Fats Kaplan

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Postby Doug » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:41 am

Thanks guys for the info! I, like everyone else on the board enjoy the stories and learning new stuff about PPL. Thanks for the Mershon info, fanzine. Memories sure can be fickle! Like I said in a post awhile back, the right person could write an interesting book on the history of PPL. By "the right person" I mean not only someone with author skills, but also someone who could interview all the different sources and come up with a consensus on the differing memories of those interviewed.
Also interesting would be the differing viewpoints from those involved. More than anything I enjoy reading and hearing the stories from the "horse's mouth". Second and third hand tellings begin lending themselves to the "grapevine theory". Wouldn't it be great to get a new PPL album this fall, and then a book somewhere in the not too distant future? After 36 years of history, I think a book would be well received by PPL fans. Probably would sell good at the concerts, as well as online. Yo, Mike! Whaddya think?
Doug

Postby Stalker » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:19 pm

hey folks,

i saw PPL for the first time last October, and they were only a 4 piece band for this show. seeing them twice this summer with Fats on steel really added the icing on the cake. his contribution on steel and violyn really add to the songs and give them that real country-rock flavor.. it was awesome to sit thru an entire set of tunes that featured steel guitar on almost every song..
Stalker

Mershon Concert

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:38 pm

Well guess who else was also at the old Mershon Concert at OSU back on December 1, 1977, and in fact I was rumaging through some drawers and found this.

Ticket was $5.50 seems like a steal now but back then as a broke college student I probably skipped lunch all week to go.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

chillicothe here we come!

Postby Rip Lee » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:13 pm

Am I hearing (seeing) right??? I'm rubbing my eyes and scratching my ears - Chillicothe shows 9-30 and 10-1!!!??? Can't imagine why George and John wouldn't come - and a great time will be had by all -

Thanks Prairie Dog,

Rip Lee
Rip Lee

Re: chillicothe here we come!

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:02 pm

Rip Lee wrote:Am I hearing (seeing) right??? I'm rubbing my eyes and scratching my ears - Chillicothe shows 9-30 and 10-1!!!??? Can't imagine why George and John wouldn't come - and a great time will be had by all -

Thanks Prairie Dog,

Rip Lee

Rip:

Unfortunately that was last fall and they did both show up as well as Coffe, and Tom McGrail and Barry and Rick Barnes and the others. The new CD All In Good Time has a live song on it from the Chillicothe show on Saturday night.

Mike

Yes I was there and I am still Jonesing for the rest of the show to be released!!!!!
Last edited by Vice Admiral Swiss Navy on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Rip Lee » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:51 pm

Does Tommy McGrail still live?? Is TP Waterhouse around? What about Barb and Starr - anyone remember them? They could belt out a song and I'm pretty sure were the backup singers on the first album.

Rip
Rip Lee

Postby Proud1 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:16 pm

Just been listening to The Tractors album Fast Girl from 2001. Fats Does an excellent job on Fiddle, Steel Guitar, Dobro, Mandolin, Accordian and Harmonica. As he does On Steve Ripley's Self Titled Solo album from 2002.
Proud1

So many memories

Postby graylobo » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:23 am

This may make yaw'l a little bit jealous. I grew up in northern, Ky and attended the U. of Cinti. You all can guess where I spent my weekends partying like hell ... on Mt Adams at "New Dilly's" bar owned by Terry Rickerson( who was from Scotland). I started hanging out there and partying there when I was 17.... different era. PPL was the house band and I used to know them very well. They were doing " Aimee "long before it was released. Beer was 50 cents and the chicks didn't know what a bra was. Pure heaven for a 22 yr. old over sexed hetero male. (Oh, did I forget to add ... handsome adonis? :lol:) But anyhoo, you can imagine how much fun it was. I forgot to mention another great act there also, Popeye Maupin, a bald, portly,black blues/jazz singer who used to perform and hang with John Lennon( what stories he had). When closing time came, Terry and the other regs would lock the doors and we would drink free scotch and arm wrestle for a while. Mt Adams was not uppity at that time. It was Popeye again, along with Cincinnati Joe and his girlfriend performing at the "Mahogany Hall" down the street. Then over to the Chapter XIII across the street where I would drink beer and bs with the likes of Jerry Springer ( yes, he was a slut puppy even back then ). The days when you could walk out of a bar and not have to look over your shoulder are long gone. I hope I did
graylobo

Postby Tom » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:23 am

Hi gang,

Roger, thanks for the tips on Fats. He's been on so many various projects, it's nice to see a few mentioned. He's special alright! I'm putting something together for the site which will have some detailed info re band members,their background, and the many projects they have been involved in. Curtis is another who has a list that reads like a who's who of country music. Recently he's been doing some more stuff with Reba, and all I'll say is she better not get too attached to havng Curtis around ! YOU HEAR THAT BLAIRSBOY !! You are Pure Prairie. He also is on Shenandoah's last CD, check out their site for a copy.Rick Schell has been in a number of high profile gigs. If you don't already know it, Rick has a highly acclaimed CD out, The Salt Of The Earth. Check out his site too !

graylobo,

Thanks for joining and providing us with such wonderful recollections from a time period that so many of us never tire of hearing about. We've had a number of people who were from the area and it doesn't get any better than hearing tales of the earliest days of PPL !!! New Dilly's, Billy's and a few other spots are always first on the list when it comes to the earliest roots of PPL. To be a part of that scene so many years ago, and having such warm, vivid memories( even with those 50 cent beers, hey we had those here too!), well it doesn't get any better than that. Certainly a different time period, I agree.Thanks again for taking the time to post !!!

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Pure Prairie League