Mike Riley ill

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Mike Riley ill

Postby billyJvoltare » Tue May 02, 2006 4:36 pm

Just heard from Jack Sundrud of Poco that Mike's taken ill and missed a show...hope it's not serious.
Any further word on this, Tom?

Hey PrairieDog, take care of yourself, drink plenty of fluids, and check back with us.
We're not spring chickens anymore, I guess. Get well, Mike!
billyJvoltare

Postby Tom » Tue May 02, 2006 5:54 pm

Hi Jim and prairiedogs:

I'm very happy to say Mike's doing fine. Andy Anderson expressed his concerns re:Mike a few days ago under the All In Good Time Favorite songs thread.

Mike was simply run down. He's been wearing several hats since PPL kicked in again and has been on the go probably far too much. He has overseen everything re: the new CD, including packaging, distribution and every other business detail you can mention. He's also been working on new PPL projects and in general, just does not stop, coast to coast trips, long days and nights etc. It caught up with him and he had to take a breather, much to his dismay. He missed the SC and FL shows this past weekend. Of course his initial reaction was to try and make it but common sense as well as his good friends in PPL and family prevailed. As you can imagine, no one was more upset about missing a gig than Mike. Since he hasn't called in sick in over 35 years, I guess we can waive the required excuse note. Mike said he's looking into a new bullet proof vest, the old one must have worn out.

I received a few notes from people who said the shows were great but not the same without the big guy ! He was sorely missed, no doubt.

I know the botton line is we're all happy and very thankful Mike's OK, That's what counts. We look forward to seeing him soon.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Bulletproof no more

Postby prairiedog » Tue May 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Dear Prairiedogs;
Just to let you know that rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! After returning from a two-week working vacation (I remodeled my condo in Hawaii), I left immediately for Nashville to rehearse for the upcoming shows. Unfortunately, I was extremely spent, and subsequently near collapse. As soon as I reached Nashville I checked into Vanderbilt Hospital. I remained there for 5 days under doctor's orders. Tom's right; I was extremely disappointed that I missed my first PPL gig, but the options wouldn't have been pretty. I'm very grateful to my bandmates for carrying on without me, and to the fans in South Carolina and Florida for their understanding and support. Our friend Rick Plant did an outstanding job (with no rehearsal!!) filling in on bass for me.
That said, thanks to all who sent their good wishes and prayers. I'm back home, doing fine, and I promise I'll try not to miss another gig for 35 more years.
See you all soon!!
Mike Reilly
prairiedog

Re: Bulletproof no more

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed May 03, 2006 8:30 pm

prairiedog wrote:Dear Prairiedogs;
Just to let you know that rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! After returning from a two-week working vacation (I remodeled my condo in Hawaii), I left immediately for Nashville to rehearse for the upcoming shows. Unfortunately, I was extremely spent, and subsequently near collapse. As soon as I reached Nashville I checked into Vanderbilt Hospital. I remained there for 5 days under doctor's orders. Tom's right; I was extremely disappointed that I missed my first PPL gig, but the options wouldn't have been pretty. I'm very grateful to my bandmates for carrying on without me, and to the fans in South Carolina and Florida for their understanding and support. Our friend Rick Plant did an outstanding job (with no rehearsal!!) filling in on bass for me.
That said, thanks to all who sent their good wishes and prayers. I'm back home, doing fine, and I promise I'll try not to miss another gig for 35 more years.
See you all soon!!
Mike Reilly

Thanks for the update, Mike!

I think back to the Poco tours in '03 thru '05, where they would criss cross the country, both coasts, and even the Atlantic Ocean in record time, and can't help but feel it may have contributed to the health problems of George Grantham and then Paul Cotton last year.

Your tours sure look more sensibly planned, but please continue to take care of yourself!
billyJvoltare

Postby Jiff » Sun May 07, 2006 2:44 pm

Glad to hear you're better Mike. Guess I'll cut ya some slack for not scheduling Kennewick, WA with Poco, sandwiched the day between two Calif shows with them in Aug. :cry:

Hope you were just kidding last year when you said you're giving PPL two years then retiring to Hawaii. Loved your show last summer. Keep up the good work.

Jiff in WA
Jiff

Postby Tom » Mon May 08, 2006 9:13 pm

Billy, that's a real good point re: doing too much. It's was so sad to hear about the health problems re: George and Paul. I'm glad they are doing better .

As fans we get all fired up, always looking for more, it's natural. The band too, gets worked up, but the key word you mentioned was sensible. As it is now, it's a tremendous sacrifice the band members make, and those back at home, the wives and children, also feel it. They have to make some tough adjustments, particulary the wives. Those prairie girls deserve a ton of credit.

I'm sure everyone noticed in the credits the first thing mentioned is thanks to the wives and kids. These guys no doubt enjoy themselves but when they hit the road to tour, rehearse, or work on new projects, no matter how much enjoyment they get, no matter how wrapped up in their projects, it's always tempered by the fact that they still worry they are spending too much time away, always concerned about their families. At best, it's still a difficult situation for those involved. At a show last summer, Craig was beaming when he talked about his kids, how old etc, while Mike actually brought his son with him for part of the tour( he worked that cowbell and tambourine ! )

Let's hope for good health for all involved as without it, nothing is worth it.
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League