Fats Kaplan

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Fats Kaplan

Postby billyJvoltare » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:40 pm

I've read that he wasn't at the latest PPL show...does anyone know why? I'm hoping he hasn't dropped out of the summer tour.

Speaking of the tour, I'm getting a completely blank page when I try to bring it up on my computer...is it just my machine or is anyone else encountering the same glitch?
billyJvoltare

Postby LJDJShow » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:27 pm

I had heard that Fats had previous bookings elsewhere and would not be with PPL for a few shows.I was told he wouldn't be with them on tonights show either.
LJDJShow

Fats Kaplin

Postby prairiedog » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Guys;
Fats had previously booked a couple of shows (early this year) with Kevin Welch & Keiran Kane, and Robbie Foulks. He was at the Edmonton Folk Festival last weekend, and sweltering in Texas with Robbie this weekend. He'll be back in the lineup for the remaining shows this year.
Thanks........
Prairiedog
: {-
prairiedog

Postby billyJvoltare » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info, PrairieMike! :D
billyJvoltare

Fats Kaplin

Postby prairiedog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:39 pm

Billy, denosb, et al;
Boy, is my face red! I forgot that Fats is also booked elsewhere on 9/30 and 10/01 for the Chillicothe, Ohio shows. We're trying to get John Call to play on those gigs, as well as inviting George Ed Powell to come up. I'll keep you posted.
Prairiedog
prairiedog

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:59 pm

Unbelievable news!
This might be the only time I wished I lived in Ohio... :)
billyJvoltare

Postby rfa77 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:08 pm

Wow! IF this comes about, is there ANY chance this might lead to something permanent???
Lets keep our fingers crossed!
rfa77

Postby knight1 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:28 am

John David Call and George Ed Powell, "Mighty Fine!" Please book a show at the legendary Riverside Ballroom in Green Bay, Wisconsin. That would be priceless.
knight1

J.D. and George Ed

Postby Doug » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:06 pm

"WHERE'S J.D.?" bellowed the voice from the audience, between songs. "WHERE'S J.D.?" continued the man, this time joined by his compatriots. "WHERE'S J.D.?" continued the refrain between songs, the trio sitting right behind 16 year old me, accompanied by my dad and mom. Finally, after the fourth or fifth song, after the young men had barked their refrain again, Mike stepped up to the mic, looked out into the audience square in our direction and said the only thing he could say, "He's gone...". The guys seemingly accepted this, and the show went on. But a funny thing happened before the show was over. After a brief intermission, (Prairiedog, I know you've played a zillion shows and couldn't possibly remember this one, heck, I'm having trouble remembering the details - but correct me if my memory is a little off here) and into the second set, LO and BEHOLD, John David Call appears on stage, and the guys behind me went nuts! The word in the audience was that evidently Mike had called John during intermission and John hustled over and sat in with Mike, George Ed, Larry, Tim, Michael, and Billy. It was during the Live - Takin' the Stage Tour @ Mershon Auditorium on the campus of the Ohio State University. Being from Waverly, and with my older brother being a fan, my parents became fans as well. My dad had been a local country musician since the early fifties and appreciated and enjoyed J.D.'s pedal steel. I gotta say, man, that showed some class! Mike didn't have to invite J.D. over, but he put the fans first. John was living in Columbus at the time, so it couldn't have worked out better. The guys behind me, clad in bib overalls, tee shirts and work boots, with hair down their backs, putting a funky smell into de air, left in grand spirits, as did I and my folks (and not from de funky smell). I may well attend both Chillicothe shows, now. Thanks, Mike. Where's J.D.? He's back!
Doug

Postby billyJvoltare » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:26 am

Doug, that was a great read; thanks for sharing.

At this point, though, it sounds like only a possiblity, as Mike used the words "trying to get" and "inviting" his former band mates...

As exciting as the possibility is, keep us posted, Mike!
billyJvoltare

Fats Kaplin

Postby denosb » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:39 pm

so if he gets them are you gonna come out from Jersey?hey you could move here we need a Governor :roll:
denosb

Postby Doug » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:07 pm

To billyJvoltare: Hey, man - I got the Faith! He WILL be there! (I hope!). Just yesterday I learned that John has moved back to Waverly, and is setting up a recording studio. People that know him personally say he's very sharp and knowledgeable, and I've also heard from a musician aquaintence that JD sat in with his band recently and that John was just amazing on pedal steel (I should point out that JD was actually in a band or two with several of these guys years ago, post-PPL, and has done other projects with many of these musicians. The PPL alumni weren't the only guys from this area to reach a measure of success in the music biz. Back in the day, altho small in numbers, there was a hotbed of talent around these parts, many who have been in bands with, and have done projects with alumni of PPL. I like to call these guys the "contemporaries". These guys - and ladies, too, I should add, are rightfully proud of their musical heritage and the success that Craig, JD and others have had. All this is just commentary from an interested observer, and fan of the genre (me) ). It's pretty exciting to be from this area, and to hear all the stories and tall tales concerning my favorite band. Some stories even achieve urban legend status. For instance, in this area there exists supposedly four (according to the story) 1970-something Astro vans with the first four album covers painted as murals on the side, and that these vans were owned by PPL members and that they had commissioned an artist to render the album covers on their vans. Remember when painting murals on the sides of vans was a big fad? I'd heard this story for years. Then I actually saw one of them in Waverly, with the Bustin' Out cover on it. A few years later I saw a second (different) one in Chillicothe, and talked to the owner about it. This one had the Two Lane Highway cover painted on it. Supposedly it had changed hands a few times and they didn't know who the original owner was. I saw a third one going down the highway one day, didn't get a good look at it, but it was definitely Luke the cowboy on it. So at the Cincinnati show I told Mike Reilly about all this and asked him if PPL actually ever did commission some artist to paint four vans for them. And he said he thought he'd heard all the stories, but he'd never heard that one, and that no, there was no truth to it that he knew of. Niether he or any member of PPL to his knowledge had ever commissioned these vans to be painted. And yet they DO exist. At least two, and possibly three of them. I was even offered the chance to purchase the Two Lane van. At the time, my money was tied up in building a spec house and I couldn't do it. Since then, they have moved and I don't know where to. But, man those vans were cool. Do a little restoration on them, and they'd be a crown jewel in someone's PPL memorabilia collection.
I guess I could ramble on and on (and I guess I have!), but hey - ain't this what message boards are all about? I invite others to share their PPL stories with us. Hey - if Mike Reilly can come on this board and share with us, so can everyone else! And don'tcha just wanna give Mike a big Thank You for resurrecting PPL and giving us all another chance to enjoy it all one more time? Mighty Fine!!!
Doug

Postby Doug » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey, denosb - how close to Mt. Orab are you? Heard any George Ed Powell news lately?
Doug

Postby Tom » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi Doug,

I enjoyed your posts. As I had mentioned on another thread, John recently recorded Yellowhand with JD Blackfoot. It's available on his website, but only mail order.It's not country rock, JD does storytelling narratives( ie: 1969 Ultimate Prophecy with Craig). I didn't receive it yet but if John's on it, I had to have it. John also made an appearance on Marshall Tucker's 1993 ? CD Still Smokin'. Blackfoot says John will also be in the studio in the fall with him for another CD and may do some limited touring also in the fall.

John I think played with a band many moons ago called 6 Shooter or something like that years after leaving PPL. He never stopped playing, did some local stuff etc and even did some musical teaching.. In '78 he toured with Craig in the Fuller/Kaz band--what a treat that was, John and Craig were incredible together !! John is very bright, he was an engineer. He had put his studies on hold when he decided to run with PPL. One teacher told him once that the musical thing would go nowhere, it's a waste of time type thing. He sent an autographed LP to him once PPL had it going. But after a bad back forced him to the sidelines, he went back to the engineering thing. It's fair to say he's a wiz, an extremely bright man. He said he pursued pedal steel , as opposed to the guitar and banjo, because he loved the complexity of it ! He can basically do whatever he wants on an instrument with strings, he's that good.

George was laying down some tracks last fall in his studio and Craig and John stopped in to do some stuff with him. That was in Oct and Nov '04. It's entirely possible that George will at some point release something. I sure hope so as does anyone who ever heard PPL ! Gotta go, see you later. All the best, Tom
Last edited by Tom on Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby fanzine » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:21 am

To Tom and Doug- Yes, John Call was in a band called Six Shooter after leaving Pure Prairie League. He and Six Shooter played Marietta College, Marietta, Ohio where I attended and I got to talk with John and get his autograph. I asked him at the time if he had played on any tracks for the Just Fly lp and he said yes but that they were unreleased. Memories can be fickle but I seem to recall that Six Shooter played at least on PPL song- Two Lane Highway.
Doug- I saw the Mershon Auditorium show as well. As I said memories can be fickle but I recall John Call coming on stage around the time of the third song. The band was supporting Just Fly as they did several songs from that lp. Hickory Wind was the opening act.
I mentioned Marietta College earlier and PPL was set to play there in support of Two Lane Highway. I couldn't wait to see them but the show was cancelled when Billy Hinds broke his wrist. They finally appeared at Marietta College when Vince Gill was in the band.
I first saw PPL at the Poe Ditch Music festival at Bowling Green University.
fanzine

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League