East Orange Express

Fan Forum for Pure Prairie League

East Orange Express

Postby Forever21 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:12 pm

Just got finished reading about the Fort Thomas celebration and saw a few mentions in there about the band that I just asked about in a separate post. You guys are absolutely awesome so I JUST KNOW someone will fill me in on that group! Where did they get that name?? etc, etc. Thank you all! Oh, one last thing that I found: A huge colored poster of Two Lane Highway, must have been in my vinyl copy.
Forever21

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:21 pm

Check under your other thread about artifacts where I gave a quick rundown.
Tom
Site Admin

East Orange Express

Postby prairiedog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:43 pm

Hi 21 !
The leader of the East Orange Express was a guy named Danny Morgan. You'll be able to find info on Danny thru his website. He's now a fixture in the Sanibel/Captiva scene in Florida. He formed the group in the Fort Thomas/Cincinnati area in the mid-60's, and named the band after the sign on a bus marquee! Morgan recruited Hinds, Connor and Reilly, and played the folk & rock clubs in Cincinnati. The band continued after Morgan left and had several notable members until it disbanded in the 70's. Somewhere there's a promo kit for the EOE that's a real hoot.
Let us know what you find out.
Best,
Prairiedog
prairiedog

Postby Forever21 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 pm

Like I said, you guys are awesome! Thanks so much!
Forever21

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:19 am

Well, well, it's prairiedog to the rescue, you can't get much more reliable info than that !

A "hoot" ????? You can take the boy out of Kentucky but you can't take the Kentucky out of the boy. Great stuff, prairiedog.

I'm not sure if I should thank you for giving out that info re: the promo kit on the EOE. I remember what it took to find the Lee Riders, coming up empty everywhere in the U.S. and England, finally securing a copy from a site in France and they had only one! I was happy to get it, don't misunderstand me, but I really was shocked to see that they rioted for two straight weeks because of it, that's a bit uncalled for, poor sportsmanship. I won, fair and square, that's it, case closed.

Anyway, look under the Photo forum where I put up a concert poster from Cincinnati that featured The East Orange Express.
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Proud1 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:31 am

I'm not sure if I should thank you for giving out that info re: the promo kit on the EOE. I remember what it took to find the Lee Riders, coming up empty everywhere in the U.S. and England, finally securing a copy from a site in France and they had only one! I was happy to get it, don't misunderstand me, but I really was shocked to see that they rioted for two straight weeks because of it, that's a bit uncalled for, poor sportsmanship. I won, fair and square, that's it, case closed.

Lol Tom. So what is that Lee Riders album actually like, any info would be appreciated.

Cheers Roger.
Proud1

Postby Tom » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:40 am

Hi Roger,

The LP was a real pleasant surprise, (blimey?), since I was not sure exactly what style they guys were doing, pure country, rock, a little blues etc, since they all had such musical depth in their background. In a way, I think you could say all of these are incorporated into the LP. One thing that jumped out at me at first listening was Conway's piano. He , as usual, had a real imaginative touch. In some ways his work and a song or two reminded me of something you might hear in an old western, almost in a barroom type scene. I loved his influence in some songs. A couple of tunes also seem to me to have that late 60's or early 70's influence to them a musical standpoint, or feeling , if you know what I mean, but clearly it leans more toward country-western rock with a touch of the blues.Tough to pinpoint, it's definitley not a " hokey" type thing if that helps. Very good lead vocals by Robert Lee, some catchy lyrics too. A tight band, then again you have Mike Reilly and Mike Connor , who by that point had already been together for years ! I'm certain that had a big influence on the final outcome of the overall direction and sound the songs ultimately took. Vocally , a song called Phenomenological blues(just the name makes me think of the late 60's ) sounded real nice at first asking, in fact, the whole tune seemed to shine.

What a route they took to get this done. The guys leave Kentucky and Ohio, converge in Woodstock NY, then head to England to record it and tour there ! For young guys they really got around.
All the best,
Tom
Tom
Site Admin

Postby Proud1 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:16 am

Thanks for the review Tom, sounds like an okay album. Shall have to put it on the wants list.

Cheers Rog.
Proud1

Return to Pure Prairie League