PPL Albums

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL Albums

Postby jmhall » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:59 am

Can someone get me up to speed on PPL's first album. I understand it is difficult or next to impossible to get this recording. Does anyone have any info regarding this?
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby Dan Williams III » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:05 am

Always remember this...NOTHING is impossible...with the exception being finding PPL's first album. And that is a real shame considering that it is possibly their very best work. And what the hell is the album's real title anyway..."Dreams of Long Ago?" Regardless, as I have posted before, it is one of my 'Desert Island Discs," always with me...in my head, ears, and heart. Craig and company got this one just right...whoever Bob Ringe is, God bless him, he's one hell of a producer. The incredible sound quality and energy of these tunes has led me to believe that the entire band was holed up together in a house for a year and rehearsed and refined these songs until they were molded into the perfect masterpiece of country-rock that this record is. I would go as far to say that this was one of the tightest bands I have EVER heard on record. It just does not get better than this. But I digress. For your info, it is long out of print. I am fortunate to own two vinyl versions and the 1997 CD from Renaissance Records, a very special two-fer 'If The Shoe Fits/Pure Prairie League." 'Lucille Crawfield' definitely fits nicely with Craig's stuff. Several songs from the 1st LP also appear on PPL Greatest Hits from BMG. Check www.gemm.com or ebay. Best of luck, everyone should own it. One final thought, this album showcases not only John Call's pedal-steel virtuosity, but also is a field day for Craig's incredible lead-guitar mastery. As a guitar player myself, I studied and learned Craig's leads note for note, and I equate that accomplishment with getting some of the Ventures' Nokie Edward's licks down pat. Craig's inspiration made me not only a better musician but a songwriter as well and I thank him for that. When I finally met Craig recently, he told me that he used a Les Paul Jr. to get that wonderful tone and sustain on the first album. He also said that Amos Garrett was a big influence on his style of playing. :twisted:
Last edited by Dan Williams III on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi guys,

This topic came up before the threads were all deleted, don't know if you saw it or not. Many people were asking about it. It's hard to believe it hasn't been reissued, even harder to believe that the two/fer Dan mentioned was discontinued. It has gone for some steep $ on ebay recently.

Dan's review hit the nail on the head ! It's a must for any country rock lover, an absolutley amazing piece of work. Fuller and Call excel, it really doesn't get better, those two had something very,very special together. The official title , by the way, is simply PPL. The Dreams of Long Ago that Dan refers to is the title of the record that cowboy Luke is holding and was the title of the Norman Rockwell painting that PPL used as the LP cover. Dan makes a really good point -with all the excitement that Craig generates as a singer/songwriter, sometimes his guitar work gets overlooked. I rarely see anyone bring that one up !
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Dan Williams III » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:50 am

Not that anymore need be said aout this topic, but if anyone cares, here are reviews of first two albums:
Critic's Review

Jim Worbois, All Music Guide

For all those who think The Eagles are the be all and end all of country-rock, you owe it to yourself to search out this album. Any track here (or on the followup, Bustin' Out) holds up as well, if not better than, anything by The Eagles. This album also proves that Craig Fuller is a grossly underrated songwriter. A country-rock must!
Critic's Review

Bustin' Out...

Richard Foss, All Music Guide

The songwriting team of Craig Fuller and George Powell was one of the finest in the business, and on Bustin' Out they made an album that is unequaled in country-rock. The songs are meditative portraits of relationships that aren't running smoothly but are still alive, and they sound autobiographical rather than something contrived to sell records. These tunes are presented with grace and unusual taste, the country guitars and vocal harmonies backed with astonishingly sympathetic string arrangements by Mick Ronson. Both lyrical and musical themes carry over from song to song -- "Falling in and out of Love" and "Amie" are really two halves of one suite, and there are echoes of that suite throughout the rest of the album. Despite the extraordinary beauty and intelligence of the music on this album, it was not immediately successful, and the already troubled band broke up after it was released. Nevertheless, the influence of Bustin' Out was profound, and one song in particular became a staple for bar bands everywhere. RCA re-released "Amie" as a single more than two years after the album came out, and it was a Top 30 hit. The revival of interest in Pure Prairie League led RCA to re-sign the group, alas without Craig Fuller. That hit status also led to a rediscovery of the merits of the rest of Bustin' Out, which is acknowledged to be one of the artistic high points in country-rock history.
:twisted:
Dan Williams III

Postby jmhall » Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:04 am

Much thanks Dan and Tom. I was able to pick up a copy of the album on Ebay. Now I'm on my way.
By the way, I couldn't agree more about Craig's guitar playing.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby PPL70s » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:51 am

Don Felder (former Eagles) did a guest appearance on the "Two Lane Highway" album on mandolin. Does anybody know exactly which track(s)? For that matter, was that Don's only guest appearance with PPL?
PPL70s

Postby Tom » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:22 am

I think the track was Memories and I don't think Felder played on any other PPL LP. A few other guests were on it , Emmylou Harris doing vocals on Just Can't Believe It, Chet Atkins on guitar on Kentucky Moonshine.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby PPL70s » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:35 am

Thanks, Tom. That album sure had great guest talent, didn't it???!!
PPL70s

Postby jmhall » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:22 am

OK. I need some more trivia info. Who was the line-up for Bustin Out? I understand it was more along the lines of studio musicians. Anyone have that info - a list of who did what?
Jim Hall
jmhall

Bustin' Line-up...

Postby Dan Williams III » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:59 am

Craig Fuller-Vocals,Electric and Acoustic Guitars, Bass
George Ed Powell-Vocals, Electric and Acoustic Guitars
William Frank Hinds- Drums
Michael Connor-Piano
James Rolleston-Bass
Al Brisco-Steel Guitar
Rick Ronson-Backup vocals
Dianne Brooks-Backup vocals on 'Leave My Heart Alone'
Little Bobby Ring-Maracas and Shakers
Mick Ronson-String Arrangements
Engineer-Mark Smith
Producer-Robert Ringe
:twisted:
Last edited by Dan Williams III on Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Williams III

Postby jmhall » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:39 pm

Thanks, mucho Dan.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby prairiedog1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:27 am

Just to let you know.

I bought an original of the first PPL album on CD some six weeks ago.
Sometimes it pops up on the internet. But prices are very high. I bought mine for € 130.-
Definitely the highest price I ever paid for a CD.
Hopefully it will be re-released in the near future.

Greetings from Deurne Netherlands
prairiedog1

Postby Tom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm

Jim,
You may also be interested in a little anecdote re: the Bustin' Out personnel. It was drummer Billy Hinds who contacted his old friends Mike Connor and Mike Reilly to get them to join PPL. Connor left Woodstock NY and headed straight to Toronto, but Reilly was involved in another project. By the time Mike arrived in Toronto another bass player had already been tapped for the project. So while Mike Reilly was there, he didn't participate but became an official member of PPL when the recording was completed. For a 1972 "walk on", Mike sure took advantage of his chance at a "starting position" in the lineup didn't he ? Take care, Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jmhall » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:58 am

Good trivia, Tom. Thanks. It seems that Mike Reilly has the "staying power" thing going on. I assume he is one of the main forces behind the group's longevity.
Jim Hall
jmhall

mo' trivia

Postby prairiedog » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:55 am

Fellow Prairiedogs;
Here's another clue for you all - the Walrus... (oops, wrong band).
Mick Ronson sang the high harmony part on "Amie"; Craig played the bass on that track.
Re: the new CD - It's almost ready (pun intended). A couple of background vocals, maybe a guest appearance on a track, mixing & mastering. We're looking at the last week in September for final completion. Hey, it's been 18 or 24 years; what's another couple of weeks!
John Call is on board for the Chillicothe shows; good chance of George Ed showing up too.
Later,
Prairiedog
prairiedog

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League