Artwork in CD jacket?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Artwork in CD jacket?

Postby cgiffuni » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:55 pm

I would love to buy a print of the bathtub cowboy!! Anyone know how to?

Thanks!!! The new CD is outstanding!!!!
cgiffuni

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi cg,

Thanks for joining the board and jumping right in!

It's not for sale as far as I know. What you might try is looking in the Photo Forum section, where it's posted. Click on it for a larger version. then downlaod it. Then if you have the capabilty , enalrge it, print a nice glossy of it. If you don't , email it to someone you know who might be able to do it. I've gotten some nice prints that way. It's worth a shot. Old Luke still has the drawing power !

Take care,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

PPL artwork - Luke in the Tub

Postby prairiedog » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm

Fellow Prairiedogs;
We're currently working on having the Luke in the Tub illustration made into a purchaseable print, soon to be available on the website. We'll keep you posted. Also, we'll be making autographed prints available, proceeds of which will go to the charities we support. Watch the website for info.
Thanx!!
Mike Reilly
prairiedog

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:21 pm

You see ? Just like I told you cgiffuni, they are working on making it into a print. Nice scoop there, Spike !
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:03 am

I had contact with the incredible artist who actually did the Luke In The Tub artwork, a real nice guy by the name of Bill Brown.

It's really amazing. We see the finished product, the CD case, artwork and everything that goes into the packaging of the CD. Obviously, there is a tremendous effort made to make this happen starting with the birth of the idea right down to the very last detail before those involved look at it and finally say " OK, that's it, we're done." And reaching that point where you can let go is a long journey.

Bill was more than kind in sharing a few fascinating details of how the illustrations and concept of the CD came about. I know you'll enjoy them.

"I was fortunate to be asked to do the illustrations for "All In Good Time"

I first met with Mike Reilly in April, '05 - We met for lunch just south of Nashville, TN, and he took out of his pocket an old pocketwatch, and told me his idea for Luke's hand holding this watch, with his reflection in the cover, and the relevance of the time, 11:37.

He and I worked on album titles (the title "All In Good Time" hadn't been born until later) sketches, rough comps, proofs, for the next several months - In fact we were still tweaking and making changes until the day it hit the press in December.

It was a lot of research, a lot of sketches, but it was an absolute blast !

As for the naming of the record, I recall Mike (who had the watch in hand concept in his mind for I don't know how long - long before we met) told me as we were finishing up lunch, that he didn't have the name yet, but it would come to him - An early working title was "It's About Time" (a little on the negative side) There are some early sketches in the file with this title - completely different background than the white one we went with - Then one day in the summer Mike called me and said he had it, and told me it was "All In Good Time"

You may have noticed that the white background, black logo at the top, and the complete color scheme on the cover, down to the fleshtones are a tip of the hat to the "Bustin' Out" cover.

I'll be submitting poster ideas soon, and hopefully we will get them available."

Best regards,

Bill Brown

Bill, thanks so much for sharing that with us, and again, congratulations on a superb effort. You are part of a long standing proud tradition in Pure Prairie League, going all the way back to Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post cover on August 13, 1927 featuring our favorite cowboy- Luke!

We eagerly await future work from you, stay in touch.

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:45 pm

Tom wrote:I had contact with the incredible artist who actually did the Luke In The Tub artwork, a real nice guy by the name of Bill Brown.

Bill, thanks so much for sharing that with us, and again, congratulations on a superb effort. You are part of a long standing proud tradition in Pure Prairie League, going all the way back to Norman Rockwell's Saturday Evening Post cover on August 13, 1927 featuring our favorite cowboy- Luke!

We eagerly await future work from you, stay in touch.

Tom

Here is a couple of looks at the originals for the 1972 Album from the Saturday Evening Post if anyone is interested.

Free Image Hosting [xs.to]
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Mike,

I have a puzzle of that cover hanging on the wall behind me. Around 1976 I bought several, gave then as gifts to fellow prairiedogs. Of course, I didn't keep one for myself. My friend had it for about 20 years, framed, still mint. He married and his wife felt it no longer added to the decor of the room. Amazing right ? How could this not make any room a warmer place to be ? Although we disagreed, it worked out well for me as I became the new owner of it. It's about 30 years now this thing is still hanging on a wall and it still looks great. Not bad for a few bucks !
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:53 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Mike,

I have a puzzle of that cover hanging on the wall behind me. Around 1976 I bought several, gave then as gifts to fellow prairiedogs. Of course, I didn't keep one for myself. My friend had it for about 20 years, framed, still mint. He married and his wife felt it no longer added to the decor of the room. Amazing right ? How could this not make any room a warmer place to be ? Although we disagreed, it worked out well for me as I became the new owner of it. It's about 30 years now this thing is still hanging on a wall and it still looks great. Not bad for a few bucks !

Tom:

If any of your other friends you gave these to ever decide they wish to rid themselves of their copy let me know and I would be quite interested in one of these puzzled looks so to speak.

Mike

PS I bet it does look great!
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Return to Pure Prairie League