Billy Hinds

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Billy Hinds

Postby Skarthi » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:29 pm

There's nothing wrong with the latest PPL line-up. In fact, I believe that the new album is their finest since "Bustin' Out", but does anybody know why Billy Hinds isn't in the band anymore?
O.K. O.K. The Brit's aboard.
Skarthi

Postby Tom » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Skarthi,

I believe Billy injured an arm and retired from drummimg. After leaving PPL in the early 80's he performed with The Goshorn Bros Band for quite a few years into the 90's, in fact he appears on their live CD True Stories. He was dynamite, and gave PPL many great years. I still have the drumsticks he gave me after a show on 6-12-80 !

Glad you like the new CD, it's a winner that's for sure .

All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby LIDog » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:33 am

I'm really sorry to hear about Billy's arm. I hope there's a chance that it will heal up.

I was lucky enough to get myself a copy of "Mementos" (which I'll follow up on in a different post) and was missing him. Too bad he wasn't on a track or two. He played some very memorable drums over the years. I thought his work on the Two Lane Highway record in particular was really inspired.

In a recent interview, Ringo Starr talked about his own attempts at playing the guitar, and how so many guitarists that he had played with wanted to get behind his drum kit. His conclusion was that guitarists all want to play the drums, and drummers all want to play the guitar.

There must be some truth in that, because as a teenager I loved to put on the headphones and play the drums along with "Takin' the Stage" (yet another testimony as to how great that record was, and why it should be re-released.) It was a great record to play along with. So many different types of beats and memorable fill-ins.

Hats off to you, Billy. You're a great drummer.
LIDog

Postby billyJvoltare » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:20 pm

I had a chance to ask Mike Reilly about Billy Hinds and the story that Tom relayed is the same as what Mike told me.

Agree completely that Billy Hinds is legendary.
And in Rick Schell, there couldn't have been a better talent to take over on the drum kit behind PPL.
I love the current lineup. I sure hope it lasts awhile.
billyJvoltare

Return to Pure Prairie League