Vince Gill : Elected to COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Vince Gill : Elected to COUNTRY MUSIC HALL OF FAME

Postby Tom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:03 am

Well , it's should come as no surprise that the former lead singer/guitarist for PPL was recently elected to the Hall Of Fame.

Gill had a few comic remarks re: his old "party days" which include PPL:

"The crowd reserved its wildest cheers for Gill. As soon as Young mentioned the name "Vince" and a youthful picture of Gill flashed on the onstage screen, the audience jumped to its feet. Citing the astounding number and variety of artists Gill has worked with, Young said he was "a living prism refracting all that is good in country music."

Like Tillis, Gill is a member of the Grand Ole Opry and the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. He has won 18 Grammys, an equal number of CMA trophies and for 12 years was the host of the annual CMA Awards television show.

Once Gill got past his tears, he hit his usual comic stride. He recalled his first appearance as a guest on Emery's TV show and how he kept bursting in with answers before Emery, who spoke in slow, measured phrases, could complete the questions. "I was a smart ass," he admitted.

Gill said he first met Tillis in 1979 or '80. "I was in a rock band," he continued, "and I thought we could party." But he said he discovered that he and his bandmates in Pure Prairie League were strictly amateurs compared to Tillis and his rambunctious troupe, the Statesiders."

It sounds like the Mel Tillis and his Statesiders were a fun bunch. I'll bet they drank a little Kentucky Moonshine too.

Gill, of course, has won 18 Grammys, an equal number of CMA trophies and for 12 years was the host of the annual CMA Awards television show, and has emabarked on an amazing journey since his PPL days.

In a truly unbelievable twist, in 2005 Gill and the man who succeeded him in PPL , Gary Burr, were both elected to the Nashville Songwriters Hall Of Fame on the same day.

I just happened to see a rebroadcast of Ringo Starr's Storyteller's on TV a day ago. There was Gary Burr, singing and strumming away. Gary appeared on PPL's new CD, All IN GOOD TIME, on the tune One Of Those Things. Last month it was Curtis Wright with Reba. The wheel goes round and round I guess.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League