The revenge of the Rowdy Prairie Dogs

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

The revenge of the Rowdy Prairie Dogs

Postby Proud1 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:33 pm

Now i bet that's got you all thinking what on earth this thread could be about.
Well i kid you not it's the title of a new album by a group called The Rowdy Prairie Dogs, and it's really rather good, some nice country rock. Have a listen and judge for yourselves.
http://myspace.com/therowdyprairiedogs
Would've made a great title for a new PPL album don't ya think. :)
Cheers Rog
Proud1

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:51 am

Hi Rog,

It's great to hear from our friend across the pond.

I will give it a listen, that name certainly grabbed my attention !

Yes, an LP title or maybe a movie. Very funny name and title, and country rock no less !

Thanks for dropping in, it's always a pleasure. Enjoy the holiday season.

All the best,
Tom Sheridan
"I have seen the future of country music and it's name is Pure Prairie League."
Nostradamus 1555
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Proud1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi Tom,
thanks for the reply, always good to hear from you too.
Actually all joking aside these guys should be taken seriously, they've come up with one of the best country rock albums of the year. I've had the album for a couple of weeks or so now, and have been listening to it a lot, and i'm lovin it. Don't know much background to this group or if PPL had any influence on them, but they certainly sound a lot like them at times, especially on the songs "Home Movies", which has some great pedal steel and wonderful harmonies, "No More Tears", and "Rebel Domino", nice electric guitar on this song that reminds me a little of early PPL and George Ed Powell.
Great album cover as well with the Guitar slinging prairie dog out in the street facing the gunman, on the back cover he's walking back down the street with the guitar slung across his back so i guess he won the duel 8) :D
Can highly recommend this album, and i look forward to more of the same from these guys, be interesting to see if the Prairie dog features on their next album cover.

Merry xmas to everyone across the pond, and all the best for 2008, hope i can get over to see a PPL show sometime next year.

Cheers Rog
Proud1

Postby billyJvoltare » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:52 am

Great music; thanks for the tip Rog. These 'dogs' are definitely related musically to our PPL boys but they have carved out a nice, original niche all their own, I think. A more accurate description might be, a great, energized Jakob Dylan backed by the Bottle Rockets! Really enjoyed the songs from that link. 'Gracefully' is my favorite of that lot. I want to hear more.

Hey, you wouldn't be my fellow Red Dirt tomato-growing compadre from across the pond on poconut.com, would you? (I'm now SunsetKidd there; I named it after the glorious Paul Cotton sailing song from his 'Coast' solo album.) If so, I always enjoy your tips on great up-and-coming country rock bands.
billyJvoltare

Postby Proud1 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:49 am

Hey BillyJ that would be me, there's only one Red Dirt Rog :lol: . Did,nt get many Red tomatoes this year though it was a miserable wet summer.

Jakob Dylan plays with the Wallflowers does he not, i've heard some of their stuff but never really got into their music.

Can guarantee you'll not be disappointed if you buy the album, not a bad track on it for me, Pushing Back Midnight would make a great single, a wonderful slice of country rock meets pop. Dare i say it i like this album every bit as much as All In Good Time.
Proud1

Return to Pure Prairie League