John David Call

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

John David Call

Postby Butch » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:49 pm

PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE,
If anyone can help me talk to John David Call, it would mean a very great deal to me. I play pedal steel and he was has been and will always be the one who put that crazy instrument in my soul.

I have talked to Larry, through his web site, but he says he dosent know where John is.

WHAT A PEDAL STEEL PLAYER!!!!!
please if you know how to contact him, i would love to communicate to him.

PPL for ever
Butch Bennett
be.bennett2@verizon.net
    [/b]
    Butch

Postby Steven Buchholz » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:31 pm

:lol: Put in Two Lane HWY today. Listened to Memories. Has to be one of the most phenomenal pieces of pedal steel work ever played. What a beautiful song. John David Call was the man. Does look like he is no where to be found though. What a waste of talent!!!!!!
    Steven Buchholz

Re: John David Call

Postby Vice Admiral Swiss Navy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:06 pm

Butch wrote:PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE,
    If anyone can help me talk to John David Call, it would mean a very great deal to me. I play pedal steel and he was has been and will always be the one who put that crazy instrument in my soul.

WHAT A PEDAL STEEL PLAYER!!!!!
    please if you know how to contact him, i would love to communicate to him.

PPL for ever
    Butch Bennett
    be.bennett2@verizon.net
      [/b]

Butch:

If you send me some contact information in a PM (personal message) I will be heading to Waverly for Christmas and I will make no promises but I will see what I can do.

Mike
      Vice Admiral Swiss Navy

Postby Tom » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:30 pm

Steven Buchholz wrote::lol: Put in Two Lane HWY today. Listened to Memories. Has to be one of the most phenomenal pieces of pedal steel work ever played. What a beautiful song. John David Call was the man. Does look like he is no where to be found though. What a waste of talent!!!!!!

Welcome Steven, nice to hear from you.

Ah ! A great excuse to talk some more about John.

I couldn't agree more about John's brilliance. You mentioned Memories, but the thing about John is you can do that with any song he did. He turned everything into a work of art, his steel could rock like no one when called upon, scorching, and at other times come across with such elegance, with some of the most beautful melodies you could want to hear. You're Between Me, Country Song, Take It Before You Go, Flat Tire Merle, San Antonio, Aren't You Mine, Came Through, Dark Colors, Kentucky Moonshine--again, you name it, whatever he did, it excelled.

From the very first song on PPL's debut LP, Tears, it was obvious John was special. He took the steel front and center , his interactions with the lead guitar especially mesmerizing. His work was a focal point of the band, and after Craig left and before TLH was released, PPL relied heavily on John to carry the load musically as Larry , George and Mike wrote new tunes. His steel set the tone of PPL's path from day one right up to the sensational new CD All In Good Time. John's intro's on so many tunes were incredibly creative, no cliches from this guy, you were immediately hooked.

As far as the "waste of talent " part, well, that depends on your perspective. That phrase is probably quite humorous to him as the first time he may have heard it was from his Professors , who thought John was wasting his time putting his engineering plans on hold to pursue the vision that he Craig and George shared. John left PPL due to severe back problems, and he made a wise choice to take care of the situation at that point in time. The constant touring left him stretched out over several plane seats just to make the next show, not to mention the pain involved. Fortunately he recovered nicely.

As several people from here know quite well John never disappeared, he simply went to a new arena, as he continued to play locally , and also taught steel at times. In fact, thanks to Fanzine, I will soon be posting some pics of John with Six Shooter , one of the groups JD played with, from Marietta, OH in the 70's!

John was an extremly bright guy and he went on to become a very successful engineer, so, John's talents were not simply limited to the musical world. I had the pleasure on a few occasions to listen to John have a "casual " chat with his brother Jim ( like John, very bright and as nice a guy you could want to meet). I never considered myself a slouch (well, not completely ) but I'd leave with my head spinning as these guys were on another wave length ! Looking back, I guess it's fair to say he conquered both worlds, when at one point the naysayers thought he was maybe heading the wrong way no matter what he did. I guess he knew a little something !

Over the years John appeared on a few projects, including an early 90's release from MTB called Still Smokin' . More recently John hooked up with old PPL friend JD Blackfoot on the recent CD release Yellowhand ( JD Blackfoot helped produce the PPL CD Mementos and Craig played with him in '69 on the Ultimate Prophecy)

Steven, John can be found ! Craig and Mike sure found their old buddy ! I don't know if you had a chance to look through the whole site yet, but John and George Ed Powell both recently appeared for two glorious nights in Chillicothe OH with PPL . Those there, including the band, cannot say enough good things about the talent John and George still have. John's wife Andrea, a gifted singer, also performed as did many old PPL bandmates and friends. One song, a Curtis Wright tune, If You Say What I'm Thinking is on the new CD, and I can tell you it's a killer cut ! You'll love it, and hearing that great Chillicothe crowd roaring their approval of the hometown boys is simply wonderful.

That's about it for now, please enjoy the holiday season.

Tom
      Tom
      Site Admin

Return to Pure Prairie League