AMIE/PPL STILL ROCK NY !!!!

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

AMIE/PPL STILL ROCK NY !!!!

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:32 am

Hi gang,

NY has the largest radio market in the country. In NY City, there is still one station that devotes it's format to classic rock.

Q104.3 FM has had, and still has, some of the most respected DJ's in radio, with an extremly large audience. This station last year ran ads for the PPL/Poco concert on Long Island, in Westbury. It was the only one in the area that I heard get behind the show.

Since 2004, every year at Thanksgiving, the station has it's audience vote for their favorite song. It can be any group or artist, any year, any genre. There are no limitations, no list to choose from. You want it, you vote on it, plain and simple.

When the results are tabulated, the station then lists the top 1,043 songs, the songs the fans want to hear the most.

You guessed it !!

AMIE not only made the top 1,043 list, it came in at a very lofty postion of # 399!!

AMIE has made it into the top 400 every single year since 2004 !

That's nothing short of astounding, when you consider fans can vote on basically anything they've ever heard.

A glance at the list really hammers the point home.

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Lady, It's a Beautiful Day, Good Lovin' , Gimmie Some Lovin', Strange Brew, Rockin' In The Free World, My My Hey Hey, Losing My Religion, End of the World, Hungry Heart, The Rising, Photograph : all top flight tunes by a variety of artists, all with huge success and airplay. But you know what ? Don't play them until you've played Amie, not in NY City. We have our standards when it comes to classic music. And Pure Prairie League is obviously a priority.

Stones ? Sure, let's hear Tumblin' Dice, Happy, Shattered, Let It Bleed, Monkey Man, 19th Nervous Breakdown. No problem. Except of course if you play them before AMIE.

Bennie and the Jets, Candle in the Wind, Rocket Man, Levon all did pretty well for Elton John. It's no surprise the fans put them on the lst. However , it would be a surprise if they put them on the list before Pure Prairie League, but Santa didn't bring that surprise this year. He went with a more reliable gift, AMIE.

Tequila Sunrise ? Sure why not ? But how about a shot of AMIE first.

Peaceful Easy Feeling, Lyin Eyes, hey some great early Eagles, they will probably fill in nicely after we get the quintessential country rock tune, AMIE.

Every Breath You Take, Allentown, You're My Best Friend. Not now, please. In fact, well, never mind, just play AMIE and leave me alone.

Dixie Chicken, China Grove, Cheap Sunglasses, Get Together, Running On Empty, Carry On, Woodstock, Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, Travelin' Band, End Of The Innocence. Now we are getting somewhere. And we will get there right after we finish taking care of business and play AMIE.

Lucy in the Sky with Daimonds. Now there's a classy lady. I think I could stay with you for awhile, maybe longer if I do. But first I'll see what Amie's up to.

Give Me Love, Give Me Peace. Give me Pure Prairie League or give me death.

I Want to Hold Your Hand, Twist and Shout, A Hard Day's Night, Paperback Writer, The Beatles ! Yes, one of PPL's biggest influences ! And once we are done spinning some Pure Prairie League , we'll get right to the Fab Four.

Mind Games. "So keep on playing those mind games together, doing the ritual dance in the sun, millions of mind guerillas putting their soul power to the Karmic wheel..." Huh ? What was that you said John ? Sorry, I never tried to make you think or let you see one thing for yourself.

Green River. Real nice, but somehow something about a serial killer keeps popping into my head, pass on this one.

It's really no surprise Amie , almost 40 years later, still ranks among the most popular tunes in New York. After all, she was born in a park in Syracuse NY before relocating to Waverly OH shorthly after birth.

She's been around the block a few times since then but let's give the old girl some credit: she travels very well.

There is no denying the enormous impact Amie and Pure Prairie League had on the country rock genre back in the 70's when they were credited as being one of the few artists to bring it into the national music mainstream. Obviously that impact is still felt today, the influence of PPL still a force in music.

Hey PPL, it's time you put that first appearance in NY at the famed Carnegie Hall behind you. The fans weren't the ones who booked you with Malo ! You can blame some genius at RCA for that one. But you came back and have done so for about 40 years now, and we've always left the door open, waiting with open arms.

And Mr. Fuller, please think long and hard about this list. We caught the sarcasm : " We came to that mecca of country music, NYC, to record our first LP." Then again , you may be correct after all. We are not the mecca of country music, we never claimed to be, and we don't want to be either. In fact, we don't even have one country music station here. But we may very well be the mecca of country rock music, and we do have a station with an extremely large audience who has proven it time and time again over the years.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Jessie » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:32 pm

Hi,

What a great post ! I really enjoyed it, thanks !

PPL has carried the country rock torch proudly since they started and no has ever done it better. It's staggering that Amie still is growing !

Jessie
Jessie

Postby billyJvoltare » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:44 pm

great post, Tom. You are absolutely correct.

I think it should've been in the top 10, but I guess there a some other good songs around as well... :)
billyJvoltare

Postby Tom » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:21 am

billyJvoltare wrote:great post, Tom. You are absolutely correct.

I think it should've been in the top 10, but I guess there a some other good songs around as well... :)

Yes Jim, there certainly are a few other good ones out there ! Two Lane Highway, Early Moring Riser, Tears, You're Between Me, Flat Tire Merle, Misery Train, Lucille Crawfield , Heart Of Her Own, Boulder Skies,All The Lonesome Cowboys, Fade Away, Country Song, I'll Be Damned, Pickin' To Beat The Devil, That Changes Everything Again, One Of Those Things, If You Say What I'm Thinking and so many others come to mind !

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League