up the charts and filled the AM/FM stations nationwide. The setlist:

KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN
SHE'S ALL MINE
FLAT TIRE MERLE
GIVE IT UP
LET ME LOVE YOU TONIGHT
AIN'T LIVING LONG LIKE THIS
I'LL BE DAMNED
TWO LANE HIGHWAY
JANNY LOU
AMIE
PICKIN' TO BEAT THE DEVIL
I'M ALMOST READY
FREEBORN MAN

The line up: Mike Reilly, Vince Gill, Mike Connor, Billy Hinds, Jeff Wilson.

Gill had already made an impression on fans the year before while touring. But it was this tour that left country rock fans in awe, dispelling the notion of those who had not seen them that PPL wasn't into country rock anymore. The band put on a mesmerizing show, a well oiled machine as each member was going at 100. Gill caught everyones attention this year, his vocals and all around musicianship thrust him and PPL into the spolight nationwide as the band continued to peform over 200 sold out shows and appeared on numerous TV shows. At a time when country rock was being given the boot by many stations and venues, PPL continued to thrive, maintaining it's national prominence.

At this show Gill did some amazing work on banjo and fiddle on the PPL classics.His guitar work was the stuff legends are made of, people who saw them this year still recall the tour so vivdly. The covers of the two songs, Ain't Living Long Like This and Freeborn Man left the fan's jaws dropping. On ALLLT, (whew) Gill sang the guitar notes as he whaled along on lead. Freeborn Man was an amazing ripping tune, again the band incredibly hot. Gill was never bashful in PPL, but by this time "The Kid' had grown into his role and clearly enjoyed the freedom Mike gave him, yapping with the crowd, prancing around, as PPL and fans had a real good time. The hiring of Gill ,(who appeared as an opening act in '76 with bluegrass band Mountain Smoke, when Mike first made him an offer) was just another notch in Mike's belt, another reason why PPL is still here today. I still am the proud owner of the drumsticks Billy Hinds gave me that night. He wouldn't part with the high hat or snare, but the sticks will do.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:36 pm

On July 1, 2001 PPL participated in what today is being billed as The Country Rock Legends concert. Along with Poco and Firefall they played an outdoor concert in Keech Park, Naperville IL.

PPL at this point in time was still testing the waters, much like the year before, playing only a few shows a year, still deciding on exactly when, or if, they would have time to record or get back into things on a larger scale. However, they had already recognized that the lineup they had was a strong, cohesive one, and ultimately it would be the unit that recorded All In Good Time. Mike Connor was still with us that night, peforming his magic.

The show featured a few new tunes by Craig and Curtis, which we have come to love on the new CD. Perhaps around this time period, these guys knew they had something special and it would be a matter of time before all band members could work things out in their schedules and personal lives and get to the point where they could bring us what we had been waiting on for what seemed like an eternity, a new PPL CD.

The set list:

Kansas City Southern
Tears
If You Say What I'm Thinking
Early Morning Riser
It's Not Love/Flat Tire Merle
Let Me Love You Tonight
Gettin' Over You
I'll Be Damned
Boulder Skies
Cajun Girl
Too Many Heartaches In Paradise
Two Lane Highway
Fallling In and Out Of Love
Amie
Pickin' To Beat The Devil
I'm Almost Ready

I particulary liked the fact that Too Many Heartaches in Paradise was in there, as Curtis and the band did a remakable job with it, it's a beautiful Gill tune that 's been overlooked. Mike had a little joke in there re: the tune. He stated " The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band recorded this tune a few years back. They had a major flop with it. " It was apparent these guys could do anything in terms of old PPL classics and bring us new music that would take us on our latest journey with PPL. Fats, Curtis and Rick could do it all, and then some. Fortunately for us, these guys all stayed with the PPL project.

Hve a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Re: This Date In PPL History

Postby fredg61 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:16 am

Tom wrote:Every now and then I'll throw in something on any given date, re: some PPL tidbit of information. Feel free to add to it.

April 30, 1978

The set list that night:

Kansas City Southern
Place In The Middle
Lucille Crawfield
Flat Tire Merle
Sun Shone Lightly
Love Will Grow
Working In A Coal Mine
Louise
Heart Of her Own
Slim Pickin's
Amie
My Young Girl
Just Fly
Bad Dream
Two Lane Highway
Love Is Falling
Dance

Encore
Choo Choo Charlie

Take care,
Tom

Tom, Did Jonathan Edwards open up for PPL on this night. I have this show on CD, and am curious to know if this is the show with Jonathan Edwards.
fredg61

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 pm

hey fredg61,

Great to have you here.

I can't say. You see, sometimes during the opening act my friends and I were very busy getting prepared for the PPL show.

I recall many opening acts, Edwards was one, although on this night I'm not sure. This was the only show broadcast from the Calderone, a venue they played at many times, if that helps at all. And it probably doesn't ! If I can find out for sure, Ill be back.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:09 pm

The band is in the middle of their first full blown tour in decades when they hit Hamden Ct on July 15th, 2005. It's an outdoor venue and they remark how by the evening the weatherman has given them a break as the "miserable" humidity from earlier in the day is gone. By this point the band is extremely tight and still in the middle of their new project, the All In Good Time CD. They play a few tunes which would ultimately appear on the CD as well the standard classics. They continue to shuffle a few tunes around from show to show and pop in a surprise now and then. In this case it's 6 Feet Of Snow , an old Little Feat tune sung by Craig. It sounds as if the song could have been written for them. They would continue to pop this one out now and then. Misery Train, a real nice country rocker and Vince Gill tune from Can't Hold Back is also pulled out of the hat and Curtis does a great job with it. The band continues to put together sets which touch on the various years while adding in some new songs.

The lineup:

Mike Reilly, Craig Fuller, Curtis Wright, Rick Schell, Fats Kaplin.

The setlist:

KC Southern
Tears
Early Morning Riser
Lucille Crawfield
Jazman
Flat Tire Merle
Let Me Love You Tonight
Gettin' Over You
If You Say What I'm Thinking
6 Feet Of Snow
M isery Train
Don't Go Confessing Your Love
Boulder Skies
Two Lane Highway
Falling In and Out Of Love
Amie
I'm Almost Ready
Pickin' To Beat The Devil

The guys have a few laughs with the crowd as Mike and Craig unveil their act, Craig now developing the straightman routine for Mike.
Craig" " Mike's been releasing his innermost feelings on this tour"
Mike" After that early bird special down at the Hamden Town Diner I may very well release my innermost self."
In addition a few skateboarders cruise past the stage and Reilly remarks " I suppose that's what passes for a motorcycle gang here in Hamden."

After the show, they head to Long Island NY. The ferry is cancelled, so they hit the road in the tour bus, but make the show on time. From NY, it's a 17 hour ride to Cincy as the band and tour is in ful swing.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:04 am

The summer of 1980 saw some record setting temperatures all over the country. It also saw PPL heating things up as their single Let Me Love You Tonight rose up the charts.The song, sung by Gill and written by Jeff Wilson and his partners Greer and Woodard, crashed into the top ten on the charts in mid July as Pure Prairie League filled the airwaves all summer long. The tune also hit the coveted #1 slot on the adult contemporary charts. A glance at the charts saw PPL right there alongside the names of McCartney, Elton John and others. Firin' Up, the LP that the it came from, was doing outstanding as PPL continued to make their presence felt on the national music scene. The band was on several major TV shows, including Solid Gold and American Bandstand ! Yes even Dick Clark had to come out of the closet and admit he was a prairiedog.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:03 am

On August 21, 1979 Pure Prairie League played at Belmont Park in Elmont NY.Known as a famous racetrack, the venue also was used for concerts during the summer. PPL was part of a huge celebration concert in honor of radio station WLIR FM, a tremendous supporter of the band. The station broadcast live PPL shows from various venues and at times would rebroadcast them during special holiday marathons. Mike Reilly was well known at the station having frequented it when the band was in town. Vince Gill also popped into the studio with Mike, as WLIR would have special guests to help promote both the band and the upcoming shows they would be sponsoring. This event was a special one, the 20th anniversary of the station. It drew over 20 thousand people. Other bands appearing that day were Aztec Two Step, Earl Scruggs Band and Charlie Daniels Band (w/ Southside Johnny & David Bromberg)

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:09 pm

What an interesting time period. They were still doing things from "Just Fly", the "Can't Hold Back" record must have been brand new, and "I'll Be Damned" was already in the set list, but "Firin' Up" hadn't come out yet.

I wonder who sang "Place In The Middle" and "Love Is Falling"?
LIDog

Postby Hockeyedmart » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:07 am

I just broke out my PPL "live takin the Stage" disc again and played in several times thorough again tonight and I gotta ask is their ever been a better live Disc ( I think not) Long Live the PPL and the prairiedogs who love their work!
Hockeyedmart

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:36 am

Hi guys,

Dog,

Vince Gill sang the lead on Place In The Middle. Mike handled Love Is Falling, which he usually did as a segue with TLH. That was always a hot part of any show, they rocked on those two. Mike certainly by this time was used to taking over vocals after a band member left. Back in the early 70's he sang many of Craig's tunes, and after the Goshorn's and George left he did more of the same. I saw one show immediately after they had left and Mike was singing just about everything ! He sang lead on Amie, Two Lane, Love Is Falling, KCSouthern, Merle, Heart Of Her Own, Bad Dream and a few others. Before the show I had to wonder how he would pull this whole thing off, but as the band was being introduced, he was right behind the announcer, waving his hands wildly, bouncing around and had the crowd all worked up before the first note was played. By the time the opener, KC Southern was over, the crowd was roaring , I sat there thinking " man, this guy is really pulling something amazing off ." Another funny note was a guy named Chris Petersen, a country rocker from California, played w/PPL that night. He sang the encore Dance. I was in the first row and fans started to mob the foot of the stage. Here's Petersen, leaning over , shaking hands with all these girls who are going nuts. He had on this white shirt that now reminds me of the frilly white one in a Seinfeld epidsode. I looked around and thought " hey girls, I'm over here, cowboy shirt, Boots, bandana, maybe a few too many but c'mon ! " Reilly probably worked as hard as he ever did that night, both from a musical and PR standpoint. I always looked at that particular time as yet one more in PPL history where it could have all went south, but Reilly, Hinds and Connor refused to let that happen. The Kentucky trio were one determined and talented bunch and by then no one was going to tell them it was over. And as we know, it surely wasn't.

Hey Hockeyedmart, great name by the way. Yes, that LP truly was special right ? What an incredible time period. I still recall the day I bought that LP, a record store several towns away. I picked it up early on a Saturday with a friend then headed directly to another guy's house where a few more prairiedogs met. In between was a trip to the local distributor for refreshments. We played that thing over and over.The excitement it generated, the whole packaging of it, the pics, getting all worked up seeing some of the songs I had heard a few times in concert like Came Through, Dark Color, Louise, etc being included. It was hailed back then and still today as "the quintessential live LP. " It never gets old and the memories it brings are priceless.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:18 am

Thanks for the info, Tom. That's really cool to know. It must have been a lot of fun for Mike to have a go at all the songs that he's done over the years.

Although I do hope that we haven't made Curtis nervous with this discussion. He may turn to Mike at a future gig and say, "Quit salivating Reilly! You can't have "If You Could Say What I'm Thinking" yet!!! ; )

Dog
LIDog

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League