John David Call

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

John David Call

Postby Butch » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:38 pm

For some 25 or more years I have wanted to meet John David Call. He to me was the soul insperation for me to play steel guitar. I didnt listen to
Buddy Emmons or Hal Ruggs or any of the other steel players. I listened to Mr. John David Call. He did things with a steel guitar that NO ONE else did.
I had the chance to see him play only once, but I had All the vinyl. He has the ability to tear open your heart and soul, with his soaring leads, then in an instant bring you to tears with the most amazing beautiful licks i have ever heard.

Well i posted on many sites if anyone knew his where abouts i would love to talk to him. I would love to shake his hand and give him an old prairie dog hug.

Well to the point of this post. Mr. John David Call contacted me. Yes he called me the other day and said he had seen my postes.

This is ONE PRINCE of a man. We talked for awhile and he was so nice approachable. Not at all like some stars.

Well I just wanted to let the people know he is very well. His back is ok as of right now.

I know most musicians have a person or group they love and are there insperation. John David Call is and always will be mine.

I am very sad that the pedal steel population havent given him his just dues.

If you can get access to the lp's or cd's, check out the lead in Sisters Keeper, and Harvest..

Well he made this old 54 year old prairie dog a very happy guy. I used to be a DJ on a country station, I had the honor to meet lots of "Stars" from Willie Nelson to Merle Haggard and on. But this was the most amazing and forever I will remember the conversation wilth my idol, John David Call.

I do hope to meet him some time, but for now.....God Bless you John

Just an old Prairie Dog
Butch Bennett
Butch

Postby Zero Zagnut » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:45 pm

Butch, what an excellent post and good story to hear. I've always heard John David was a fine, upstanding fella. It's a shame there aren't more like him in this ol' world. He's a heck of a steel player, too. By the way, in your years in country radio did you ever get into the steel playing of Lloyd Green or John Hughey? They are both fantastic and legends of the steel. John Hughey's "crying" steel parts on the old Conway Twitty tune "Lost In The Feeling" are incredible.
Zero Zagnut

Postby jmhall » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:23 pm

As a fellow steeler, I too admire JD Call. He has been an inspiration to me over the years. I can attest that he is held in high regard by some talented pickers on the Steel Guitar Forum.
Jim Hall
jmhall

Postby jpmagg3 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:21 am

jmhall wrote:As a fellow steeler, I too admire JD Call. He has been an inspiration to me over the years. I can attest that he is held in high regard by some talented pickers on the Steel Guitar Forum.

well said - I'm an avid picker but no pro as a steeler. The majority of them, however at the PSG Forum are and I suspect jmhall is one of them. I too was pleased that they respect his work as much as I always have...maybe that gives me a pro opinion, at least :wink:. In several threads in the archives and many posts, I've read (paraphrased) "I've always admired John Call's steel work and would love to hear him playing again"....now we can! Taking nothing away from Fats' fantastic work - I hope to see him live on the upcoming tour - seeing and hearing JD playing last October made my decade in live music.

jpmagg3
jpmagg3

Return to Pure Prairie League