Montgomery Riverfront Show-Awesome!!!

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Montgomery Riverfront Show-Awesome!!!

Postby jaybuzz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:42 am

Hey all, we made the trip down to Montgomery, AL for the PPL/Poco show last night and it was fantastic!

The venue is beautiful, a grass ampitheater with a beautiful Bandshell with the River behind, the crowd was very large and enthusiastic, and the steady drizzle that persisted all day stopped about 10 minutes into PPL's set. (they opened and left afterwards to make about a 4 hr drive up to Nashville)

I can only imagine how much larger the crowd would've been if not for the fact that it had rained all day!

No Curtis, but no complaints. Rick did a very nice lead vocal on "Two Lane Highway", Craig did the stand up comedy normally reserved for Reilly, he's got a wry, self-deprecating wit and was in rare form.

Sorry no set list, but I loved everything they did, and got a chance to say hello to Craig and Rick for a minute or two as they were loading up, Craig says Reilly is doing better, which I had read here, but somehow it was even more reassuring coming from him.

Rick Schell is just the nicest guy ever, and Craig has such a pleasant demeanor you have to remind yourself you're in the presence of greatness..

They really seemed to enjoy themselves, and I have to give Poco their due, they put on a great show, and I can't imagine a better band for PPL to tour with.

a couple of pics for your enjoyment. (Click thumbnail for enlargements)

Jay in B'ham

jaybuzz

Postby jaybuzz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:04 pm

Try this link for slideshow with more Montgomery pics...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... lideshow=1
jaybuzz

Postby LIDog » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:34 pm

Thank you Jay!! Great photos!

Your comments on the show are also greatly appreciated. (Did you remember to bring your guitar and chord charts with you?!!)

They're coming back up here in another couple of weeks, and we'll be there to greet them at BB Kings!

All the Best,
Dog
LIDog

Postby jaybuzz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:10 pm

I'm glad you like the pics, Dog.. I was actually dissapointed they didn't turn out better, since I took many of them while standing on the side of the stage itself during "Boulder Skies". (it's really amazing what sort of access a vintage PPL T-Shirt, a sense of purpose and years of bullshitting experience will gain you in this world)

If I win the lottery, I'll book them to play on my island and you'll be the first one I invite.

Here's a picture of me, but I'm much more handsome in person.. at least I hope like hell I am!!

doggedly,
Jay

jaybuzz

Postby pocofan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:35 pm

Great show indeed. I had never seen PPL with Craig Fuller so it was a real treat for me. Craig is a nice guy, I met him several years ago in Nashville and he is really a humble man. Donnie Clark was impressive. Great job on vocals and what a lead guitarist. Thanks for sharing the pics. I was there, dead center fourth row. Our daughter got us complimentary VIP seats, how ever I don't think theres a bad seat in that venue. Great sound system too. I really enjoyed the song selection. Covered all eras of PPL. Poco....I'll be the first to admit that some of Poco's shows during the 90's and early 00's were not that hot. Poor song selection and they all but abandoned the country rock sound. Saturday night they nailed it. Played songs the fans enjoyed and Rusty Young spent a little more time on pedal steel. Both bands really had a good time playing and put on great shows. I would have liked to hear PPL do a few more songs but the weather delayed starting and they did have a drive back to Nashville after the show. Paul Cotton looked better and his voice sounded much better than it did a few years ago. And that is the first time I've seen Paul dead center and having fun with the other band members and the audience. He usually stays off to the side and is really quite. It was a treat to see both bands together and they both put on a heck of a performance. If these guys are playing near you don't miss it. Would have been nice to see Mike R. there with the guys but Rick Plant did a superb job. Your right, Craig does have a pretty solid sense of humor.
Mike W
pocofan

Postby jaybuzz » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Thanks, pocofan..

I had never seen Poco before but have always enjoyed their music. They impressed me.

I was disappointed that the show wasn't marketed more widely- I wouldn't have known about the show 80 miles down the road if I didn't frequent this site.

I had to resort to some "Guerilla Marketing" to get the word out here.

Do you live in Mtgy? If so, I compliment your city leaders for putting in such a nice venue, my town lacks effective leadership so we don't have a decent place for a show like that. Either a too-large ampitheater with $75 tickets that bands avoid because they don't sell out, or smoky beer joints...

Has the show been reviewed in "The Montgomery Advertiser"?

jay
jaybuzz

Postby pocofan » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:27 pm

No, I live in Prattville, just outside Montgomery. Your right, very nice venue. Great sound system and perfect atmosphere. Bobby Bright has done a good job as mayor of Montgomery. I don't know if the show has been reviewed but the newspaper did a couple of articles prior to the show. It was advertised very little. The local cable system had a community events thing and like I say, the paper had three articles/interviews. My daughter produces the morning show for one of the local TV stations and they had somebody on last week to talk about it. Probably where my complimentary VIP tickets came from. The Commodores are the next act to appear there. BTW, I've been to dozens of Poco shows, this was one of the best. PPL was very good, but I saw them on the Two Lane Highway tour and that was the best I've ever seen them. Oak Mountain always had god shows, but the ticket prices kept me from going to many of them. If Montgomery can put together acts like this for the price they did they will do well.
Mike W
pocofan

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:54 am

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the comments and pictures, great stuff. The rain certainly didn't dampen your enthusiasm. It sounds like another fine night of music from these two legends.

Yes, many are finally getting to see Craig for thr first time, amazing. With Mike on the sidelines, Craig's done a great job handling the crowd. Since his return, he's had a lot of fun exchanging banter with Mike, but he's got his own brand of wit working for him. He was terrific at Westbury , his comments generating quite a few self inflicted wounds, much fun.

I remember in '78 when he toured with Eric Kaz and John David Call, outstanding stuff, opening for Feat. Getting near the end of the set, which really had the crowd's attention, he steps to the mic and says " I'd like to thank you all for listening. Usually we only get a few songs into the set when we start hearing " Feat, Feat Feat." Naturally the crowd responds with a huge roar , chanting it. Craig is standing there laughing, quite pleased with the reaction. " uh oh, it looks like I got you started " he tells
them. Another great night.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League