Ghost Riders with Phil Stokes

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Ghost Riders with Phil Stokes

Postby Proud1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:37 am

Hi All,
Just got the Ghost Riders new album Fortune Teller 2.0 which features Steve Grisham formerly with The Outlaws, Barry Rapp formerly with Henry Paul Band, and Phil Stokes formerly with our very own Pure Prairie League. Can someone fill me in when, or what part Phil played with our guys, as i don't recall him being on any of the albums. I'm guessing that he must have toured with them at some stage.

It's a pretty good album and they do a nice version of Amie.
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ghostridersband2
Proud1

Postby LIDog » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Roger,
Hope everything's going well across the pond!

In the thread "The Beginnings of PPL" down below, Tom makes a brief mention of Phil Stokes being in the original group before their first record.

A quick internet search also yielded this link, for Sanhedrin Move, a group that Phil Stokes had joined some time after 1969. He remained with them until their breakup in 1973. According to the site, prior to that, he was in a band called Orange Noise. It also claimed that he had recorded with Craig Fuller, although obviously, it wasn't with PPL, so I don't know what they're referring to. There is a photo of him on the site, as well.

All the Best,
Dog
http://www.sanhedrinmove.com/65b.htm
LIDog

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:13 am

Hi guys,

Nice to hear from you.

Dog's got it, Phil Stokes was from back in the bar band days playing in places like New Dilly's in Mt Adams. He played bass in the concert when PPL was first signed by RCA.

The part about recording with Craig probably refers to The Ultimate Prophecy LP by JD Blackfoot, another Ohio guy. That LP saw Criag do the first 5 tunes, side A of the LP, as he joined them just before the recording. The drummer, Dan Waldron, had seen Craig and convinced him to come along for the sessions. Phil Stokes, who had been with Sanhedrin Move, was brought in but only very briefly. He received an LP credit although he actually did not appear on any of the songs that were on the LP. I believe he may have appeared on an unreleased tune or two.

After The Ultimate Prophecy the JD Blackfoot band went their ways. Craig went back to getting the PPL thing going, and Phil continued with JD ( for as very short time) in a band called Uncle Billy.

I read a funny story some time ago about Phil and the band Uncle Billy. They were based in Athens Ga. Phil had only been there a very short time and one day said he was going out to the library.He didn't come back. As it turned out, he hopped a bus and went home to Columbus, Ohio !

Have a good one,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League