PPL Just THE BEST

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL Just THE BEST

Postby woogie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:01 pm

I guess it didn't work so here goes again.Just playing All in good time again, man it's one GREAT cd. That's all I gotta say.
country rock rocks
woogie

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi woogie,

Nice to hear from you.

I haven't stopped playning that CD since I got it. It's a classic, and it adds to an incredible legacy.

Back around late '74 into '75 PPL was credited with being one of the major forces. along with The Eagles for taking country rock into the national music mainstream. They toured constantly, caught fire and received huge airplay, with articles and crtical acclaim in every major rock magazine. Heck, even People magazine raved about their live LP in '77 !

Once they caught on , they never let go, even during personnel changes. Each lineup had at least one release which did extremly well. How rare is that ?

Look at how there releases are looked at today:

It's self titled debut LP and follow up, Bustin' Out , are recognized today as unparalleled in the genre: "For all those who think the Eagles are the be-all and end-all of country-rock, they owe it to themselves to search out this album. Any track here (or on the follow-up, Bustin' Out) holds up as well, if not better than, anything by the Eagles. A country-rock must! "

"The songwriting team of Craig Fuller and George Powell was one of the finest in the business, and on Bustin' Out they made an album that is unequaled in country-rock." ALL MUSIC GUIDE.

Two Lane Highway is hailed by Rolling Stone magazine as "A worthy companion to the Byrd's Sweetheart of The Rodeo and other gems of the genre."

The RIAA has hailed PPL's 1977 Live ! Takin' The Stage as " one of the great live recordings." Classic Rock Magazine has hailed it as "the quintessential live LP"

"Firin' Up is a country-pop album that was truly Gill's breakthrough, and outside of its historical importance is highly entertaining. " " There's not a bad track on Firin' Up, an album that's a fine example of adult contemporary, rock, and country formats all merging in the 1980s. More of a classic than it's been given credit for. " ALL Music Guide

That's some hefty praise for sure !! Now add in the All In Good Time reviews:

"There aren't many bands with a 30-plus year history that can recapture the heart-pounding energy and heart-rending beauty of their earliest triumphs. Pure Prairie League does it almost effortlessly here, an unlikely but potent entry for one of the year's best albums." GOLDMINE MAGAZINE.

"This group is like fine wine--they get better as they age. There isn't a track here that you wouldn't want to listen to more than once. without a doubt, Pure Prairie League is one of the greatest country rock bands to ever hit the scene." MUSIC NEWS NASHVILLE

That's 6 releases that are acclaimed as classics ! Enormous !!

Forget about limiting it to country rock, not too many bands can match what PPL accomplished. They were innovative pioneers who have influenced many, including Lonestar, Garth Brooks, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and many others. In country rock many came and went, others had some extended dry spells but PPL hit the top of country rock and stayed there right into the 80's. Now, All in Good Time simply cements what we already know: PPL is one great band, one that should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League