Feats don't fail me now! Craig and Vince "Join The Band

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Feats don't fail me now! Craig and Vince "Join The Band

Postby Doug » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:00 am

How's that for a teaser? It's true - Craig and Vince (Gill - duh) guest star on Little Feat's newest feat, "Join the Band"! "Little Feat’s latest project is Join the Band, a most unusual sort of tribute record. On it, they serve as the stellar backing band performing several of their classic songs as sung by the likes of Dave Matthews, Emmylou Harris, and Chris Robinson."
http://www.littlefeat.net/index.php?page=joinband Also the likes of Bob Seger, Jimmy Buffet, Brooks and freakin Dunn, Sonny Landreth, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, and oh did I mention CRAIG FULLER and VINCE GILL? Heard this on the radio last night, interview with Bill Payne and Paul Barrere on Feat's new project. Nice comments on Craig and Vince, played "Dixie Chicken" as sung by Vince and Paul Barrere. Paul said Vince had a bad cold when they recorded, and Vince didn't think he could do it, but he gave it a shot, and it came out Great, with a slight edge to Vince's voice. Craig and Vince TEAM UP on "Spanish Moon", Craig teaming with Sam Clayton to produce some powerful vocals. With no intro to the songs, as they talked about each song after they played them, which is perfect, no spoiler alerts needed, I listened as the song started off with Sam singing lead, thought how much I like this song, and then about dropped a load when the "other vocalist" chimed in. I had NO IDEA to that point until I heard that wonderful voice and I'm thinking, Hey waitaminnit! That's CRAIG FULLER, dammit! :shock: Hail, yes! What a performance. And then someone breaks in with this INTENSE acoustic guitar solo, and I'm thinking who in the world is THAT? Some classical guitarist virtuoso? And then they broke in mid-song to ask some questions about how they got Vince to play lead on that song, and I just about dropped another dookie as they resumed the rest of the song with some more lead. They laid on thick praise for Craig when he was in the band, and said that even tho he hated being on the road, he really left the band to start a family. Craig and Vince - just wish they coulda sang together.
Little Feat, "Join the Band" with Craig and Vince. I'm on my way to WalMart now! 8)
Doug

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Doug,

Thanks for a great post, hope all is well, it's been awhile. I take it you haven't spotted the PPL van in Ohio yet.

Yes, it's great to see Craig and Vince team up, Gill has always shown a tremendous amount of respect and praise for the PPL legacy.

I've seen Vince several times over the years and each time he always managed to bring up PPL during his shows. This past summer he toured in an unplugged type show, although electric was used. Itr was a bare bones type thing, no setlist as the audience shouted out requests.

Gill was absolutley mesmerizing, his voice and guitar work incredible. He's an immense talebnt, one of the all time greats. He's Pure Prairie, always will be. I wish he'd release a DVD of this type show.

He mentioned the first time he ever played on a revolving stage was with PPL. Someone shouted out "play Amie."

Gill responded, " I get that a lot. Many people still associate that tune with me, but it wasn't mine, I just had the honor of singing it, it was really cool, playing in a great band like PPL."

Then he looked around the audience, up and down saying " Is Craig here? Is Craig here tonight ?"

"I'm sorry folks, Craig isn't here so I can't do that song. Hey Craig, I'd love to see you again real soon old buddy."

It was great how people applauded even though he didn't sing it.

It must have happened quite frequently since I read in subsequent shows he did play Amie, and conyinued to pay homage to the guys who got him started, PPL.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League