Craig's catalogue : List your picks

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Craig's catalogue : List your picks

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:27 pm

Let's have a look at what Craig tunes Craig wrote or sang that people have a special thing for. Not just PPL, but American Flyer, Fuller-Kaz and Feat. I'll just rattle of a few non-PPL ones that were incredible, then come back for more.

Woman In Your Heart AF
Feel That Way Again Fuller-Kaz
Voices In The Wind Feat

Plenty more-- that was off the top of my head but those are just a few I never get enough of, classic Craig.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jmhall » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm

"Once Clear Moment" with Little Feat. Cool song. I think he cowrote it. Sure sounds like pure Craig.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby jmhall » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 am

Sorry about the above misquote. Make that "One Clear Moment."
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby Tom » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:32 pm

Nice to hear from you again "Doc".

Check out the tour schedule and get your cooler(and plenty of ice) ready, PPL will be at Gruene Hall again. I guess here is still no air conditioning there. Maybe it will only be in the upper 90's.

One Clear Moment is a real fine choice.

I'm going to throw in another non-PPL one that might not get picked a lot. Teenage Warriors w/Feat. He really sang his butt off in that especially live, he just boomed it out. Great stuff.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby jmhall » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:28 am

Gruene Hall again? I'll be there. It's a great venue. Albeit a little on the warm side. Thanks for making my day.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby Rip Lee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:29 am

Just to add to the American Flyer list - remember "Annabella"?
Rip Lee

Postby LIDog » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:53 am

That's funny, I wonder if he noticed that there was an Annabella restaurant across the street from the Downtown in Farmingdale where they played last summer!

I think I'll choose "Call Me Tell Me". I always loved that song.

LIDog

early signature song

Postby Rip Lee » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 am

WHen PPL was playing in Cincinnati at New Dilly's, one of their non-PPL signature songs was "Break My Mind" by John D. Loudermilk. John's steel just wailed on it. Maybe it's time for a redo???
Rip Lee

Postby Tom » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:10 am

Rip Lee wrote:Just to add to the American Flyer list - remember "Annabella"?

Sure I remember that one. I was lucky enough to see Craig do that one live, along with many other classics with the Fuller-Kaz band. And what an incredible time it was as none other than John Call toured with him. It was the first time they had played together since their PPL days and the Fuller-Call combo was outrageous. You could see what a great time they were having. Craig brought John on board once the tour was booked and John, who had left PPL with severe back problems, was doing much better , had been taking it easy, no touring for over a year, and gave the tour scene one last shot. And it sure was a great one ! Those two guys had the magic going, a thrill to say the least. It was so terrific to see the old friends back together.

The venue they played at was one PPL frequented. There was a wall in the back where all the bands signed their names. They found where PPL was on the wall and signed the Fuller-Kaz band next to it, knowing their PPL buddies would probably see it some time. They clearly enjoyed their friendship as well as a tremendous respect for each other's talents.

A great night, one of the best for sure.

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:01 am

LIDog wrote:That's funny, I wonder if he noticed that there was an Annabella restaurant across the street from the Downtown in Farmingdale where they played last summer!

I think I'll choose "Call Me Tell Me". I always loved that song.

Just curious, but which recorded version of "Call Me, Tell Me" do you like best? The "Bustin' Out" version, or the American Flyer version, or maybe even the earliest recording on the J.D. Blackfoot album? I've never heard the Blackfoot version, altho I had the opportunity to buy the album about 25 or so years ago at a hole in the wall shop called Roberts and Co. on the south side of Columbus back in either 1980 or 1981. This place was chock full of old, used records and tapes, and some still sealed items. I found the Blackfoot album, it was in mint condition, had no price sticker on it, so I took it up front and asked the old fellow who ran the place (and maybe owned it, I don't know) how much, and he replied "Fifteen dollars". To which I replied "I can buy a new album for less than that" in a futile attempt to get him to lower the price. I only had a twenty on me, and I needed gas money to get home to Waverly. He responded "That's a collector's item - I probably oughta ask seventy
five dollars for it!". Well, he was probably right to ask $15 for it, but everything to him was a collector's item, and I thought I'd come back and get it another day and of course it was gone the next time I went back and yada, yada, blah, blah, I'm still kicking myself in the nads 25 years later. Well, watcha gonna do? I blew it, and I knew it, and i wanna redo it!

Anyway, Craig must have thought a lot of that song to have recorded it three different times with three different bands in a space of five or six years or so. Wonder who he may have wrote it about or to?
Doug

Postby LIDog » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:01 am

[quote="Doug"]
Just curious, but which recorded version of "Call Me, Tell Me" do you like best? [/quote]

I was afraid someone was going to ask me that!... I cannot tell a lie. I've only heard the Bustin' Out version. AF is definitely on my list of things to get, as I've been slowly replenishing my PPL collection.

It's been a lot of fun doing that, like revisiting old friends. Most recently, I picked up the "greatest hits" to get "She Darked The Sun". It's a cool song. I don't know what prompted the decision to omit it from the first record, but while listening to it, all I could think of was how much I would have liked that song if I had heard it back when I was a kid collecting the records. Go figure.

"Call Me Tell Me" has a terrific melody and a tremendous spirit to it. I'm very curious to hear the other versions. But the "Bustin' Out" one is a great one, that's for sure. The acoustic guitar strumming is very memorable (not to mention a lot of fun to try and play along with!) It drives the song forward while Craig's voice soars through it. It's very inspiring, a great album closer, and I think, a really underated composition.

Who knows? Maybe he'll do a 4th version one day!
LIDog

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:37 am

Doug,

Nice to see you back. I hope that extension you were building to put up all of us prairiedogs the next time there is a reunion in Ohio is coming along OK. I think you may be thinking of another Craig song though in regards to the JD Blackfoot LP, The Ultimate Prophecy. On that one Craig did 5 tunes, the first side of the LP. One of them was Angel, which , as we know, appeared on Bustin' Out. The others were We Can Try, Good Day Extending Company, I've Never Seen You and One Time Woman. That LP is still around on the internet sometimes at a good price. In between his visions, singing around the campfire and fighting the good fight, JD Blackfoot at one point re-released it I believe. He also released another CD last year that had John Call on it.

Dog, the AF version of Call Me Tell Me is markedly different. Specifically, the driving acoustic guitar approach you referred to is replaced by George Martin's production. It's still a great tune, just a different animal. I was surprised when I first saw it on the AF LP. But after hearing the whole LP and how George Martin went about things, well then the song seemed to fit in quite easily with the LP. It really shows how a song can take on a whole new attitude depending on who is doing the producing , or what approach you may wish to take . On the other hand, the Angel that appeared on on JD Blackfoot's LP and the one that was on Bustin' Out are quite similar, a few things different but no drastic changes in style or from a production point of view.

All the best,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby billyJvoltare » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 pm

I like 'Daily Grind' as the best from the Feat's 'Mambo' album, and from Let It Roll, my favorites are Hate to Lose Your Lovin', Changing Luck, and of course, Voices on the Wind.
Fallin/Amie is his best known PPL song and rightly so...it'll never grow old. Boulder Skies is almost as great.
From the newest, my favorite Craig tune is Sure Do Miss You Now.
billyJvoltare

Re: early signature song

Postby Tom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:25 pm

Rip Lee wrote:WHen PPL was playing in Cincinnati at New Dilly's, one of their non-PPL signature songs was "Break My Mind" by John D. Loudermilk. John's steel just wailed on it. Maybe it's time for a redo???

Don't know that one Rip. But they had a tune called Kentucky Good Girl that they recorded during the first LP which never hit the LP. It's still sitting in the bins at RCA. I'd love to rob that place.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:30 pm

billyJvoltare wrote:I like 'Daily Grind' as the best from the Feat's 'Mambo' album, and from Let It Roll, my favorites are Hate to Lose Your Lovin', Changing Luck, and of course, Voices on the Wind.
Fallin/Amie is his best known PPL song and rightly so...it'll never grow old. Boulder Skies is almost as great.
From the newest, my favorite Craig tune is Sure Do Miss You Now.

Hi Billy,

My pick for today is Nothing Like The lonely, the more I hear it the more I love Craig's voice in it, it has power thing going on a bit. Real soulful start.
Hey , getting Curtis was a major hit ! What an all around talent, outstanding . I'll have more on Curtis' thoughts re: joining PPL when the site gets overhauled but for now I'll say he's probably more excited about being in PPL than any fan is, and that's saying something. He's the real deal alright.

All the best,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League