Farewell Tour - New live CD?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Farewell Tour - New live CD?

Postby Zero Zagnut » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Tom, do you have any idea if PPL is planning any sort of new live CD to commemorate their 40 years? It would be great if the living members, current and before, would come together to record one last great PPL CD. And I really hope that Wounded Bird will reissue "Live: Takin' The Stage" at some point - one of the greatest live albums ever recorded, IMHO. As a songwriter, I won a Dove Award a few years back and the Pure Prairie League was the very first band I really got into, collected all the records and all the memorabilia. I hope they play somewhere within a 4 or 5 hour drive of Tulsa, OK so I can check them out before they put it to bed.
Zero Zagnut

Postby LIDog » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:11 pm

It's been a long while since I've visited. I hope that all my fellow prairie dogs out there are doing well.

I certainly couldn't agree more. Takin' the Stage opened the door for me, to the whole rainbow of albums, lineups, and talents that are Pure Prairie League. It's a pity that the site hasn't been all that it might have been, Tom's incredible efforts notwithstanding. I don't really understand why some of the members who've joined the group haven't been more active. You would think they'd be more enthusiastic about it. Curtis was great in this regard, though. When he was on board, he participated a lot.

As you mentioned, a new live cd would be nice, and anything involving members past and present. I know that it costs a lot of cash to do these things, and I don't have much faith in record companies sense of honor, or appreciation of history, but a PPL anthology would be grand. If any band warranted one, it's PPL.

God bless you all. Maybe I'll see you at a show this year. Take care.

"Dog"

#
LIDog

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 am

I've not bene here in almost 3 years and I'm ready to be more active. :) I got bit by the PPL bug a few weeks ago.
pool_of_tears76

live cd

Postby Tornado » Fri May 08, 2009 8:48 pm

I met and chatted with Mike Reilly at a concert in Mass. last year. He was very kind. He did say that the band hoped to record a last "live" cd as a farewell. This he said would be their last recording. The guys are getting older a bit tired. What they would like to do is is invite as many of the former band members to perform on this cd.
This may or may not happen. Although Mike sounded excited about the project, anyone that knows show business knows that dreams and aspirations can often be lost in the dust. That WAS the plan then, where it stands now I have no idea. I only hope that it does happen.
Being a huge fan of George Ed Powell, I'm not sure that there will be another chance to catch him recorded live or otherwise again. I wish the band all the best and hope the dream comes true!
Tornado

Postby Zero Zagnut » Sat May 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Tornado, that would be fantastic! "Mementos" was an attempt at that, but if I recall, RCA wouldn't let Gill sing on that CD. However, I think he played mandolin and/or guitar on it. What a treat to have Fuller, Reilly, Hinds, Powell, Call, the Goshorn Brothers, Pat Bolin, Jeff Wilson, Gary Burr and Vince Gill all come home one last time to give PPL a huge send off. They deserve it. It's hard to believe that PPL has been around nearly 40 years! Where in the world did the time go? Have you seen the clip of PPL on "Solid Gold" performing "I'm Almost Ready"? It's on You Tube. Vince Gill's reaction to all those Solid Gold dancers doing their thing all around the band while they're playing is priceless! Check it out!
Zero Zagnut

Postby Doug » Fri May 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Just checked out that Solid Gold video! Ouch! Man that makes me feel old! Yet somehow it makes me feel young again! Obviously they were lip-synching to the album cut. But still it was freakin awesome. Mike sure had some smarts in his head when he hired Vince and Jeff Wilson. Wonder if Vince would be able to join in on a reunion CD this time around? And better yet, I wonder if he'd be willing to draft up a new song or two for his old band buddies? Now THAT would be the way to go out in style... A two CD set, one CD with all the hits and faves by the alumni, and a CD with all NEW material by the same playas! Craig could write and sing maybe six, and the guest stars could perhaps write and sing two each. Let's say Vince gets two, George Ed gets two, Larry gets two, or maybe Larry and Tim get three, since they are a song writing team, and maybe Burr gets one, since he was with the band for an albeit short period af time, and Mike could get a couple as well. If you could get Curtis in there, give him one as well. Yeah, I know that's like 16-17 songs, but what the heck! If Vince can put out an album with 40-some new songs on it, I'd say anything goes. And what a way to go! If it's the last time the League will ever record, then Goshdarn it, do it big! Nuff said! :D
Doug

Return to Pure Prairie League