PPL,Craig :Future work

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

PPL,Craig :Future work

Postby Tom » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:12 am

Last year after a July show I remarked how Craig had stated that he never stopped writing-no surprise there- and that at some point would be thinking about a Craig Fuller CD, as he had a vast collection of tunes and his own recording studio. He was recently interviewed prior to a Chicago show and his remarks certainly spell good news for those looking for more recordings from PPL and Craig.

We always feel so welcome when we come on stage," he said.

"It's a testament to what a couple of hit songs can do for a band.

"People come to hear our songs the way we played back then.

"And those are the arrangements they'll hear."

Anyone who remembers the PPL's two biggest sellers, especially the catchy-can't-get-out-of-your-head "Amie" — "Amie what you wanna do/ I think I could stay with you/ for a while maybe longer if I do" — also will not be disappointed in songs from the band's latest CD, "All in Good Time.

The 12 tracks of easy listening country rock keep calling you back, music with the flavor of what might have emerged if the Jayhawks had collaborated with the late John Denver.

Anyone who wants to check out "All in Good Time," can listen to the entire CD while surfing the PPL Web site, www.pureprairieleague.com

Still, while the band is recording and has a solid tour schedule, Fuller is not counting on a one-track musical life.

He's in the process of pre-production for his first solo CD, and has a library of 200 songs he's either written or co-written.

"Right now, it's just a matter of selection," he said.

Once the CD is completed, Fuller is not too concerned about getting it out there, especially with the Internet.

"If you have some name recognition and can get distribution, you're way ahead."

But for now, the PPL is front and center.

"I hope the audience understands I do not rest on past accomplishments.

"The most important work I am going to do will be in the future."

As lead songwriter for the 2005 release, "All in Good Time," Fuller continues to prove he has a lot more to do.

Sounds to me like we still have much to look forward to, although I think we already knew it. It can't hurt to get a little confirmation though.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby MartinD28 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:58 am

Tom...great news.

I have a question - with that large collection of songs, do we know if the songs to be recorded will be a mix of songs we're familiar with and new material or just all new material. Either way, any release from Craig Fuller is like having a winning lottery ticket. Looking forward to this CD.
MartinD28

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:42 pm

The best thing about a solo album is that that is usually a misnomer, because the majority of them have so many extra friends along for the production and recording.

With Craig it would be most interesting to see if he does an all Craig album as there is no doubt if anyone has the talent and ability to record something completely by themselves it is Craig.

On the other hand if it is like most "solo" albums it is amazing the number of friends that come out of the woodwork to help complete such a project.

Either way, I know I'll get my copy as soon as its available!

Mike

Still looking out for and waiting for GEP's release as well.
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Copy that

Postby Tornado » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:33 pm

I too eagerly await something from George Ed. No disrespect to the great effort of PPL's latest. It is great!
Tornado

Postby Tom » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:01 am

Hey Martin,

I just realized your question was never answered, so sorry.

And now I can say I have no idea !

If Craig eventually does a CD, I would imagine it would be mostly new material. I asked him when PPL first came back if he had a load of tunes, feeling certain that he must have continued writing etc, since he also now has a studio. And naturally he said yes, I mean, it really was a dumb question. But I did want to hear it from him that he had them. It's always a possibilty with Craig that he could throw in a song we are familiar with , put a new twist on it. He's done it before: Angel with JD Blackfoot ended up on Bustin' Out, Call Me Tell Me from Bustin' Out ended up on the first American Flyer LP, and now Cajun Girl fron Feat ends up on All In Good Time, so who knows.

Hopefully he'll continue doing some new PPL stuff for quite awhile,and they'll tour again while Craig sorts through his volume of work. I'll gladly volunteer to sort through it with him and narrow down the selections to about , oh say, a three CD package. But that's all after a live PPL CD, studio CD, DVD, tour and anything else we can think of.

Hey Tornado, everytime George or John get mentioned I get sick all over again that I was not at Chillicothe last year. I can't say enough how much that hurts !! Craig, John, George, Mike and the new lineup all at once...I must get off that topic now.

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League