Your favorite PPL guitarist

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:29 pm

Tom wrote:
The talents these guys all brought to the party over the years can't be understated. A quick glance tells you it's obvious a band doesn't reach the plateaus PPL did, doesn't have a strong following over 30 years later without enormous contributions from quite a few people. But for today, my favorite will be Jeff Redefer !

All the best,
Tom

Tom:

You're killing me, I was born and raised in Pike County so I cannot say anything except my two favorite guitarists are CLF and JDC, but the fact that Jeff Redefer started off as a sound engineer in the background and spent time on the road with PPL before he played with them but when called upon he was there and that is too cool.

Just like for the Chillicothe show Jeff was there to again lend his talents, and what is fun is he too is still playing music now, playing some alternative country after playing for a while in the Athens area with a blues group called R&B Station.

So Jeff is definitely up there.

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:44 pm

Bass is guitar by the way and you can never say enough about Mike Reilly that has not already been said, for his ability to help keep the PPL dream alive so all the others could stop in off and on along the way, yet like a strong back bone he is still there almost 35 years later.

Speaking of bass players what ever happened to Jim Lanham who played in the late 60's with The Yellow Payges (the band that Teddy Rooney, Mickey Rooney's son played in) before PPL's first album in 1972?

Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Blairsboy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:00 pm

Amen, brother!!
Blairsboy

Postby LIDog » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:53 pm

I'm going to jump back on the Reilly bandwagon too, but promise me that after all this sloppy sentimental stuff, that you'll go over to the photos/memorabilia section and look at the "promos" that Tom did for us again. I'll feel much better if I know that you've looked at Reilly's mug on the front of that quaker oats thing.

I don't know if things are different today and more people are playing bass, but I can tell you that back when I was trying to put a band together around here, you were lucky if you could find someone to play bass for you, let alone someone who can play bass and sing like Mike, and then on top of that, someone who's gonna make phone calls, and knock on doors and push your band? Forget it. In other words, Mike Reilly is your dream bass player. I'd have given anything to have met a Mike Reilly to be in a band with.

It's true that people usually play "air" guitar, rather than bass, although that did change a little bit with disco and slap bass, and all that. But for most part the bass player can't go off and do whatever they want, or the song will suffer for it. The bass covers everybody's you know what.

Most of the time good bass is something that doesn't draw too much attention to itself. Great bass is that, plus when you listen more closely to what's being played, it's almost like a song by itself. And if you've heard bass like that recently, you've probably been listening to All In Good Time. The job Mike did on that was perfect. What a pleasure to hear what's really the first "Craig" PPL record where Mike supplies the bass for his great songs. I think we know the jury's verdict on how he did.

Ok, now I'm gonna go throw up. You go look at the quaker oats picture.

Dog
LIDog

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:33 pm

LIDog wrote:
I don't know if things are different today and more people are playing bass, but I can tell you that back when I was trying to put a band together around here, you were lucky if you could find someone to play bass for you, let alone someone who can play bass and sing like Mike, and then on top of that, someone who's gonna make phone calls, and knock on doors and push your band? Forget it. In other words, Mike Reilly is your dream bass player. I'd have given anything to have met a Mike Reilly to be in a band with.

Ok, now I'm gonna go throw up. You go look at the quaker oats picture.

Dog

Dog:

Boy do I know that feeling, back in the 70's I tried to get a band started and you could not find a bass player, I could get drummers and guitarists and even many people who "thought" they could sing but bass players, forget about it! Hell I remember a party we played at with 2 drummers and a 4 guitarists out at Dixon's farm in Pike County, but we did it without a bass player.

I even went so far as to talking a guy into getting his parents to buy him a bass for Christmas so we could teach him to play so we would have one.

Another musical flashback on the PPL Forum Webboard.

Mike

PS No doubt about it "oats boys" is special and PPL is lucky to have him, but I never said he was "perty"!
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:08 am

Vice Admiral Swiss Navy wrote:
Tom wrote:

Tom:

You're killing me, I was born and raised in Pike County so I cannot say anything except my two favorite guitarists are CLF and JDC, but the fact that Jeff Redefer started off as a sound engineer in the background and spent time on the road with PPL before he played with them but when called upon he was there and that is too cool.

Just like for the Chillicothe show Jeff was there to again lend his talents, and what is fun is he too is still playing music now, playing some alternative country after playing for a while in the Athens area with a blues group called R&B Station.

So Jeff is definitely up there.

Mike

HI Mike,

I throw one in every now and then and wait to see if it's caught !

Jeff's story is truly unique and it will be part of something which will be on the site at a future date. A real nice guy, I'm happy to say The Professor is doing very well. Talk about going back in time, the poor guy was put back to work at Chiilicothe ! Old habits die hard. His name is listed in the new CD credits for the live track from Chillicothe.

Have a good one,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Ben Grimm » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:52 pm

My favorite guitarist would have to be Vince Gill & Larry Goshorn. On any given night, these two players always did it for me. Two wonderful talents!

But let's not forget JD Call or Larry's brother Tim. They also gave some tremendous guitar muscle to the band.
I Don't Think So!
Ben Grimm

Postby billyJvoltare » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:02 pm

Ben Grimm wrote:My favorite guitarist would have to be Vince Gill & Larry Goshorn.

I'd have to go with Vince Gill too, though by no means does that diminish anyone else in any way; ALL were and are superb. Gill is more often thought of as a Nashville idol than a guitar virtuoso these days, I guess, but the truth is he is a supremely talented lead guitarist and put on a whale of show for PPL in the few years he was with them. I also thought he had great stage presence.
Nice to see his star rise so high, but I have to say, with all his country pop star success, none of his aired songs ever tempted me to go out and purchase one of his solo albums. On the other hand, I've always looked out for solo or other projects by the likes of Fuller, Goshorns, etc. It was mentioned on here that Powell had a solo project which would hopefully find its way into the market soon...I say, just tell me where to send my money. I'm really looking forward to that one.
billyJvoltare

Postby jmhall » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:16 am

You know it's a good topic when you get a couple of pages of responses. PPL certainly is a great band for guitarists. Vince Gill is a monstor guitar player. Yet there is a certain originality to Craig Fuller's lead riffs that I really like. While a guy like Vince can sure tear up a lead break, Craig's playing seems more artful to me. Listening to many different guitarists, you can sometimes predict where they are going with their playing. Craig's leads usually survpised me. I find that element of his playing preferable.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby LIDog » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:23 am

Billy's description also matches how I feel about Vince's fame too. There could be all kinds of great stuff on his country records that I've never heard because the 'hits' didn't get my interest up in the same way as his PPL stuff. I'm just now thinking about that guitar solo he cranks out on "I'll Be Damned". It goes well with the title of the song, because "Damn!" He really does share that problem with Craig where the singing/writing shines so bright that the great musicianship is sometimes overlooked.

I'm also on board about George Ed's new music. I'm dying to hear what he's writing today.

Actually, I'd like to see George and the Goshorns start their own band (along with any other PPL alumni who want to join), and they could call themselves: Pure Prairie Leftovers! Well, maybe not.

But they can go on tour too, and every once in a while, the two bands could do a double bill, and they could close with an all out super Pure Prairie jam at the end!

Was that the alarm clock I just heard going off? No, sorry, it was just the dinner bell here at the insane asylum. Nevermind...
LIDog

Previous

Return to Pure Prairie League