All In Good Time Airplay

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

All In Good Time Airplay

Postby worthit » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm

I've been enjoying the new CD on the web player over the past week at work and today told my wife I wanted the new CD to be my Father's Day present. I want our band to cover "I Sure Do Miss You Now". I haven't been listening to country radio anymore because of the poor quality of the Nasville crap. Our band (One Way Ticket) is moving back toward a more sophisticated country-rock vibe after a rock stint and I think this would be a neat cover, unlike anything else we do. I'm just worried about doing the vocals justice, though.

Anyway, I started listening to X-Country on the XM satelite today while working out. They were pushing their phone # for requests, so I called and told them that PPL and Poco and others have new CD's out and I would sooner hear some of these newer cuts than the stuff they are playing. Don't get me wrong, I do like Lucinda Williams and all that stuff and you certainly can't get it on public airwaves anymore. But satellite (on the dish or in the car) is the only way a lot of us can get decent new country and rock anymore. I specifically requested Miss You Now but afterward, I got to wondering if they would even have the CD or a digital copy of the cut yet.

Now, I know that commercial success is not the biggest thrust of this new CD effort. However, since radio airplay is pretty much out of the question, how much effort will be put toward satellite promotion through XM and Sirius? 3.5 minutes of PPL flashing on the blue screen of peples TV's has got to be a shot in the arm. Plus, you guys might not be all that interested in commercial success, but if it was to displace Toby Keith and Kenny Chesney, I for one, would be better off....

So how about it? Does a phone blitz on XM and Sirius make any sense? BTW, the phone # for XM is 866-946-THEX.
Dan
worthit

Postby worthit » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Boy do I feel stupid. I no sooner sent off the post to start this thread and then saw Tom's post further down the list about XM airplay. Please be aware that my call to XM today was before I even registered myself on this site this evening. This could only happen to me, I guess. So, as I read Tom's post, I see that a phone blitz to satellite stations would actually be counterproductive.

But I'm sure that calling the local radio stations is a waste of time, too. I assume their playlists are bought off and pretty much immovable, right? So here I am stuck with the country-crap on the radio (which I just can't handle anymore) and unable to promote other than one on one.. That just doesn't cut it these days. "I keep dialing up their number..."
Dan
worthit

Postby Tom » Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:53 pm

Hi worthit,

Thanks for signing up and posting, it's always nice to hear from new members. When you get time, bouce around the forums, there's much to look at, many terrific posts from some great fans and very nice people.

Hey don't feel bad about the idea, it's the right way of thinking!

Yes XM12 has been an incredible boost to getting to new CD out there, amazing. Back in Jan. I sent them an email, got an immediate response, sent a CD and within days it was hitting their airwaves. And they have a huge audience. Last month I heard from program director Jessie Scott, the lady who made it all happen.

She stated with new CD's, if they like them and feel it's within their format (which is truly a remakable one) they will give a few songs a shot, see if it catches with their. They get fan reuests, and keep weekly listings, charts. I honored her request not to ask fans on the site to flood them with requests, as she handles it and said it's better for the CD to grow naturally, no distortion of figures. Boy was she right. I didn't report on it until it was about #14 ,I think, in their top 55. It hit their charts immediately and was on them for 3 consecutive months bouncng into the top ten and, the week it was removed, would have been top 3, possibly 1.That's how well it did, outstanding support from fans that heard it. Jessie also gave the CD to other programmers who started playing it in addition to PPL classics like Two Lane highway, Amie, Early Morning Riser and others. After the 3 month period where the CD is "on trial" so to speak, if it does well, it's added to the recurring playlist, which is where All In Good Time was placed.

XM12 is a great thing to get into, if you haven't already.

On a much, much smaller scale, I've seen the same results:people hear it, they like it. There is an online streaming station in Grand Rapids MI, WYCE, a community type station, that I stumbled on. Exactly 2 weeks ago today, they played their first tune from the new CD. I sent an email request, they played it. I sent another email describing the success and approach XM12 had and suggested they might get similar results. They responded. As of today, they have played every single tune from the CD at least once, many several times. On their listings on their site of the top 100 most frequently played artists, which changes shift by shift, PPL has made it into the top 5.Obviously fans have called and emailed them, another fine example of "if you play it, they will come." There is no such thing as too small when it comes to getting the word out.

All the best,
Tom
Last edited by Tom on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:09 pm

There's still something about seeing PPL's name on this type of list (100 Cd's most frequently played) that gets me going. This is from the station I mentioned above, WYCE 88.1 in Grand Rapids MI. Obviously on line fans and Grand Rapids music lovers are into PPL !

Artist Album Label In Rotation Added
1. SIMON, PAUL Surprise Warner Bros / Wea • May 29
2. MOORER, ALLISON Getting Somewhere Sugarhill [Country] • May 29
3. PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE All in Good Time Drifters Church May 22
3. BLACK KEYS, THE Chulahoma Fat Possum • May 5
3. KNOPFLER, MARK AND EMMYLOU HARRIS All the Roadrunning Warner Bros / Wea • May 5
3. (various artists) 50 of the Very Best of Reggae Compendia • Jun
Last edited by Tom on Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby worthit » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:57 pm

Looks to me that Paul Simon, Mark Knopfler, Emmylou Harris and the Black Keys all have good taste in the company they keep!

I'm very excited about the new CD as I have had all the other PPL CD's for years. Ordered my copy of the new CD yesterday (and a Shirt!). Plan to wear the shirt at our gig next weekend at the Edison Tavern. I would like our band to cover "I Sure Do Miss You Now" as we need a slow, sad one in the set list. I've already figured out the song on the guitar and am finishing memorizing the lyrics. It's such a great tune, for either a band or a solo acoustic campfire-type version. I'll keep watching the web site for news about the guys making it o the Pacific NW (I see Poco is coming to Kennewick in August, a 4 hour drive) . Any chance of PPL gettin up this way?
Dan
worthit

Return to Pure Prairie League