New CD All In Good Time: Favorite Songs

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

New CD All In Good Time: Favorite Songs

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:00 am

Does anybody have any particular favorites ? Well, if you're like me(hopefully not for your sake) they change frequently. I've had this CD in the player since just before Christmas and I really have a difficult time saying I like one more than another !

But to get things rolling I'll list three tunes right now, in no particular order. Of course, it's subject to change in the next hour or two. Feel free to list whatever song or songs strike you as a particular standout.

Don't Go Confessing Your Love
That Changes Everything
One Of Those Things

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Favorite Songs

Postby Plum Rose » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:24 pm

Hello Tom,
Like you said, The favorite songs change from day to day. My daughter's (she's 16) favorite is That Changes Everything Again--She keeps stealing the CD!!!
My favorite, if I must name 3 are: There's Nothin' Like The Lonely, That Changes Everything Again, and The Cost of Doin' Business. I do miss the "Rock" part of the Country Rock on this CD, which Reilly has a big part in. Michael seems to add the fun songs which we all love. He has gracefully taken a back seat on this CD. Hopefully, we will "hear" more of Michael's Rock n' Roll on the next CD. And I know my son would appreciate that--He is 19 and his comment on the CD was, "Yes, I really liked it, but some of the songs were just a little bit too Country for me!" He does not take after his mama in that respect. I am a "country girl" at heart.
I hope all is well with you and your family, Tom.
Plum Rose
Plum Rose

Postby LIDog » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:47 am

They sure rocked when I saw them in concert last summer, and Mike was great.

It's true that it's hard to cover every base on one cd when you're as diverse in musical styles as PPL is, but as always, the band members willingness to make sacrifices (especially Mike over the years) for the project at hand has resulted in some great recordings. This time around it's a Craig Fuller buffet, and the whole band did a terrific job with it. Although the cd may be called "All In Good Time", I'll always consider it "Time Well Spent".

As for the favorites, I certainly can't disagree with any of the choices mentioned. I'm going to go against the grain and choose "Meant To Be" because it's a cool little song that sets up the great "That Changes Everything Again" perfectly (I'm not surprised that the young people like it) and so it's an unsung hero on the cd.

Twelve great songs. Ya gotta love it.
LIDog

My particular favorites.

Postby jaybuzz » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:11 pm

My favorites are "I Sure Do Miss You Now" and "The Cost Of Doing Business"

"I Sure Do Miss You Now" for the classic, signature harmonies. A gorgeous song.

and

"The Cost Of Doing Business" is a beautiful song with a powerful message that really rings true. I suspect there's a lot of reality in it in what Craig has experienced in the current music industry. Is there any doubt it's about Nashville?
jaybuzz

Re: New CD All In Good Time: Favorite Songs

Postby RollAlong » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:35 pm

Tom wrote:
Don't Go Confessing Your Love
That Changes Everything
One Of Those Things

Take care,
Tom

All good songs Tom, but I'll put a vote in for "Walking in my sleep". I love the steel guitar and the Amie-ish guitar pickin'.

(another Tom who still remembers the Poe Ditch Festival in 1975 - BGSU - Roll Along...)
RollAlong

Postby schmoopy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:19 pm

This is one incredible CD. The return of PPL couldn't be better, and no one should really be too surprised.

For the moment , I'll go with Cajun Girl and Gettin' Over You. I also love the singing of Curtis Wright on his two songs. It's extremely difficult to single out a song or two. I'm listenieng to the CD right now and my picks may change before I'm done typing.
schmoopy

Postby Tom » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:32 am

Well it's obvious the CD is loaded and has something for everyone in classic PPL style.I know LJDJ posted he liked the song sung by Curtis as his favorite, Here Tomorrow, Gone Today on the CD review thread awhile back. In only a few posts every song on the CD is mentioned, a sure sign it's a winner that carries on in the proud PPL tradition.

It's unique in it's own way, yet there are tunes which you can easily see fitting in at various time frames in PPL's history. It's nice to know the younger crowd picks up on it when they hear it, I see that right here in my house.

As I mentioned on another thread, on One Of Those Things I particularly like the style of the song, how basically it's just Craig singing initially with a few chords, leading to a rousing chorus. It's an approach reminiscent of some of his earlier work like Let Me Down Easy or Woman In Your Mind with American Flyer and maybe a few others.

Thanks for the kind words Plum, most appreciated.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby billyJvoltare » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:27 pm

My favorites on the disc are I Sure Do Miss You Now, Here Tomorrow Gone Today, Cajun Girl, and If You Could Say What I'm Thinking.

Craig is one of my musical heroes and always has been, but Curtis Wright is also a GREAT lead singer.

As I've said before, I don't know of a band with more talent
billyJvoltare

Postby LIDog » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:49 am

I bought a copy for my brother, and here's his reaction:

"I also liked the PPL cd, particularly “Getting Over Youâ€Â
LIDog

Postby AndyAnderson » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:15 pm

My favorite is" If You Could Say What Im Thinking" because it was recorded at the Chillicothe show with all the PPL family, love the live stuff!!, I Sure Do Miss You Now runs a close second.Looking forward to PPL coming to FL.
AndyAnderson

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:49 pm

That live cut certainly was a bonus. You know, the CD was delayed slightly a few times and that cut was one of the reasons. There's something to be said for doing it your own way and on your own terms ! In the end, we benefit.

My wife and daughter immediately loved Cajun Girl and a few others.They knew all about Craig, but also now love Curtis' voice. They too, keep asking to play this or that over now as they have now heard the CD so many times. Granted, the poor things have not been able to get anything else in the car player (except at Christmas: in a moment of weakness and holiday spirit I put on a Christmas CD, salvaged by Little Augie Rios' Donde Esta Santa Claus).

I told them the sooner they know all the lyrics to all the tunes, the better the chance they have of putting something different on. I test them on a regular basis, and actually they are doing quite well, I'm very impressed. But just yesterday one of them flubbed on Nothin' Like The Lonely. "Sorry gang, let's try that one more time."

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:19 pm

By the way, we mentioned many things about this CD.

Here's one more: anybody realize that another Fuller appears on it ?

Craig's son Patrick does some nice solo work on the first cut Gettin' Over You !! Nice job Patrick.
All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

favorite songs

Postby Rip Lee » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:00 pm

I love "The Cost of Doing Business" - keep getting this visual that it should be a opening soundtrack for a movie about the life of a songwriter in Nashville (or whereever)..what do you think??
Rip Lee

Re: favorite songs

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:57 pm

Rip Lee wrote:I love "The Cost of Doing Business" - keep getting this visual that it should be a opening soundtrack for a movie about the life of a songwriter in Nashville (or whereever)..what do you think??

Well I could easily see it in a movie soundtrack, then again, I've felt many PPL songs could fit in movies, or commercials. I'm still waiting on a car commercial for Two Lane Highway, or a Beer one featuring guys heading out for cases of Bud, with "Runner" playing in the background ( "You've made this run sometime before...) and on and on...

As for this tune, hey it's as serious as a heart attack, a very honest and open look at a tough business. Terrific stuff. Now, as for the movie, well opening or closing, hey it works. I agree Rip ! Let's just hope the guy in the movie isn't too despondent and doesn't listen to it while driving over a bridge. He should wait until he gets home, and at least leave a note, show some common courtesy.

Interesting note about this one. Incredibly, Craig and Curtis came up with this tune the very first time they met ! Curtis met Craig in a studio, they sat and wrote a few tunes together , and this was one of them.

I noted on here that the CD release date changed a few times, and I've also mentioned how PPL did not go forward until they were 100% satisfied with the final product. This particular tune is another reason, yet another fine example of the attitude and determination these guys put into the project.

It was also worked over a few times until the band settled in on the version on the CD. It had been done with a completely different arrangement, almost, for comparison's sake, like Craig's Call, Me Tell Me on Bustin' Out vs his American Flyer version. At any rate, Craig felt much better about the version we have now. I'll say this for him, his instincts are always on the money, as the song displays the emotions and vocals we have come to expect from him. Vintage PPL, ala Fuller. And to think Curtis and Craig, who have both earned such stellar reps in the business came up with this at a chance meeting ! Well, that's PPL history for you.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Rip Lee » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:11 am

Thanks for the info - gives it even more meaning. I think this song really has a universal appeal - the "business" can be ANY business - when reality comes up and smacks you in the face and then you settle down and figure out how to fit in with YOUR personality and the way YOU want to see things done.

Job well done Craig and Curtis - Life can be a B_____ but then you find your nitch and try to do it without compromising your ethics.
Rip Lee

Next

Return to Pure Prairie League