John David Call to the rescue

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

John David Call to the rescue

Postby Tom » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 am

Pedal steel legend John David Call, the man who co-founded PPL and brought his brilliance and PPL to the forefront of country rock, continues to perform his magic !!

At a few recent shows and again at last nights show , JD filled in for Fats Kaplin, who had a prior engagement. What a treat for fans to catch Craig and John once again doing what they started back in the late 60's in Waverly, Ohio where they both resided. It's tough to have a guy like Fats among the missing, but who else but PPL could bring in a legend like John David !

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby HarryVanderpool » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:13 pm

John Call is my favorite Steel!
I suppose one could argue that the mix was a bit heavy on the first album; I loved it!
If I could make one suggestion to the band:
On the song, Walking in my Sleep: bring the steel guitar to the front like in the first album!
JMHO
HarryVanderpool

Postby Rip Lee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:42 am

John's steel interplay with Craigs guitar on Country Song can't be beat. Also the steel on Tears "made" the song (in my opinion). Without a doubt, he was the best around at the time but never got the recognition (and he was so damn humble about it). Glad to see all these years later he's still playing and people appreciate it. Maybe once the "big guy" is well healed there will be another Chillicothe reunion.
Rip Lee

Postby Rip Lee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:43 am

That was supposed to read "MAYBE" there will be another Chillicothe reunion (sorry about that)!
Rip Lee

Postby Dan Williams III » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:49 pm

HarryVanderpool wrote:John Call is my favorite Steel!
I suppose one could argue that the mix was a bit heavy on the first album.
JMHO

No way! I say turn it up! It's absolutely the best pedal-steel playing that I have ever heard. Nobody plays with more emotion and good taste than John Call. No one!!!
Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Return to Pure Prairie League