Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Another Review of "All In Good Time"

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Tue May 30, 2006 11:01 pm

From Country Standard Time
http://www.countrystandardtime.com/cdreviewofweek.html

Pure Prairie League
All in Good Time, 2006
Drifter's Church
Craig Fuller has had a well-traveled career. He was an original member of Pure Prairie League and the foundation for their early '70s country pop hits (including the classic and still fresh "Amie"), a critical hit in his duo with Eric Kaz and orchestrated the second successful phase of Little Feat.
Fuller comes full circle with the reunification of Pure Prairie League and the release of the classically tinged and completely satisfying new CD. Fuller, original bassist Mike Reilly and early keyboardist Michael Connor (who sadly passed away from cancer two years ago) reassembled the heart of PPL, and it is that '70s country rock heart that beats so proudly throughout.
From the rock twang jangle of upbeat shakers and movers like the opener, "Gettin' Over You," "Don't Go Confessing Your Love" and "That Changes Everything Again" to gentler melancholy pop reflections like "I Sure Do Miss You Now" and "Meant to Be," PPL sounds as vital and vibrant as they did in their "Bustin' Out"/"Two Lane Highway" days. And much of the credit has to be reserved for Fuller, who co-wrote the hell out of 10 of the 12 songs.
There aren't many bands with a 30-plus year history (some of which includes the contributions of a young Vince Gill) that can recapture the heart-pounding energy and heart-rending beauty of their earliest triumphs. Pure Prairie League does it almost effortlessly here, an unlikely but potent entry for one of the year's best albums. (1018 17th Ave S, Suite 12, Nashville TN 37212, 615-320-8700)
- Brian Baker

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Tue May 30, 2006 11:21 pm

And here's more:

http://countrymusic.about.com/od/cdrevi ... odtime.htm

Pure Prairie League - All In Good Time

From Kathy Coleman
mailto:raif51@cox.net

Guide Rating - rating (5 STARS)

The Bottom Line

Pure Prairie League has been known for decades as a group with a mastery of rootsy country- rock sounds, and with this, their first new album since 1981, they prove it with a grand collection of strong, original tracks with that same rich, mellow country sound they always had. This reunion of original band member Craig Fuller with Mike Reilly, Curtis Wright, Rick Schell, and Fats Kaplin is as much a tribute to a departed friend as it is a remarkable collection of great country music.

Pros

* "Walking In My Sleep"
* "I Sure Do Miss You Now"
* "Here Tomorrow, Gone Today"

Cons

* None.

Description

* Twelve new recordings, including a live bonus track.
* Produced by Mike Reilly and Craig Fuller for Wartznall Productions.
* Released on Drifter's Church Records.

Guide Review - Pure Prairie League - All In Good Time
It's rather surprising to consider that a band with as long a history, dedicated a following, and tremendous legacy has only released ten albums - and this, their tenth, a full twenty-five years after their last, 1981's "Something in the Night." But as they say themselves, music this good can't be rushed. It comes around "all in good time."

Probably most people don't know much about PPL. While they were undoubtedly a major driving force in the mid-70's country rock movement, they never achieved the notoriety or popularity of, say, the Eagles or the Charlie Daniels Band. Their biggest major hit was, of course, "Amie;" and country fans are familiar with their name because Vince Gill was a member for a while. But when you listen to them, you can definitely hear their predominant influence on much of today's mainstream country music. For example, if you like Garth, then you're sure going to like Pure Prairie League.

Despite managing to capture their original easygoing country-rock sound, this disc isn't just retro. The familiarity of Craig Fuller's vocals are complimented by a strong backing band, including the great Fats Kaplin on pedal steel (as well as mandolin, accordion, fiddle, and, yes, the washboard), singing songs mostly co-written by Fuller himself. Powerful real country tracks like "Gettin' Over You" and "Walking In My Sleep" help make this a tremendous listen, and a cracking good disc.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Mike,

Nice to see you didn't waste time getting that Avatar going.

Thanks for the posts,Mike, dynamite stuff.Hopefully a few more will be coming. It's amazing: several months later some of these publications are now getting around to what we knew for awhile. It's like we've said all along: just listen to it once and it's all over. The CD has gotten some remarkable praise which I hope continues as the word is still spreading.

I hope things are OK with you Mike,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:38 am

Tom wrote:Hi Mike,

Nice to see you didn't waste time getting that Avatar going.

Thanks for the posts,Mike, dynamite stuff.Hopefully a few more will be coming. It's amazing: several months later some of these publications are now getting around to what we knew for awhile. It's like we've said all along: just listen to it once and it's all over. The CD has gotten some remarkable praise which I hope continues as the word is still spreading.

I hope things are OK with you Mike,

Tom

Tom:

Things are great here in southern Indiana, maybe a little busy with my son graduating from college and getting married later this month, but we are all well.

Hey it was a hard choice to decide what to put up with so many photos in the arsenal. Plus I have yet to photoshop anything to make it more interesting.

I haven't had a chnace to say this but the updated website is very nice and all involved should be quote proud as we are pleased.

My main concern is being able to catch a live show this year as nothing is too close. The CLE show is 8 hours away I can't get off work to be able to make the CHI show so I am shooting for Steelville, MO if we can work it out.

If you hear anything about IND, STL, CVG, or LOU (sorry I am an air traffic controllers so airport codes are the way we speak) adding shows let me know as the CD is great, but I need a new live show fix.

(Hint, hint, hint, Mike and Craig we would still like to get our hands on the rest of Chillicothe 2005)

Tom, I hope all is well with your family as well and I hope all Prairie Dogs have a wonderful Pure Prairie League filled summer.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby MartinD28 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:09 pm

These are good reads. Thanks for posting them.
MartinD28

Return to Pure Prairie League