Complete Goldmine review of "AIGT" plus my 2 cents

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Complete Goldmine review of "AIGT" plus my 2 cents

Postby Dan Williams III » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:11 pm

Letter to editor in recent issue...

Clutch Cargo prefers spinners.
Dan Williams III

Postby MartinD28 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:02 am

One of the problems with reviews (sometimes) is that those doing the review may not be as knowledgeable of the artist as are the dedicated fan base. Unfortunately the writer of this review falls into the trap of "the Amie association" - an artist is labeled or identified with the biggest hit of the catalog. All of us on this site know that PPL has cranked out an abundance of both great hits as well as tremendous album cuts. That's a nice mix. The band has put out a bunch of albums over the years - not sure if the writer of the brief review is that familiar with the albums or not. On the other hand, he was complimentary of the new CD.
MartinD28

Postby fanzine » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:44 pm

Dan, I agree with what MartinD28 said about the Goldmine reviewer. I also agree with the letter that you wrote to Goldmine. When I originally read the review and mentioned it in a post on this board, I foolishly didn't catch the "one-hit wonder" statement. I can't believe I let that one get by and I thank you for bringing it to Goldmine's attention.
Steve
fanzine

Postby Tom » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:29 am

Dan,

That's the way to do it ! Even though "the man" may very well be younger than us now, it doesn't mean we still can't stick it to him.

I agree, even though some reviewers may not take the time to accurately state PPL's legacy, (they could at least throw in a line how PPL had several gold, platinum Lp's etc) at least they take the time to listen to the new CD, and more importantly, like it and write a review. It's all too easy sometimes to say "Oh PPL, Amie" but that in itself is a huge compliment, at least they can make an association without thinking too hard. But we will continue to keep our eyes on them and keep 'em honest !

All the best guys,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League