Concert Classic 2?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Concert Classic 2?

Postby hiro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 am

I found and ordered a live album "Concert Classic 1", but Amazon sent to me "Alive In America" with same setlist. :roll:
My question is, is there "Concert Classic 2"?
Freebird Radio is servin' you the Best Classic Rock, 24 hours a day!
hiro

Postby Tom » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:50 pm

Hi hiro,

No , there is no Concert Classics 2, and unfortunately there never should have been a Concert Classic 1.

It's basically a live bootleg show from a radio broadcast released without permission. A cease and desist order was put out to Rennaissance Records, who also released another bootleg, Songs Of Pure Harmony.The band has no association with either CD and doesn't want to.This happened to quite a few bands in addition to PPL. I believe Feat, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils were among those also victimized.

They appear to be trying to do some end around, releasing in March 06 the exact same CD, Concert Classics vol 1, except now they have a different cover, same picture, and call it Alive In America. Jeff Wilson wasn't in the band, he's on the cover and listed in the insert. The track listing is incorrect too. The liner notes are inaccurate and were written by someone who doesn't have a clue about PPL or it's history. They appear to be the bogus bio that AMG posted on their site years ago, one which was ultimately completely redone after about a year of spoon feeding them the correct info and demanding a change. But in the meantime, they peddled their garbage all over the internet.

Songs Of Pure Harmony had the same problems: Wrong personnel , etc and liner notes From Bob Harris, who later admitted he dropped the ball when it canme to doing an accurate job. Disgraceful all the way around by those involved.

But since you already ordered it , enjoy it, just be advised that it's not the professional touch you would expect from a PPL release.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby hiro » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:45 pm

HI Tom,

Thank you for your reply. I understood completely about these albums. Amazon sometimes sells bootlegs. I'm still learning PPL, is it correct the page about PPL on the wikipedia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Prairie_League

hiro
hiro

Postby fanzine » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:44 am

Those folks who released Concert Classics numbered the releases Volume 1,2,3 but each volume was for a different band. PPL might have been volume 1 and Firefall volume 2, Amazing Rhythm Aces volume 3 or something like that. It was confusing as it did lead to people thinking that there were more releases from each act. I agree with Tom, the pictures, liner notes, song listings were unprofessional. Little to no thought went into them.
fanzine

Postby hiro » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Thanks fanzie,

Yes, I was confused PPL has vol.2. I confirmed at Amazon, Vol.2 is Firefall and vol.3 is Amazing Rhythm Aces... They look like bootlegs but I'm interested because I wanna listen to the Firefall live during Rick Roberts era. Do you know how the quality is?
hiro

wikipedia

Postby Rip Lee » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:01 am

Seems like the article is pretty accurate except I know of no song named "Down to Pieces" by George. Has anyone else heard this one?

Rip

ps. Tickets came yesterday - looking forward to the show!
Rip Lee

Postby fanzine » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi hiro,
the sound quality for the Concert Classic cds is not up to the standards the bands would like to see. Tom's comments above show how PPL felt about the release and I know that the guys in Firefall were not pleased either. They will not sound like "official" live releases from major labels. Instead, they sound like "cheaper" versions- taken from radio show tapes. That said, the Firefall cd is the only way to hear the band live, unfortuately. Jock Bartley told me a couple of years ago that Firefall was going to release a "live" cd of the current line-up, but it has yet to happen.
Steve
fanzine

Postby riverwatch04 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:29 pm

The Firefall one didn't sound very good at all. Both Rick Roberts & Larry Burnett sound like they were captured on an off night. The PPLs were better but not anywhere near the quality we're used to seeing on a live album or hearing at an actual show. The Ozark Mountain Daredevils was mastered too slow! I believe there is also a Doctor Hook one that was put out by one of those companies. Never heard it.
There was another series called Archive Alive that put out an Ozarks show from 1973 that was quite good. They also put out a few others, like Canned Heat & the Hollies. On the Hollies we got a bad mix that eliminated the lead guitar....
riverwatch04

Return to Pure Prairie League