Vince Gill, These Days, new album

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Vince Gill, These Days, new album

Postby Proud1 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:56 am

Good to see Vince has a new album, These Days, released on the 17th oct. A 4cd set with 43 songs featuring duets with such notables as Phil Everly, Rodney Crowell, Guy Clark, Patty Loveless, Emmylou, Sheryl Crow, Michael McDonald and Bonnie Raitt among others. Sounds like one not to be missed.
Footnote.....available to preorder, $23.99 at amazon and $20.99 at cd universe. There's a songlisting at amazon.

Cheers Rog.
Proud1

Postby Tom » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:40 am

Hi Roger,

Nice to hear from you again.

Yes, Vince certainly has taken on quite a project. As things turned out he ended up with a huge colection of tunes which ultimately became a 4 CD set of all new material.

It's great to see someone break the mold in the sense that they have the chops to release something that isn't exactly what fils up the country airwaves or those statrions that play the same videos constantly. Gill is one of the all time greats, and this sounds like one of those things where he had some fun.

Gill is going to be on Imus In The Morning on Oct 17th, he opens his tour at the Nokia Theatre in Times Squre NYC, right near where PPL played at BB King's in August.

I'm sure Imus, who plays country stuff all the time, will have Gill's new 4 CD set. However, that is not enough

Gill better show up with 5 Cd's for Imus !

Here's some more on Gill's project:

This didn’t start out as a set of four very different CDs.

There was no plan to record forty-three original songs and gather them into an unprecedented offering of diverse, accomplished artistry. When Vince Gill went into the studio with some trusted musical colleagues back in September 2005, he intended to assemble another in a long line of first-rate albums, mixing a little hard-core country, maybe a bluegrass number or two, perhaps a sacred tune. But—thanks in part to the Beatles—things turned out differently.

It’s not that he hadn’t thought before about undertaking a lengthy exploration of the various musical sides of his creative self. Indeed, with an adventurousness rivaling Willie Nelson’s, he had imagined releasing a bluegrass record, a country record, a contemporary record, and an instrumental record all in a row. But, for whatever reason, he had never won support for his idea, and such a series of different releases was not in the cards as this project got underway.

When Gill started in on the new album, however, something unusual and wonderful began to take shape. For starters, his prolific songwriting had given him a body of some forty new songs, from which he was to choose ten or eleven to record—a daunting task. Instead of trying to pick the winners on the front end, though, he simply went to work, determined to capture a song a day in the studio.

At this relatively relaxed pace, Vince and his musicians were free to work on arrangements, on sonic textures, on making changes that occurred to them in the democratic recording process that Gill—a musician himself, after all—encourages when he’s in charge. This method quickly yielded remarkable results—the songs sounded good, and the musicians enjoyed the experience.

“I had so many songs I wanted to record, and I really had no deadlines.â€
Tom
Site Admin

Postby wheland » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:41 pm

I'm planning on getting this one. It's on sale on amazon for a great price.

There are some great guests on these discs- like a who's who of more than one genre of music.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Jazzman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:56 pm

If you like Vince doing blue grass then you need to find yourself a copy of the Byron Berline Band and Sundance live at McCabes. It's an LP from 1977 and Vince is in the band at the age of 22. They tear it up and Vince does the vocals on about half the songs. I got my copy on ebay.
Jazzman

Postby Tom » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:17 am

Hi Jazzman,

Great to hear from you again, hope all is well.

Wow ! You touched on a classic. I got my hands on that one right after I heard Vince with PPL. Great stuff, a real good look at Gill's early bluegrass roots. Molly and Tenbrooks, a Good Woman's Love, etc . Just a kid, it was obvious he would be going somewhere. And he did, to LA with Byron and the band where he ran into PPL.Thank you Byron Berline.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Jazzman » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:14 pm

Hey Tom, hope you and your family are well and you had a good Thanksgiving. The first time I heard Vince it was with PPL at MountainAir about 1979 that country rock thing had me hooked. I had read that Vince did some bluegrass before PPL, I just didn't know it was recorded. Once I found the lp i got it right away and burned it to cd. What an amazing find! I also think he hasn't changed his style much in 30 yrs.
Jazzman

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:54 am

Hi Jazz,

Thanks for the kind words, I hope you and yours had a good one.

The shows during the Gill years certainly were great, The Kid really jumped right in and let it all go, he sure wasn't bashful ! Like I've said a few times before, when it came showtime, all the pressure in the world from the record company couldn't change what PPL put out before the fans: some very upbeat country rock. Gill's work on the fiddle , banjo, guitar was amazing. It was also during those years where someone besides Mike actually worked the crowd. It must have been a nice breather for Mike.He was again astute enough to let Gill do his thing, give him room, while still maintaining control of the setlists and everything else related to the band.

Gill is one incredible singer/songwriter/musician. I agree in many ways his style has been consistent over the years although on his new CD (absolutely amazing what he does on that) he goes off in a few different directions both in song style and content.His musicianship is brilliant.

He was on Imus a few times recently, and although he didn't mention PPL, someone else did. Legendary NFL QB Phil Simms called in for some football stuff a few days after Gill was on and brought up PPL, asking Imus wasn't Gill in Pure Prairie League. Imus knew about it, telling him Gill was in PPL before his country years. I think Simms was going to go on but Imus steered him back to football.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League