Goshorn Brothers on Video

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Goshorn Brothers on Video

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:58 pm

I recently found a site called The Saturday Night Guitar Pull that has videos of a number of songs that you can watch (you can download them too if you know how) featuring Larry and Tim Goshorn that I thought I would tell everyone about.

Here is the link:

http://www.thesaturdaynightguitarpull.com/cincy/

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Tim plays a song called "Trouble And Strife" and Larry plays a rendition of "Kentucky Moonshine".

They also play "Destined To Be A Four-Lane" with Rick "Bam" Powell, and "Home" with Rick Marksbury.

Tim plays "Don't Wait" with Kelly Red, and "Fishin " with Marcos Sastre.

They also have some musicians from Columbus and Nashville that you can listen to as well if you change to those cities on the site.

Enjoy,
Mike
Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby MartinD28 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:59 pm

Great stuff...thanks for the link. I especially like the stuff with Tim Goshorn - really enjoyed the period he fronted the band. I always thought he had quite a gift for writing neat songs with interesting chord structures. I know others will disagree, but I preferred the time when the Goshorns were fronting the band as opposed to Vince. Don't get me wrong, Vince was powerful and loaded with talent. However I just prefer the style the Goshorns brought to the band. With that said, Craig Fuller is one of my all time favorite writers / musicians. Back in the early days and once again he is in a league of his own. Today's lineup is wonderful.

One thing that has been consistent throughout the many years and players in PPL - all have been great!
MartinD28

Postby billyJvoltare » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:08 pm

MartinD28 wrote:Great stuff...thanks for the link. I especially like the stuff with Tim Goshorn - really enjoyed the period he fronted the band. I always thought he had quite a gift for writing neat songs with interesting chord structures. I know others will disagree, but I preferred the time when the Goshorns were fronting the band as opposed to Vince. Don't get me wrong, Vince was powerful and loaded with talent. However I just prefer the style the Goshorns brought to the band. With that said, Craig Fuller is one of my all time favorite writers / musicians. Back in the early days and once again he is in a league of his own. Today's lineup is wonderful.

One thing that has been consistent throughout the many years and players in PPL - all have been great!

I'm with you on the Goshorns period in the band...I'm sure it was Larry fronting the band most of the seventies...someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Tim came in much later...., edging out Vince Gill, and about today's lineup...I can't think of a band with more talent in singing, playing, and writing, in existence today.
billyJvoltare

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:40 pm

Yes, that's a great site, many terrific musicians on it. In addition to Larry, Tim and the two Ricks, othre long time mebers of the Goshorn Bros. band also appear: bassist Adam Scovanner plays with Kelly Red and keyboard man Steve Schmidt appears with Brian Lovely. Trouble and Strife, by the way, is on their last CD, Life.

I don't pick and choose about lineups, for me, each brought something very special to the table, on the LP's as well as in concert.
Billy , yes, Tim came in much later than Larry, he came on board when John Call left. He then left w/Larry, but returned in the early 80's after Gill and did Mementos in '87 w/ PPL.

As for who was fronting PPL , well, I never looked at it that way. When Craig left, Mike took over front man duties as far as being the leader of the band and handling front man duties at concerts and also much of their musical direction not to mention the dirty work: records execs, management etc. No secret there !! Musically, though, I think it was always somewhat unfair when back in the early 70's media reports stated that Larry "replaced" Craig. John returned, Mike was officially now a member, and what really transpired was they became more of a band. All the guys played equally huge roles in developing their sound, their new tunes, their LP's.George emerged as an enormously gifted singer/ songwriter , he always was but then he had the chance to show it. This is where the term "fronted" can be misleading: no one seems to say the time George "fronted" the band ! No one ever even speaks or thinks in those terms. Yet as everyone knows, he was as much a part in PPL's success as anyone, certainly a guy who made the machine go ! In other words, after Craig departed, to me, PPL was a band that relied heavily on all members , not just one guy to handle the bulk of the singing/songwriting. It's what made them great, it's what brought them such an incredible variety of music.

Station break:

" Have you noticed your computer starting to drag a bit ? Is your response time significantly slower ? You are not alone, we assure you. Unfortunately, there is no miracle software product, no DSL service that can cure this so don't be deceived by misleading ads. It's apparently the direct result of a new CD released by Pure Prairie League called All In Good Time which is available only on their website. This sudden, massive increase of internet customers all logging on to get this CD is expected to last for some time, so be patient, it's well worth the wait. After all we waited over 20 years for this CD, you can wait a few extra minutes."

If you look at Takin' The Stage, you'll see that Mike, Larry and George all sing roughly the same amount of tunes, an indication that as far as the idea of fronting goes,well that's really not a true indication of how PPL worked, it was more of a term used in articles etc starting when Larry joined.

The period frequently referred to as the Goshorn Bros years was a very brief one as they recorded only one LP, Just Fly, which when you look the years touring and the PPL LP catalogue is relatively brief, but I enjoyed it immensly, some great shows. Tim made some earlier contributions to PPL long before joining, writing PPL classics Sun Shone Lightly amd All The Lonesome Cowboys.

During " the Gill years", Vince came about as close as anyone when thinking in terms of fronting the band, surging as a songwriter and lead singer. Mike wisely let " The Kid" loose, screaming to the crowd etc and putting on some of the greatest shows you could hope to see. Mike continued handling many vocals during this time, sharing that with Gill, never letting PPL classics Fade Away(ouch).

Have a good one gang,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:05 pm

No "ouch" there Tom, "Fade Away" is worth mentioning under any circumstance, an awesome tune. I recall the version on "Takin' the Stage" being really great too. Uh oh, another plug for Takin' the Stage! And sung if I'm not mistaken, by FRONT MAN Mike Reilly!

As usual, your descriptions are impeccable. It's always a bummer when somewhere along the line someone takes liberties in assessing a situation and everybody starts repeating it. The sharing of the spotlight was one of the things I enjoyed most about that incredible lineup. And John Call played a mean banjo, too. Just wanted to mention that.

PPL sure has been home to an amazing variety of talented singer-songwriters and musicians. Apples and oranges. Everybody has their personal favorites. It's a good thing.

The All in Good Time lineup (hmmm... do you think maybe they'll start referring to it as the All in Good Time years?) is a great one, and yet they're a very different animal from any of the other lineups. They definitely seem like a real band, they seem to just enjoy each others' company and what they're doing. You can hear it in the music. And given the opportunity to really contribute and create, as they've done on the new cd, Curtis, Fats and Rick really get to let their own talents and personalities come through. Everything that Fats has added has been super. He's got a very subtle touch and adds the perfect flavor to each song. I thought his pedal steel solo on "One of Those Things" was beautiful. In fact, to tell you the truth, when I was doing the chord charts for it, I was rewinding to listen to something else, and I kept getting drawn in to his solo again. The sound of final note of the solo is captivating. This is good music. Everybody is playing and singing something that is completely for the benefit of the song and the group. Everything is appropriate, creative, soulful... Very inspiring. I call it Beatle music (that's the biggest compliment to me). Every song is like a painting that tells a story, and it's just a little old band.
LIDog

Return to Pure Prairie League