Seven Springs Concert - The New CD is Here!

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

Seven Springs Concert - The New CD is Here!

Postby Balertwine » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:21 pm

Hey! Just back from Seven Springs. Oh what a fine fine concert! Sold out too, and packed with a crowd of enthusiastic fans. Poco opened the show, then Pure Prairie League, and then Firefall closed -- a dream come true for country rock fans! It was a great show that rocked from 7 PM til 12:30.
Now I don't remember the complete set list, I'll leave that to others with a better memory than me, but one of the first songs was Early Morning Riser, from Bustin' Out, and let me tell you, Craig Fuller's vocals were great. We could tell that the whole band had been on the road all year, and though the set was shorter than when I saw them in Akron Ohio in February, they sounded even better. They did a Merle Haggard tune, followed by I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle. Ha! And, unlike the gig in Akron, they had Fats Kaplin in the band playing a fine pedal steel guitar, mandolin, and fiddle. What a sound! It was great.
Standouts in the performance were two new tunes, Gettin' Over You, and Don't Go Confessing Your Love. Their harmonies were superb, and Curtis Wright's lead guitar work was right on the money. Mike Reilly, the eternal joker, had the crowd cracking up when he scolded a person for requesting a tune by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. "Chicken Train? Chicken Train?!?!? Look at your ticket stub -- Poco, Firefall, and Pure Prairie League!!!!!" Oh, what a hoot!
And of course, Falling In and Out of Love, followed by Amie, had the crowd on its feet singing along. Yeah, excellent!
Oh, new tunes, did I mention new tunes from the new CD? Yes, I did! I have it playing right now. Don't you? Well, you will soon. I have it cranking on One of Those Things, another standout from the concert. Oh, what a fine CD. The cat's out of the bag, finally!
As a tip of the hat to the fact we had to patiently wait this long for Craig Fuller to return to the helm, the CD is named All In Good Time... -- and Craig wrote or co-wrote all but two of the tunes. And the cowboy is back on the cover! Throughout the CD, the musicianship is superb, the songwriting is comparable to none, and the harmonies lead by Craig's vocals are unmatched by anything I've heard in years. You are going to love this CD. The overall sound is on the money - Rick's steady driving drums, Mike's bass, Craig's and Curtis's guitars, and rounded out perfectly with Fats Kaplin's tasteful touches of fiddle, mandolin, accordion, and pedal steel guitar. In addition to Craig's songs, they do a fine new version of Cajun Girl, which Craig sang on Little Feat's Let It Roll album, and the CD closes with the Curtis Wright/Robert Orral-penned live tune, If You Could Say What I'm Thinking, from the Chillicothe concert earlier this year.
The band autographed CD's after their show, and they were all happy as can be. The CD isn't even in its final pressing yet -- the artwork and all is done, but they are burned onto these record-once-only CD's especially for this concert, and the artwork isn't cluttered with one of those UPC barcodes yet (surely a sign the world's ending soon!). I had a chance to talk with the band, and chatted a bit with Craig during the first couple of songs when Firefall was onstage. Yes, All In Good Time, indeed.
So to all too far away to cruise down through the mountains of Pennsylvania to check out the show, it was great, and the good news is the new CD is here, and you're gonna love it, beginning to end, and you'll play it to death. Just a good thing we can't wear out the grooves on this one!
Balertwine

Postby MartinD28 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:39 pm

Thanks for the review. Looks like you really enjoyed the show. Looking forward to hearing the new CD - sounds like it's a winner. It's been a while, and the long time fans are going to get a "wish come true". Hope they tour a bunch in the new year.
MartinD28

Seven Springs Review

Postby oilman55 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:07 pm

Balertwine, thanks for the great review! I came SO close to flying out for the concert, but decided to spend my Thanksgiving weekend with the family. What a tough choice to have to make, eh? - my three all-time favorite bands! Man, I can't wait to get my hands on that new CD!

I hope its as great as the first album, which I am right now copying from LP to CD using Nero Ultra Edition 6. With this software & a good turntable & pre-amp, anyone can do it with a little practice. Of course, you have to be able to get your hands on the LP's!!

Thanks again!

Oilman55 in Denton, Texas
oilman55

Postby Proud1 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:06 am

Thanks ever so much for the review Balertwine. For an Englishman so far away you,ve made my day. Cant wait to get the new Cd, the most important release since "Running Horse." I sincerely hope i get the chance to see this wonerful band playing live someday soon.

Cheers Roger.
Proud1

New CD

Postby sjy » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:13 am

I just pulled out my Fuller & Kaz cd from '78 and had to google Craig Fuller. I lost track of him after he left Little Feat and had no idea that he was back and that the band was active, let alone a new album on the way. This is great news! Is there any way of pre-ordering the new cd?

Steve
sjy

Return to Pure Prairie League