11/17/06 York, PA Concert

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

11/17/06 York, PA Concert

Postby Tom » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:23 pm

It hasn't hit the Tour Page yet but another Country Rock Legends show will be held on 11/17/06 at Strand-Capitol Performing Arts Center w/Poco & Firefall.

www.strandcapitol.org

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Hockeyedmart » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:53 pm

Very cool news Tom and thats only 30 minutes from home!! Thats a must attend and can't wait for the ticket info on that one. Keep that tour going strong! Prairiedog, Ed
Hockeyedmart

Postby wheland » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:33 pm

I'm a new member here but I've seen PPL three times this year already- I'm mainly a Poconut but really have enjoyed the sets PPL did at the shows I was at- I even got to see Mike with the band in LI in May. I was at the binghamton show and also at the Penn's Peak show. that one was just a great show by all 3 bands and I got to speak with some of the guys at the hotel and at the show.

I've got my ticket for the York show. they went on sale this past Thursday.

I got the ticket in the mail today.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Tom » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:30 am

Hi Dennis,

Real nice to see you here. I'm sure you've seen a few famiiliar names.

The Country Rock Legends shows are great and the ones with the PPL and Poco billings ar truly special. Somewhere along the way we did something right to deserve this. Personally I don't know what that is, but I don't care either. Mike's trip to LI in May was a great surprise, next time we all have to meet somewhere and say hi. I was hoping to go to York but it doesn't look that promising right now.That should be another nice one. I'm sure you'll have a great time again.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby wheland » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:47 am

Tom,

Yes there are a few familar names here- great minds think alike. :lol:

Sorry you'll miss the show in York. Were you by chance at the show in collingswood about 2 years ago? That was simply a perfect show- the sets by both PPL and Poco were tremendous. I've got the Poco set on a boot but not the PPL set.

The acoustics at the Scotish Rite Auditourium are tremendous. I've seen several other shows there and I actually think the sound is better up in the "nose bleed " seats- which are not that far from the stage anyway. We were in the pit for the PPL / Poco show and it was great but it was a bit better further back.

I'm sure we'll meet somewhere laong the way- the band splay together enough to make sure of that. Heck, I'm so into PPL by now that I might even go to a show that Poco wasn't part of.

Dennis
wheland

Postby Tom » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:56 am

Hi Dennis,

No , I wasn't at the Collingswood show, and that one really burned me!
It was two years ago this month.At the time, PPL had only done a few shows and there was nothing solid yet as far as a tour for 2005. So I sat there thinking, "Wow, PPL's back, incredible,it's really happening,and it's not in Bumhump ,Idaho, it's Jersey ! " (sorry Idaho). I was sky high.As time for the show grew near, I realized I probably couldn't go.Somewhere along the line I grew a conscience and at that time I wasn't too thrilled about it, I should have put the conscience on ebay and went to Collingswood NJ with my wife. Then I heard both shows, PPL and Poco. My wife and I just looked at each other, completely disappointed. "Something's wrong, somehow we should have been there, no matter what,who knows when , if ever, we'll get this chance again." The shows by both bands were outstanding, the sound incredible. It really hurt hearing it, but boy was it great. That was definitely a show to be at, no question about it Dennis. Mike Reilly made a remark re: the sound, saying something like " Hey it sounds great up here." The crowd burst into applause, and Mike realized it sounded as if he was talking about PPL sounding great, looking for a compliment. " No, I mean the sound system sounds great, does it sound as good out there as it does up here?" He obviously really liked the sound at the Scottish Rite Auditorium, and he's played a few places.It sure seems like a great venue. PPL played without Fats that night and still sounded terrifiic. Boith bands were really on their game ! I know Jimmy aka, Billy J Voltare was there and loved it too. Craig sang a song that night that hasn't shown up again, If My Heart Had Wheels which was a killer. I think PPL is saving that one for the future.

Of course as time went on the disappointment of missing the show was eased as PPL came out with a 2005 schedule, and there it was" Farmingdale, NY 7/16/05. That night my family and I had the time of our lives, the frst PPL concert in almost 20 years.That's a show that will always stand out for me, a wonderful evening.

Now fast forward to Oct 2005. One year after Collongswood, same scenario. It's Chillicothe time. I had always sworn that if John Call returned, I'd be there no matter what. Not only John is there, but George Powell, Jim Caughlin, Tom McGrail, and a whole crew of people that were around PPL from it's formulative years. What started as John filling in for Fats snowballed into a huge event. Of course, we couldn't go. A real jolt. So all that means is that at some point it will happen again and all I can say is " If John and George or Larry Goshorn come back to play , I'm there,no matter what, I swear it, no excuses, nothing will stop me. "

Dennis you brought up an interesting point. These shows with Poco and PPL have introduced fans in the 40-50's to some music they may not have been familar with. There are diehard prairiedogs and poconuts who are now backtracking , picking up the music of both bands after seeing them in concert or picking up their recent releases.Not a bad bonus at this stage of the coutry rock game.

All the best ,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League