John Call w/ Six Shooter 1978

Post all Pure Prairie League concert photos, old ads, ticket stubs, promo shots etc here.

John Call w/ Six Shooter 1978

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Here are some priceless shots of John David Call, courtesy of fanzine.

They are from what several on here have mentioned, a show at Marietta College on March 20, 1977.

It was held in the student union, known as The Pit.

After John had to quit touring with PPL due to severe back problems, he played locally now and then. Here he's captured in one of those appearances.

Last edited by Tom on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby AndyAnderson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Great pics, JDC , Dek Davidson, Mike Tacket.
AndyAnderson

Postby JR » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Just an FYI:

The guitar player on stage right is Jimmie Davidson (Deke's brother and a great player), bass player appears to be Mike Tacket, and the guitar player on stage left playing the red Gibson es335 is Kevin Garlitz, another great player.
JR

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:09 pm

JR wrote:Just an FYI:

The guitar player on stage right is Jimmie Davidson (Deke's brother and a great player), bass player appears to be Mike Tacket, and the guitar player on stage left playing the red Gibson es335 is Kevin Garlitz, another great player.

Jeff:

That is none other than Kevin Garlitz playin that red 335, which is strange because most of the time I remember he played that old '56 Strat he had with the shaved down neck. He was one of my brother Jim's best friends, and past away a number of years ago. He too was another Waverly boy.

Kevin was one of those great guitarists who never got more famous than the local bands he played in, but to those who had the pleasure of hearing him and Harold Frye and the others he played with Kevin could make you so happy just to sit and listen to him jam.

I remember a story Kevin told me many years ago when I was maybe 14 or 15 and he was telling me about the time when he was 13 or so and in the 8th grade and he went to see the classical guitarist Andres Segovia in CMH and he was so blown away but what he had seen and what he was able to do with an acoustic guitar that he said he put the guitar down for many months and gave it up as he said he would never be able to play a guitar like that.

Of course when I went and saw Rim Rock, Alma Omega Road and all the damn different names they played as I often watched Kevin and thought the same thing as he was one fine guitarist.

Kevin is greatly missed, I remember walking by his house over on 5th street on the back way into the old Waverly High School.

Fortunately I got the opportunity to see them practice together almost as many times I saw them jam up at the old Hilltop Inn in Piketon and other venues.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:54 am

It didn't take an Einstein to know these photos would draw out a few of the Ohio crew ! Andy, your timing on the other thread in the main Forum asking about getting Six Shooter Pics was a bit eerie to say the least. Let me know if you have any feelings on daily numbers etc. Thnaks for the ID's.

Mike and The Professor, it's great to read your comments , recollections, your trips down memory lane. I'm glad you enjoy these, it makes it all worthwhile when you guys come on a spice it up a bit.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Sat May 06, 2006 9:28 pm

Kevin was one of those great guitarists who never got more famous than the local bands he played in, but to those who had the pleasure of hearing him and Harold Frye and the others he played with Kevin could make you so happy just to sit and listen to him jam.

Hey, Mike, I really appreciate the stories and insight of the early League and their contemporaries, partners, brothers, and friends. Also being from Waverly, but just a little too young to witness it all unfold firsthand, I really get into the stories of the early days. I turned 18 in 1979, and then got to see some of what was still going on in these parts. I did get to hear Garlitz perform. Just like you said, he never got bigger than the local bands he was in, but the talent was there. Lots of talent around these parts. One guy I never got to hear play was Harold Frye. I heard a lot about him though. Wasn't he from around Buchanon/Nipgen area out Rt. 772? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Blue Max band Frye was in. Got any goods on them? I seem to remember the Blue Max had some success and had a buzz going. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh, and off-topic here, but PPL isn't the only legendary act to come out of the Ross/Pike county area. To country fans across the nation, we in these parts are also particularly proud of this guy name of Johnny Paycheck from the Greenfield area. Hey Mike, or anybody for that matter, got any stories about Johnny Paycheck? I've heard a few, but I got mine secondhand, and you know what happens when stories go thru the grapevine. I would like to hear eyewitness accounts, or close to it. And before I go, one more plea for sharing our local color with the nation. One word. Knockemstiff. Knockemstiff, USA. Knockemstiff is a small village in southwest Ross county, Ohio, with a reputation that is the stuff of Urban (or in this case, rural) Legend. Nestled snuggly in the Huntington Hills, down what is little more than a "holler", one road in...one road out. No fast getaways here. Knockemstiff had a bar that was host to early Johnny Paycheck and others, and some of the stories I have heard are pretty hair-raising. Again, the grapevine theory won't do justice here. Any first-hand accounts would make for great reading, and, to those across the nation that peruse this site, would enhance their understanding of the Southern Ohio music scene in the late Sixties, and early Seventies. I've often said the right person could write one heck of a book, and perhaps, if Spike can pull it off, it may happen. In the meantime, all I'm fishing for here is some interesting stories from those who were there to witness it. These stories will live on here in this forum, and will definitely serve to entertain and inform PPL fans across the nation. So here's a super thank you to all those who have and will submit their stories for all of us to enjoy. Long Live PPL!
Doug

What Do I Remember? Not Much!!!

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu May 11, 2006 10:01 pm

Doug:

Actually my brother Jim, the same one who was best friends with Kevin, also worked as a DJ for WIBO in Waverly. When he first started they tracked albums by like Montovanni and then they changed to a more top 40 format and I remember the first time I heard him on the afternoon drive time show play Two Lane Highway.

In the evenings he worked up in Chillicother as a DJ at the Shawnee Disco and told me a story about one evening when old Johnny Paycheck was there in Chillicothe and stayed at the Holiday INN. Unfortunately I can't remember much of the details other than it wasn't too pretty.

The next time I see him I'll ask him to refresh me on the story.

Actually since I am out of Waverly these days does anybody remember a guitarist I think was from the Ross County area named Denny Dailey? I can't remember the name of the band but I saw him play a couple of times, one was a show up at Mound City in Chillicothe, an outdoor show that was truly a great time for a bunch of us Pike Countians who drove up to rock out.

They did the song Green Eyed Lady and really did it justice. Good keyboard player but damned if I can remember his name.

Unfortunately I don't remember much more about the show including the drive back to Waverly.

Another guitarist from Waverly I remember who was pretty good was Doug Runyon, but he played a lot in Columbus and Chillicothe. But he did play a bunch at the old Sam's Place bar south of Chillicothe.

I actually grew up not too damn far from Nipgen/Buchanan in NW Pike County pretty close to the Ross County line, but I don't remember Harold living out there, hell I thought he lived in the "Heights" area behind the old West Elementary School in Waverly.

Anbody remember Coppers Mountain up in Ross County? I remember a sunrise or two from there after we climbed to the top.

Well enough rambling about the past!

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby AndyAnderson » Fri May 12, 2006 3:36 pm

WOW, Hitting close to home, I used to live at the foot of Copperas Mt. back in the early to mid eighties. Made many trips over to Haps Bar in Knockemstiff. Nice country good deer hunting, it was an old Indian look out where Simon Kenton was captured by the Indians and later escaped. You could look out and see all over the Painted Valley better known as the valley of the kings. Another name from the area who was one hell of a guitar player and singer and still is , Mike Cutright who as I hear is still entertaining with his family in the area. Mike played with Marty Robins and George Jones. Thats enough for now.
Hoodie hoo
Andy
AndyAnderson

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri May 12, 2006 10:38 pm

I remember as a kid growing up before the Appalacian Highway, SR32, we used to cross over Potts Hill just south of Copperas Mt. into Bainbridge and go that way to Cincy to see the Reds play in Crosley Field.

My time in Copperas was in the mid 70's, like I said, I grew up just south of the area near Ross/Pike County Line.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Re:

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:18 pm

The Knockemstiff book did get written!!!

Donald Ray Pollack is now a famous author!!!

Hey, Mike, I really appreciate the stories and insight of the early League and their contemporaries, partners, brothers, and friends. Also being from Waverly, but just a little too young to witness it all unfold firsthand, I really get into the stories of the early days. I turned 18 in 1979, and then got to see some of what was still going on in these parts. I did get to hear Garlitz perform. Just like you said, he never got bigger than the local bands he was in, but the talent was there. Lots of talent around these parts. One guy I never got to hear play was Harold Frye. I heard a lot about him though. Wasn't he from around Buchanon/Nipgen area out Rt. 772? I am particularly interested in hearing about the Blue Max band Frye was in. Got any goods on them? I seem to remember the Blue Max had some success and had a buzz going. Any info would be appreciated.

Oh, and off-topic here, but PPL isn't the only legendary act to come out of the Ross/Pike county area. To country fans across the nation, we in these parts are also particularly proud of this guy name of Johnny Paycheck from the Greenfield area. Hey Mike, or anybody for that matter, got any stories about Johnny Paycheck? I've heard a few, but I got mine secondhand, and you know what happens when stories go thru the grapevine. I would like to hear eyewitness accounts, or close to it. And before I go, one more plea for sharing our local color with the nation. One word. Knockemstiff. Knockemstiff, USA. Knockemstiff is a small village in southwest Ross county, Ohio, with a reputation that is the stuff of Urban (or in this case, rural) Legend. Nestled snuggly in the Huntington Hills, down what is little more than a "holler", one road in...one road out. No fast getaways here. Knockemstiff had a bar that was host to early Johnny Paycheck and others, and some of the stories I have heard are pretty hair-raising. Again, the grapevine theory won't do justice here. Any first-hand accounts would make for great reading, and, to those across the nation that peruse this site, would enhance their understanding of the Southern Ohio music scene in the late Sixties, and early Seventies. I've often said the right person could write one heck of a book, and perhaps, if Spike can pull it off, it may happen. In the meantime, all I'm fishing for here is some interesting stories from those who were there to witness it. These stories will live on here in this forum, and will definitely serve to entertain and inform PPL fans across the nation. So here's a super thank you to all those who have and will submit their stories for all of us to enjoy. Long Live PPL![/quote]
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Return to Photos, Memorabilia