Demo tape

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Demo tape

Postby wdmathews » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Around 1971 the PPL gave me a demo tape for a friend to give to RCA in Nashville. I did and he did and the rest is history. Anyway I still have a copy of that demo tape which led to RCA traveling to Cleveland to hear PPL and offering them a contract. One interesting thing about the tape is that it contains the original version of Amy with a mandolin solo for the now famous guitar rift. Another element lost in time is the yodeling done by George at the end of the song.

Well I have recently transferred the tape to digital mp3 for my mp3 player and I was wondering if there is an interest in this bit of music history. What should I do with it??
wdmathews

Postby Tom » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Hi wdmathews,

Thanks for stopping in and posting.

I'd say there is an interest ! I sent you a personal message, please check it out when you get the chance.It may give you some good ideas, hopefully.

It was Bob Ringe who actually got it going from the demo tpe. He was an A/R guy with RCA, not really into producing bands at all, although he did some work with Vanilla Fudge prior to PPL.

He went crazy over PPL, has a frim belief in them and when he saw them live it became an obsession , he had to pursue it. He also said he was blown away by John Call's steel, among many other things.

Have a good one,
Tom

Around '75 when Ringe was long gone and PPL, Bustin' Out etc caught fire he stated he had no regrets, it simply validated his passion and belief that PPL was a major force. He also sank some personal money into it. It's been said that he and Craig Fuller were really something else when it came time to produce it, very , very into every single note and detail, every sound was scrutinized by them. Ringe had a place in New York City, where PPL recorded the debut LP and no doubt some good times were had by all.
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 am

Tom:

If WD is able to get a copy to you I would love to hear that!

Mike

PS Bet that would bring back Memories!!!
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

demo tape

Postby Rip Lee » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:17 am

Back in those days Amie was always started with mandolin - Robin Suskind wrote the riff. In fact, the first time I heard it with guitar was on the album (remember vinyl!). Yeah, I'd love to hear it too.

Rip
Rip Lee

Postby Jazzman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Tom, did you ever get your hands on this one?
Jazzman

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 am

Hi gang,

I'll be in touch re: the tape.

wdmathews: I'm sorry my huge thanks to you is so delayed. I don't think you can imagine how appreciative I am, I'm a fanatic for this stuff, and certainly your contribution was an incredibly exciting one for me. Thanks again !!

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

PPL Demo

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Tom:
Sounds exciting just let us know how things go.
WD it sounds like you rock!
Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Hi gang,

George Ed Powell's yodel at the end of Amie takes the prize !!!

Tom Sheridan
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League