PPL Folds

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL Folds

Postby riverwatch04 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 pm

Tom, do you have any idea why Mike and Mike decided to fold up the band after they finished their scheduled commitments in the Spring of 1988?
I was disappointed when that happened and always held out hope of a reunion(I was surprised it took them a decade to come back!)
riverwatch04

Postby Tom » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:35 am

Hi riverwatch, how have you been,

I believe it was simply a case of it was time to settle down.

The guys had been on tour non-stop since 1972 with PPL. Prior to that, they toured England as members of the Lee Riders. They had lived in a few places, including Woodstock NY and spent their entire adulthood up to that point basically on the road. And when these guys toured we are talking about 200 shows a year all over the country. They had no "down" years. That's an extremely long time for anyone to work that kind of grueling schedule.

The comeback was always predicated upon when they would have the time to do things the way they wanted to,the right way. I always felt Reilly in particular would return, after all, he's not only a terrific musician, he's the guy who kept it not only alive but very successful for so many years. PPL ran through his veins, he has a fierce pride in what they accomplished and rightfully so. But after '88 he went on to other ventures outside music where he was very successful and also had a family. Craig also was interested in a comeback, and like Reilly and Connor, shared the same feeling as to doing it in style, not just record or tour for the sake of seeing the name back out there. Again, the pride factor. From that point it was a matter of time as to when it would get off the ground, when they could take some time away from their personal situations.

Have a good one,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby riverwatch04 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:42 am

Thanks for the insights Tom. I'd figured as much. Yep, they sure did have a huge schedule of shows during those years. Not a year went by that I didn't hear of them playing somewhere. That's why I was so shocked when there was suddenly........nothing. At the same time I was happy to see Craig in Little Feat and loved the three albums he did with them.
riverwatch04

Return to Pure Prairie League