Country Rock.....A great comeback

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Country Rock.....A great comeback

Postby Proud1 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:47 am

So what do you think of the current state of country rock, is it gaining in popularity again. Certainly in the last couple of years i've picked up on some great new bands and artists, in the Americana, Country Rock and Roots music genre,s. And just around xmas alone i recieved three great new country rock albums. The first just before xmas was the debut album "Forever Road" from Canadian country rockers Desert Heat, who are described as having similarities to the Eagles, Poco, the Outlaws and PPL, if you go to their website you can read the reviews.
After xmas of course i recieved the excellent new PPL album, which i think is right up there with their best. Just two days before that i recieved the new album from Remedy Motel, called "My Favorite Record, and i think it's remarkable how well these two albums go together. Mica Johnson is one of the finest new vocalists i've heard in a while, and he reminds me a little at times of Craig Fuller. Indeed some of the tunes on here remind me of PPL, especially the last song on the cd called funnily enough "The Last Song", at over seven minutes long it starts slowly and builds into a wonderful harmonius chorus, and there's a great guitar solo in the middle that would have been at home on Bustin Out, or the first album. And two other tracks on hear Broken Man and Let Me Die are achingly beautiful, send shivers down my spine.
I can really recommend this album to Prairie dogs.
Sorry if i've ranted on a bit, i hope you dont mind me mentioning these other groups here.
In amongst all this mainstream rubbish there are some great independant acts worth searching out, and it's great to see this type of music making a comeback.

Cheers Roger
Proud1

Postby jpmagg3 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:25 pm

proud1 said:
Sorry if i've ranted on a bit, i hope you dont mind me mentioning these other groups here.

On the contrary - this is one of the best possible functions of a board like this...helping the genre thrive can't be a bad thing for PPL. I can't speak for the site admin here but it seems he's open to this kind of back and forth, and I appreciate it (the same can't be said for other boards I belong to). We obviously can't all meet one another for actual word-of-mouth recommendations, but the web is the next best thing. Now to check out those new cds...
jpmagg3

Postby rfa77 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 am

Hi P1,
As usual, you're a source for some good music. Myself, I just found out about a group called Little Big Town, 2 guys and 2 gals, who remind me of a country-rockified Fleetwood Mac. Their latest CD has Union Station adding much depth to the sound with their mandolins, banjos, dobros. And, yes, thier vocals do have a similiarity to the Starland Vocal Band, but much more sophisticated. One of their songs, A Little More You, has great harmonies (as do most of the other songs), but it opens with this Bad Company "Shooting Star" guitar riff. GO check it out.
rfa77

Postby Proud1 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Who remembers The Rosslyn Mountain Boys, they had two Country Rock albums released in the late Seventies early eighties. The self titled debut album 1978, and Lone Outsider 1982. Well they have reformed and have a new album out called Different Skyline with original steel Guitar player Tommy Hannum, a much underrated player, any one familiar with him, he was recently band leader in Ricky Van Sheltons group.
You can check the album out at cd Baby, who also now have that Remedy Motel cd so you can now listen to the tracks i mentioned in my first post.

Happy listening
Roger.
Proud1

Return to Pure Prairie League