Mementos

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Mementos

Postby Skarthi » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi! I'm new to this. I live in the U.K. How can I get the "Mementos" CD?
O.K. O.K. The Brit's aboard.
Skarthi

Postby Tom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:34 pm

Nice to have you here. Mementos is out of print, it appears on ebay from time to time.

Have you ordered the new CD All In Good Time yet ?

It's terrific, it's the thing to go for right now and you can get it right on this site!

Take care, Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Mementos

Postby Skarthi » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:55 am

Hi Tom

Yes, "All in Good Time" should be on its way to me. I'll watch out for "Mementos". Who are the players on that one? Did Gary Burr ever record with the band?

Thanks.
Skarthi

Postby Tom » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:48 am

Hi Skarthi,

The band when Mementos was recorded was Craig Fuller, Mike Reilly, Tim Goshorn, Mike Connor , Joel Rosenblatt (drums), Dan Clawson (sax). Various members made guest appearances on different songs , Vince Gill on guitars and banjo, John Call on steel, Gary Burr , guitars, background vocals, Mike Hamilton , guitars, Larry Goshorn , guitar and vocals ( Two Lane), George Ed Powell , guitar -vocals (Country Song).

This was the only time Gary Burr recorded with PPL. An interesting side note : RCA would not allow Vince Gill to do vocals, but let him play guitar. they made it difficult for PPL to release this, but PPL made it happen. The band did this for fun, a thank you thing to fans from so many years.

Hopefully your new CD will be there soon, you'll have a good time with it, no pun intended. They sound great, it's a nice shot in the arm to hear this music again. Nice to see another UK prairiedog on board !

All the best,

Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Proud1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:32 am

Hi Skarthi, great to have another fellow brit on board.

I was lucky enough to pick up a new copy of Mementos earlier this year from amazon . com. If you check them out now they may have new or used copies available from various sellers.
I,d love a copy of that fuller kaz album on cd, can email you my address if thats okay.

Cheers Roger.
Proud1

Postby Skarthi » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Roger

Fuller Kaz is no problem. Just email your address to me at david.spirit@virgin.net and I'll send you a free copy. Anyone else who's interested can mail me too. I know, I'm a generous guy!

P.S. You didn't really think Skarthi was my real name, did you?
Skarthi

Postby Skarthi » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:15 pm

Roger

You're a genius. I've just ordered "Mementos" from Amazon fir the equivalent of about £13. Thanks to people for offering to copy it. You deserve your copy of Fuller Kaz!

Skarthi
Skarthi

Postby LIDog » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:49 pm

[quote="Skarthi"] I've just ordered "Mementos" from Amazon for the equivalent of about £13. [/quote]

Just to clarify, this is the equivilent of $13,756 US dollars, or 2 Indian rupees, or 4.5 billion francs. See? I'm a financial wiz!

Mementos is definitely a great addition to the collection. What an ambitious project to bring in all those folks to participate. It's a really good thing that they not only took the opportunity to bring back some old friends, but that they got some recordings of the band at that time. How pathetic that they had to pull teeth to get it released. And nothing is more pathetic than the record people not letting Gill sing. (Except maybe my money conversion table above.)

I highly recommend Mementos. George Ed singing "Country Song" again, Craig singing "Let Me Love You Tonight" for crying out loud! And very nice to hear Tim Goshorn do a version of his song "Sun Shone Lightly". Everybody is in great voice. Pick it up if you can.

Best wishes,
Dog (Man's best friend)
LIDog

Postby Zero Zagnut » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:40 pm

LIDog wrote:
Skarthi wrote: I've just ordered "Mementos" from Amazon for the equivalent of about £13.

Just to clarify, this is the equivilent of $13,756 US dollars, or 2 Indian rupees, or 4.5 billion francs. See? I'm a financial wiz!

Dog (Man's best friend)

Good lawd, Dog!!! "Mementos" is bringing 13 thousand dollars? Shoot, I'm gonna have to list mine on eBay so I can buy a new car or somethin'. :wink:
Zero Zagnut

Postby Tom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Mementos was always a ton of fun. The irony was too much, Craig singing what Vince sang, after years of Vince singing what Craig sang. Gill has stated in interviews that singing Amie was always a thrill, he loved being part of that classic. Although RCA was not very cooperative about the whole thing, in the end it kind of added to the fun, the way things worked out. Powell, Call, the Lizard,Young Tim, etc all back in the saddle for the ride, marking Craig's first return to PPL. I really enjoyed the new ones too, I loved Craig's singing on Never Thought Love Would Find Me especially, he really had a powerful punch on it, what a shock, right ? There were only 5000 of these printed and can be found on ebay now and then for reasonable prices.

I remember waiting for this one. PPL had been playing quite a few dates, saw them several times and they played a few new ones which were going to be on it. Like all years, those were very special times too. I knew it was wrapped but the release was being held up by RCA. I was working late one night, ran out for something to eat. There was a Sam Goody's next door which I ran into every single day. That night I stopped in and there it was in both cassette and CD !! I couldn't believe it. I bought a few cassettes, and a CD although at the time I still wasn't using one. I went right back and played it in a player at the office where there was no one but myself and one other person. I played it over and over, got nothing accomplished, but the OT was very nice.

A few years later I left it on the front seat of my car along with a Beatles Masters cassette. Mementos was stolen, the Beatles untouched. I was extremely PO'd, but did admit that the thief had much class, although that probably wouldn't have prevented me from using a tire iron on him if I caught him. I was forced to break down and get a CD player, I still had the CD.

Take care, Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby billyJvoltare » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 pm

Great story, Tom.

Someone was kind enough to burn a copy for me a few years ago long after it was out of print.
If I could find a reasonably priced one (or if it was rereleased) I'd snap it up in a second, just to get a copy of the actual credits on this one.
This is a treasure; if only the clueless powers-that-be could figure it out.
billyJvoltare

Postby LIDog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:50 pm

The credits/photos are a must. The photos are small, and black and white, but they're cool. And it's fun to see who plays on everything. Pickin' to Beat the Devil has John Call on pedal steel and Vince Gill on acoustic guitar, mandolin and banjo. Can't beat that.
LIDog

Return to Pure Prairie League