PPL Albums

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL Albums

Postby riverwatch04 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:01 pm

I believe I heard several years back that Al Brisco, who played steel on Bustin' passed away.
Wow, never knew that was Ronson on the high harmony on Amie.
riverwatch04

Postby jmhall » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:06 am

Unless something happened in the last six months, Al Brisco is alive and well living in Canada. I saw him play at the Texas Steel Guitar Jamboree last March. He's playing better than ever. He has a website http://www.steelguitarcanada.com/.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:33 am

Well Jim, it does appear that Al made a full recovery from his death. The advances they've made today are truly remarkable. Mick Ronson wasn't as fortunate as he passed away in '93, so he probably will not be a guest on the new CD.
Last edited by Tom on Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:54 am

jmhall wrote:Good trivia, Tom. Thanks. It seems that Mike Reilly has the "staying power" thing going on. I assume he is one of the main forces behind the group's longevity.

Yes Jim, Mike's efforts are a huge reason PPL didn't fold and fade into obscurity back in '73. Of course the music they played didn't hurt either ! He called it a "labor of love" in an interview a few years ago. He did all the behind the scenes work, the "dirty" work that , for the most part, goes unnoticed-the hiring of new booking agents, managers, personnel, label changes etc. He kept the whole thing alive right through today. Of course, it doesn't happen all by itself, the other band members were working their butts off too! He did whatever it took to keep PPL on the road, and, in turn, the national music mainstream, including singing Craig's songs while PPL got their act together after Craig left. Now, no one in their right mind would want to do that , so that tells you something about him ! I don't think it was something he particularly cared for, but he knew it was necessary, so he did it. He took on the role of front man when it was sorely needed. As John Call once said, "It's a good thing too, you weren't getting a word out of the rest of us." When the new bio comes out there will be more details on this type of thing.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jmhall » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:27 am

I noticed at the Gruene, TX concert that Mike was busy taking care of some of the band's business. He even got things in action so guys like me could buy a PPL teeshirt. I've been listening to some PPL songs off two lane highway and have developed a greater appreciation for Mike's talent. Prairiedog, you are much appreciated.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby Plum Rose » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:32 am

Michael Reilly is the "PURE" in Pure Prairie League!!
Plum Rose

Mementos CD...

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:44 pm

Don't know how I ever missed it , but I did. Can someone provide the track listing of that one for me? It appears to be out of print...that true? :twisted:
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Mementos cd

Postby denosb » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:51 pm

1-country song
2-early morning riser
3-falling in &
4-amie
5-boulder skies
6-two lane highway
7-pickin to beat the devil
8-sun shone lightly
9-let me love you tonight
10-i'm almost ready
11-i'm hot you're not
12-does this only happen when you fall in love
13-never thought love would find me
14-love is an illusion :D
denosb

Momentos cd

Postby denosb » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:56 pm

ps yea long time oop -every once in a while on ebay for a god awful price -i'd do you a cdr if you'd want rather than give some shyster top dollar(and the group get nothing anyway.mike does the vocals on i'm hot-craig does the other new songs.has every former member i think on the cd as these are redone-even vince plays a guitar or 2 but fuller sings his parts
denosb

Appreciate that denosb...

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:03 pm

one more question for you...was this a best-of or what exactly if you know? I'm not familiar with some of these tunes...are any previously unreleased? Any info would be helpful.
:twisted:
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:26 pm

Hi Dan

This was done as a thanks type of thing from the band to it's fans. The official title is Mementos 1971-1987.

Band members include Mike, Craig, Mike Connor, Larry and Tim Goshorn,George Powell, John Call, Gary Burr, Gill, Mike Hamilton , Dan Clawson and Joel Rosenblatt. George sings Country Song, Larry does Two Lane, Tim does Sun Shone Lightly. Mike also does Pickin' in addition to I'm Hot.

A few tunes were previously unreleased. I'm Hot was a Gary Burr tune( he replaced Vince Gill when Gill quit). Love Is An Illusion was writtten by Craig, Mike and Tim. Does This Only Happen was by Mike Hamilton and Mike Reilly. Never Thought Love Would Find Me was by Craig and Eric Kaz.

It was recorded , mixed etc in Dublin Ohio between Feb and May 1987. Mike Reilly produced it and the Exec Producer was JD Blackfoot, the guy Craig recorded with in '69.

As denosb mentioned, Gil just plays , but no singing. RCA would not grant him permission to sing, but said it was OK to play ! Craig sings Gill's tunes making this quite ironic and special as well.

All tunes were recorded fresh, no tracks were from previously released LP's.The guys did this on their own and RCA made it as difficult as possible for them getting it released, but they prevailed. There were only 5,000 CD's printed, and it came and went quickly. It was very much a word of mouth thing as PPL was doing some touring with Craig after he came back around '85.

The cover is a classic PPL cover. Sad Luke the cowboy, all cleaned up now, dressed like an old western businessman in vest staring into an old mirror looking at the cowboy we all know. All about the room are Mementos from his past--a boot, the knife, holster, the old hi fi stereo etc.

I'll throw a teaser in here: there may be something else re: this CD down the road.

As long as I mentioned Burr, more PPL trivia. Burr recorded and worked(still does) with Ringo. He appeared on the VH1 special Storytellers, and is on the front cover of that CD with Ringo. In other words, when an ex-Beatle is looking to start a top flight band for a national special where does he look ? To PPL of course, where else ? Why make it complicated ?

All the best guys, Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:06 pm

I'm lucky enough to have a copy. To me, it's a PPL 'Holy Grail', perhaps.
In my opinion, the earlier Craig 're-done' songs are best; Craig's Fallin' In and Out is truly spine tingling. The second half is a bit too 'slick' for my taste; also, there's a sax on Two Lane Highway - a terrible idea; even in the Vince Gill era concerts they didn't utilize a sax on that classic.
Just my opinions of course. It's definitely worth seeking out. Tom...can you give any more info re: your brief, cryptic reference...?
billyJvoltare

PPL Albums

Postby riverwatch04 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:26 pm

Sorry guys. Looks like it was something I'd only thought I'd heard. Glad to hear Al's alive and well. I knew Mick Ronson had passed. That was a shame. Talented guy!
riverwatch04

Re: PPL Albums

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:55 pm

riverwatch04 wrote:Sorry guys. Looks like it was something I'd only thought I'd heard. Glad to hear Al's alive and well. I knew Mick Ronson had passed. That was a shame. Talented guy!

Hi riverwatch,

Hey, no need to be sorry, very few people get a second chance. I can't imagine how grateful Al is that this board resurrected him. Of course it did bury him to begin with, but let's not look at it that way.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Pure Prairie League