Just Listen One More Time

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Just Listen One More Time

Postby HarryVanderpool » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 pm

I am always amased how a song that you have heard a thousand times can JUMP right off the record as if you are hearing it for the first time.
And I'm sure that is probably it; one has never REALLY listened to the song.
Or maybe they were just never in the right mood to properly recieve the message of the song, until now.
After driving all night long, and into the morning today, it was like I heard, The Cost OF Doing Business for the first time!
I played it at least 10 times.
WOW
Big wow factor. What a great song, and oh so very true!

Thank you PPL!!
HarryVanderpool

Postby Rip Lee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:10 am

Couldn't agree with you more - That was the song that spoke to me the most from the album - took some guts to put that one out and I imagine alot of their fellow song writers agree, although I think it's works universally for non-musicians too.

Rip
Rip Lee

Postby Tom » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Hi Harry and Rip,

Certainly The Cost of Doing Business has attracted it's share of attention!
Fortunately I saw it live and it's a very powerful, soulful tune, one you have to listen to repeatedly. Harry, I couldn't agree more, the more often it's heard, the more it seems to sink in, the more it takes you over. It's a story, it's a message, it's a reflection, a beautifully crafted song, Craig's voice superb.

Rip, yes, the first thing that strikes you is " It's a song about Nashville, it's about the music industry" or something to that effect. More than likely it's because we know who sings it, something about their career or the bands career. However the beauty of it is, yes, it does pertain to all walks of life. Heck, anyone who has ever worked for a living can relate this tune to their own personal situation, the dreams we had so many years ago, the sudden realization that there can be so much more than simply doing a good job, or the age factor settling in. The industry doesn't matter, we run into the same roadblocks.

I stated when the CD came out that the tune serves as a reality check for aspiring musicians as well as a soulful reflection for those who have been there. It does that and more.

I also mentioned how it came about and it's worth stating again. It came about by chance. Curtis and Craig happened to be in the same studio. Curtis was introduced to Craig and the two sat down and started writing some tunes together. This was the first, if not one of the first songs they came up with. Craig had to leave, much to Curtis' dismay. Craig told him PPL was getting back together and holding auditions. He asked Curtis if he was interested and the rest is history.

I also believe that PPL really were quite fussy when it came to getting this tune down in the studio exactly like they wanted it and probably delayed the CD release a bit. The great thing about the guys doing it on their own was no time pressure, no one making the decision for them. And once again , they showed they know what's best.

I'd steer clear of bridges when the song comes on just as a precautionary measure.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League