Country Rock!

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Country Rock!

Postby getbent » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but I've been a country rock fan since I first heard the Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, PPL, Poco, FBB, Silver stuff of my childhood... All these years I've waited patiently for it to come back and it appears we have new albums to buy! I d'ld the PPL album last night from itunes...

One band I really like that plays in the LA area is Rancho Deluxe.... if you get a chance to hear them, they make some good music. This looks like a great site! Thanks for the great tabs... I stayed up late playing songs last night! too cool!
I have not intention of leaving the freak era
getbent

Re: Country Rock!

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:06 pm

getbent wrote:... All these years I've waited patiently for it to come back and it appears we have new albums to buy! I d'ld the PPL album last night from itunes...

It never went away; I guess we fans just sorta waited around for the internet to be invented. We just didn't know there were so many of us.

iTunes is great. Just bought Richie Furay's new one, Heartbeat of Love, from there two nights ago.
Other real hard to find country rock stuff on iTunes: Gene Clark stuff, lots of later Byrds, Poco, Johnny Cash's older material, Buffalo Springfield, Fogelberg, Hillman, NGDB, and more all the time.
billyJvoltare

Postby jaybuzz » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:12 pm

This may be a little off topic, but does anybody remember a band called "Free Beer" from the late 70's?

Maybe more Folk-Rock than Country Rock. Had a terrific debut album, a so-so second album and totally vanished.

jbz
jaybuzz

Re: Country Rock!

Postby getbent » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:53 pm

billyJvoltare wrote:[It never went away; I guess we fans just sorta waited around for the internet to be invented. We just didn't know there were so many of us.

iTunes is great. Just bought Richie Furay's new one, Heartbeat of Love, from there two nights ago.
Other real hard to find country rock stuff on iTunes: Gene Clark stuff, lots of later Byrds, Poco, Johnny Cash's older material, Buffalo Springfield, Fogelberg, Hillman, NGDB, and more all the time.

You are, of course, correct! There is a scene that is developing in LA that I would almost move to be a part of... some good bands that embrace PPL, Poco, early Eagles, FBB etc and bring some new folks to the sound. I am so happy to know that other folks dig this stuff! I'm going to an Andrew Gold house concert in about a month and it will be cool to hear some of the sounds that I remember so well, still alive, still amazing.

Hey, I do vaguely remember Free Beer.... I gotta think about it... I remember something about them... must be old age!
I have not intention of leaving the freak era
getbent

Richie Furay

Postby kdrapcho » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 am

With all due respect to God and religion... Is Richie's new album religious or country?
kdrapcho

Re: Richie Furay

Postby RedRiverPatrol » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 pm

kdrapcho wrote:With all due respect to God and religion... Is Richie's new album religious or country?

Richie's first non religious album in a long time and quite good.
Dave

You are only young once, but you CAN be immature forever.
RedRiverPatrol

Postby fanzine » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:50 am

I saw Free Beer at Marietta College ( Marietta, Ohio ) back in the day. I believe they actually did three lps before vanishing. The line-up I saw was the expanded band that recorded the second lp. The first and third lps were made as a trio. This second lp is the best of the three.
fanzine

Return to Pure Prairie League