New PPL

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

New PPL

Postby Pearl Snaps » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 am

Tom,
I know John David has a back problem, but I was wondering if you could tell me why George Ed Powell is not in the "new" PPL lineup. Don't get me wrong, I think this is EASILY the best version of PPL, but I was just wondering why he wasn't included.
Thanks,
Pearl Snaps
Pearl Snaps

Postby Tom » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:35 pm

Hi Pearl,

Thanks for joining and posting, great to have you on board !

Well, as far as I know, it really isn't a case of not including George. He, like other previous PPL members, left the business a long time ago and settled into their new lives and work. For the most part they returned home to family and friends. George and John have been in contact with Mike and Craig over the years and performed two shows in Chillocothe last fall which drew raves from present band members and fans. Rick and Curtis in particular have said it was the most rewarding night of their musical lives, something they will never forget. George has recorded his own work and is looking for a contract. John's back is much better, but at the time he left he was in severe pain and the constant touring was impossible. He went back to engineering and still played locally. In fact, shortly I am posting some pictures of him playing with a band called Six Shooter at Marietta College from 1977. Larry and Tim settled in years ago with their own act and have two great CD's out. And Gill made a couple of bucks in country music.

I'll never say who has the best lineup, but can understand people picking favorites. Each lineup brought something very special to the party:Call, Powell, the Goshorn's, Gill, Burr, were enormously talented musicians and all experienced major success with PPL, selling loads of records and concerts all over the country as headliners through the 70's into the 80's.

But I have stated that this lineup is as good as any I've heard, and, once again PPL has put forth another tremendous effort which is unique from previous ones and yet still manages to capture what PPL is all about. Curtis, Rick and Fats are extremely gifted and versatile musicians who have now contributed something very special to the legacy. We can only hope they go on for a few more years !

I always thought Mike and Craig would do something again, it was just a matter of time. But when it came time, they didn't hustle anyone, didn't throw something together quickly just to get the name out. They first started testing the waters around 1999-2000 with a few shows here and there. There was no shortage of guys who wanted in with PPL. But they came up with some of the finest musicians around and took their time getting it all together, turning down contracts preferring to do it themselves when they had the personal time to do so. The shows they have put on, the new CD have been top caliber, clearly the benfit of the vision Mike and Craig had once they decided to get it on. It's still in some ways hard to believe this thing has kicked in again, that PPL has this great music out and we're checking a tour schedule . It never gets old right ?

Hey Pearl, back to George, I've been waiting to spring this one, now looks good. Check out this pic from Oct. 04. I really hope the photographer who took it never looks in on this board.

That's George. It's called Daybreak Burst. Possibly for a CD if George gets it out.

Now back to the present !

I'm glad you found the site and that the new CD is out. Check the first thread for the Tour Schedule, it's more updated than the link up top, until the site gets revamped. I put in new shows as they are booked, maybe there's one near you or maybe one will be added as they come in. Check out the Synopsis Fan Reviews thread in the concert Forum for a quick run down on last years shows, nice stuff from people all over.

They've made a big dent on satellite radio already and this coming year looks to be a great one, I hope you can catch a show, you don't want to miss it !!

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Pearl Snaps » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Tom,
Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly, and thanks for the info. I wasn't asking the question to cause problems or try to upset anyone, it's just that in my opinion the best two PPL albums (yes I'm so old that I still have them on vinyl) were the 1st one (once again in my opinion the debut record, along with Poco's "Pickin Up The Pieces stand way ahead of the rest of the "Country Rock" genre for debut albums, even the hugely successful Eagles debut lags way behind these treasures.) Songs,songs,songs, no matter how one can try to mask it in massive production average is average. These two records are well written well perfomed, and well produced for the times. Once again, I feel Craig Fuller is one of our GREAT American songwriters. He stands toe to toe with Henly/Frey, John Fogarty, Jackson Browne of any other writer alive today. I just thought that George Ed was a very important part of the band, especially when working his songs in with Craig. Thanks again for your response.
Pearl Snaps
Pearl Snaps

Postby LIDog » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:51 pm

Hi Pearl,

You're too late! I AM VERY UPSET!!!!

Just kidding. George Ed is great. We all want to hear his new stuff, that's for sure. And I think you'll be glad to know that even for someone like me who didn't experience the debut album when it came out... It was around 1979, and I'd already been exposed to 8 or 9 years worth of the future of rock, southern rock, and country rock... Bustin' Out, Two Lane Highway, Skynyrd, Hotel California, The Doobie Brothers, heck, even disco and the beginnings of new wave... and I was still stunned when I heard the debut PPL record for the first time. I'd never heard anything quite like it before. The sound, the mood, the whole approach to it. It was amazing.

Speaking of amazing, I've been listening to "If the Shoe Fits", where George has some great stuff. I just listened to "Aren't You Mine" with the headphones on. "One more dime, three minutes time" the lyrics are terrific. I don't know the nature of the co-writing of this song and "Give Us a Rise" with George and Billy Hinds, but both songs have a certain joyful quality to them, despite the fact that they seem to be about generally unhappy circumstances!

The vocal harmonies on "Aren't You Mine" are incredible, and I can't even find the words to describe how cool it was having Larry Goshorn's guitar in my right ear and John Call's pedal steel in my left for that solo section. Cool piano and bass throughout. There's just a goldmine of excellent work in their history.

For me, it's as much fun as listening to Craig and JD in the solo section of "Country Song". So many creative and talented musicians, singers and writers in PPL. And as you say, they were well ahead of their time when they debuted.

And we've all been saying it, but that's why we all love "All In Good Time". It's a brand new collection of masterpieces. And yes, Craig is definitely one of the great american songwriters. (I'll add Jim Croce to the list, since we made one.) It's a rare gift to touch so many people.

One thing's for sure. We are very happy campers with this new PPL music, and so many new Craig compositions. And we're gonna get to see 'em soon! Hope you do too!

Best,
Dog
LIDog

Postby Tom » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi guys,

Well speaking of George, of course he was important, he was huge in PPL legacy. But George really didn't get his just due until after Craig left, and Two Lane Highway was released. From that point on , fans and critics realized just what a powerful songwriter George was, not to mention singer and musician ! I think George's songwriting is certainly right there with those mentioned.He was as important as anyone in PPL history, and was part of the Two Lane Highway unit which brought PPL back to life, after everyone thought they were through. You can't underestimate what that lineup did. Everyone has their favorites, no doubt yet another testament to the caliber of music that all lineups brought us. Nothing average there.

No matter who anyone prefers, nothing changes the historical facts re: PPL. Two Lane Highway was written up as " a worthy companion to the Byrds' Sweetheart Of The Rodeo and other gems on the genre". Live ! Takin' The Stage was tagged as one of the all time great Live recordings, Firin' Up as an underrated classic. Each lineup experienced huge success as national headliners. Not too many in the genre can say that.

In fact, in 1975 PPL was credited with "saving" the country rock movement as Two Lane Highway was huge and brought Bustin' Out off the RCA shelves, a few years after it's release, and onto the charts at #34, PPL's third highest charting LP behind TLH at #24 and If The Shoe Fits at #33. At that particular time period The Eagles were in the process of changing personnel and styles and by the end of 76 were no longer country rockers. Many of the other "names" of the genre were either done or struggling . PPL set the genre on fire again that year. Rolling Stone singled out Goshorn, Powell and Call for their musical abilities in a feature article in 1975. There was nothing average about PPL then, they stood apart from the genre with some huge critically acclaimed and commercially successful efforts. The fact is if they didn't succeed in 74 into 75, and get the contract back that RCA dropped, we wouldn't be here talking about it today ! PPL would never have taken off. Remember, by Feb 73, PPL was done-no airplay, no contract, nothing.It took some very special music by some talented guys in 75 and after to make it all happen for PPL.

What we are seeing and hearing today is yet another example of PPL history repeating itself: a new lineup, outstanding vocals and musicianship and superior songwriting all combining to bring us another incredible piece of work with Mike Reilly back at the helm and the return of the prodigal son Craig Fuller . It's Deja Vu all over again. All In Good Time is top flight, and deserves a special place in the hearts of all PPL fans or country rock fans for that matter. I am hoping this lineup records more new music, the sooner the better, strike while it's hot ! If you are up on PPL history, this won't surprise you. If you are a new to PPL, well ,enjoy the present and start catching up on the past !

Dog,
I've always listed Powell's Aren't You Mine among my favorites ! A great, great tune, Call and the Lizard doing their "twin leads" like no one else did, amazing stuff. Another great Powell tune from that LP (besides Lucille Crawfield) that I loved was Long Cold Winter, catchy lyrics, Call's melodic steel again a thing of beauty.

Pearl,
I also have the first two LP's on vinyl. That doesn't make us old, it makes us smart.

Have a good one,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Pearl,

Hey Pearl, back to George, I've been waiting to spring this one, now looks good. Check out this pic from Oct. 04. I really hope the photographer who took it never looks in on this board.

That's George. It's called Daybreak Burst. Possibly for a CD if George gets it out.

All the best,
Tom

Tom:

I went to her site last week and she took that one and the one of Craig off.

Sucked, luckily I had saved a copy onto my hard drive, actually the old hard drive is getting quite full of Craig and PPL shots.

Here is one for you all of CLF from about '88 right after he stopped playing with PPL and joined LF.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby AndyAnderson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:30 pm

Tom,
If you could come up with some old pics of JDC with Six Shooter back in 77 would be great , they were the hottest thig around Chillicothe back then.
AndyAnderson

Postby Tom » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:03 am

Andy,

Well I could go over to the photo Forum and change the '78 to a 77 !!

Enjoy,Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League