Live PPL recordings

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Live PPL recordings

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Fri May 11, 2007 8:08 pm

I came across a stack of Live PPL that Tom sent me last year. Thanks to Tom...haven't heard this in a long while. Great stuff indeed. It's a shame that Takin' The Stage isn't available on cd. Someday perhaps?! The OLD RCA cd was edited. I just finished needledrops of Dance, Stage & Just Fly..they sound great. Willing to share these of course :)

I have to wonder what was left OFF of Stage...as well as what the band might have amongst it's own board tapes and such. I wonder if Mike or the other guys have anything.

I'm on a PPL kick after digging up Two Lane Highway the other day...takes me back to the age of 4 when I first heard this album...one of the best country rock albums ever IMO.

Ok...I think I forgot my intended point but I'm pumped about PPL again.
pool_of_tears76

Postby Tom » Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 am

Hi Pool,

Those shows never get old, believe me, I know what you mean. I still look like a raving maniac driving around , screaming in the car etc. This past week I've ben listening to a '76 show, amazing stuff !! They are priceless to me. Little did I know the shows I was at would be on something called a cd 30 years later, amazing. One show in particular has a moment I'll never forget: just before the band does their encore, someone who may possibly have been overserved tossed a boot on the stage. It landed in front of George Ed Powell, who picked it up, and looked amazed , and appeared to be admiring it when Mike ran over, grabbed it from him and held it up for the crowd saying, " well like we say, if the shoe fits " The boot was a Texas Imperial, with pheasants going up the sides with some incredible stictching. It was returned after the show to someone with one boot on, obviously the proud owner.

As far as Stage goes, well we talked about that a long, long time ago and even had Jeff Redefer comment on it. Jeff was the guy behind the scenes who did the dirty work and made PPL sound so fine. The tunes on that LP were the ones that they were doing on that tour. Now, PPL had done other tunes in concert in prior years that didn't appear on it such as Aren't You Mine, Long Cold Winter, Tornado Warning, Gimmie Another Chance, etc as well as a few that never hit a studio LP like Nashville Again and KC Jones. All in all though the selections on that LP were great, an incredible, highly acclaimed LP. The RIAA hailed it as " one of the great live recordings."

As far as what the band might have , believe it or not, I don't think band members have any old shows ! I have sent what I have to band members past and present who have been very excited to get their hands on them after all these years. There is one man I'm still trying to track down who did sound board recordings of shows for the band to listen to later on to critique themselves.

A very unfortunate thing happened: recordings the band made during the RCA years which were stored away in some warehouse in NJ , I think, were destroyed, they were sitting in boxes and I think they had been drenched in a flooded basement or something along those lines.

I am ready with live shows to pass around, I have made front, inside, back covers for all of them , have all tracks listed in addition to all band members in the show. And yes, Luke is all over the place. I want to touch bases once again before getting the stuff on the site. I have sent out a ton of stuff the past few years to those who have requested something or I just offered it to people who wrote me. Hopefully they will make their way around.

Have a great weekend,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby pool_of_tears76 » Mon May 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Pool,

Those shows never get old, believe me, I know what you mean. I still look like a raving maniac driving around , screaming in the car etc. This past week I've ben listening to a '76 show, amazing stuff !! They are priceless to me. Little did I know the shows I was at would be on something called a cd 30 years later, amazing. One show in particular has a moment I'll never forget: just before the band does their encore, someone who may possibly have been overserved tossed a boot on the stage. It landed in front of George Ed Powell, who picked it up, and looked amazed , and appeared to be admiring it when Mike ran over, grabbed it from him and held it up for the crowd saying, " well like we say, if the shoe fits " The boot was a Texas Imperial, with pheasants going up the sides with some incredible stictching. It was returned after the show to someone with one boot on, obviously the proud owner.

As far as Stage goes, well we talked about that a long, long time ago and even had Jeff Redefer comment on it. Jeff was the guy behind the scenes who did the dirty work and made PPL sound so fine. The tunes on that LP were the ones that they were doing on that tour. Now, PPL had done other tunes in concert in prior years that didn't appear on it such as Aren't You Mine, Long Cold Winter, Tornado Warning, Gimmie Another Chance, etc as well as a few that never hit a studio LP like Nashville Again and KC Jones. All in all though the selections on that LP were great, an incredible, highly acclaimed LP. The RIAA hailed it as " one of the great live recordings."

As far as what the band might have , believe it or not, I don't think band members have any old shows ! I have sent what I have to band members past and present who have been very excited to get their hands on them after all these years. There is one man I'm still trying to track down who did sound board recordings of shows for the band to listen to later on to critique themselves.

A very unfortunate thing happened: recordings the band made during the RCA years which were stored away in some warehouse in NJ , I think, were destroyed, they were sitting in boxes and I think they had been drenched in a flooded basement or something along those lines.

I am ready with live shows to pass around, I have made front, inside, back covers for all of them , have all tracks listed in addition to all band members in the show. And yes, Luke is all over the place. I want to touch bases once again before getting the stuff on the site. I have sent out a ton of stuff the past few years to those who have requested something or I just offered it to people who wrote me. Hopefully they will make their way around.

Have a great weekend,
Tom

Cheers Tom,

I never forgot the shows you sent me. I especially like the 1976 Pittsburgh and 1978 Long Island shows. I hate to ask but...is there more stuff out there I've not seen. PPL stuff isn't exactly widely circulated.

I sure do wish RCA would reissue all of the PPL stuff...bonus tracks...maybe. As you said stuff that RCA stored was damged and/or ruined. I know in the mid 80's there was a fire that destroyed Atlantic Records' storage warehouse.

I can only hope the multitrack tapes of the shows recorded for Stage still exist. But yes, it's a fantastic album. I can't get enough of it...and it's a sonic marvel.

I hope those soundboards turn up...that's be a thrill...or as Mike Reilly might say "mighty fine".

I'm ready to share shows too.
pool_of_tears76

Return to Pure Prairie League