What is the connect: POCO and Craig Fuller ?

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

What is the connect: POCO and Craig Fuller ?

Postby davelefeber » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:08 pm

I have noticed on several of POCO's latest releases Craig Fuller has co-written some material and provided vocals on several tracks. Are Rusty Young and Paul Cotton of POCO very close with Fuller musically? IMHO, Fuller is and would be a great asset to POCO. Currently. Bill Lloyld has been filling in for Paul Cotton who experienced some heart problems on tour in Holland in November.
davelefeber

Postby MartinD28 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:25 pm

I believe they're close enough in style - same genre. However Craig, Rusty, and Paul all have distinguishable writing styles / skills. I think the same agent books both PPL and Poco. That may be one of the reasons the bands play together in concert here and there. That's a combo I'd like to see.
MartinD28

Postby billyJvoltare » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:39 pm

That's pretty interesting, because when Running Horse came out several years ago, PPL was kind of in limbo, I also spotted Craig's name on the CD, and thought how cool would it be if he became part of Poco. But better than that is having both bands alive and well, and Paul Cotton is expected to be on board for the band when it gears back up in January. (That's not to say I wouldn't love to have the great Bill Lloyd stay on.)
Yes, a Pure Prairie League/Poco Pairing (try saying it five times fast) is tremendous, and I'm hoping for more of those in '06.
billyJvoltare

Postby davelefeber » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:58 am

yeah- I agree. PPL and POCO is a pretty darn good pairing. The big questions is does the market exit for both bands to be on the same bill. It is very difficult booking dates these days for 70's bands especially if you are not the Eagles or Eric Clapton.
davelefeber

Postby sjy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 3:31 am

It's a heck of a lot better than the Styx (without their singer)/Journey (without their singer)/Foreiner (with their singer) arena rocking tours. :lol: Gotta believe there's enough of us out there who'll gladly pay to see a Poco/PPL show.
sjy

Postby davelefeber » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:44 am

I work a bit with TN's legendary southern rockers the Winters Brothers Band. I tell ya, it is getting very difficult booking and keeping bands on the road these days. The younger generation does not share the same interest as we did in live miusic. Let's hope PPL and Poco can keep on securing good dates and remain profitable (somewhat) .
davelefeber

Postby MartinD28 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:50 pm

davelefeber wrote:I work a bit with TN's legendary southern rockers the Winters Brothers Band. I tell ya, it is getting very difficult booking and keeping bands on the road these days. The younger generation does not share the same interest as we did in live miusic. Let's hope PPL and Poco can keep on securing good dates and remain profitable (somewhat) .

Dave,

Have always thought Dennis & Donnie were outstanding musicians & fronted great versions of the Winters Brothers Band. First heard them on a promo album in the late '70's and was very very impressed. Had a chance to see them back then live, and they kicked! Picked up a copy of "Southern Rockers" couple years ago...studio plus live cuts - a good representation of this fine band. Wish they'd tour a bit more. Most of their gigs are in TN. For those who haven't heard of this band, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of one of their CD's. Check their web site.
MartinD28

Postby davelefeber » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:01 pm

Martin:

The WBB has worked with Poco and PPL in the past. The band actually did about 25 dates this season with the Tuckers, 38 Spec, Charlie Daniels and LS. The Band's original ATCO RECORDS release in 1976 has just been released on CD after 30 years ! I always felt WBB and PPL would be a good fit along with POCO. The three bands are all bout the WILD WILD WEST ! Give Dennis a hollar at winbroband@aol.com. I always pump PPL when I can out on the road.........
davelefeber

Return to Pure Prairie League